Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,996,684 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised Catholic, but am no longer a practicing one. Just curious what Protestant religions think of the Virgin Mary? She has an important place in catholicism. There is a Mary statue in every church. She is often asked in prayers to intercede between us and God, the one that you pray to when you really want something badly. Do Protestant religions think of her in the same way?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I was born and raised Catholic, but am no longer a practicing one. Just curious what Protestant religions think of the Virgin Mary? She has an important place in catholicism. There is a Mary statue in every church. She is often asked in prayers to intercede between us and God, the one that you pray to when you really want something badly. Do Protestant religions think of her in the same way?
I'm going to work on a thread on this. This ends up being a deeply rooted heresy as the Scriptures clearly state that Jesus is sole mediator and High Priest after the Order of Melchizedek. To give mediator office to his earthly mother, is taking away Jesus Christ's current main role as sole mediator between God and Man. There are also a number of Scriptures clearly refuting the concept of his earthly mother being on the pedastool that she has been put on. In doing this not only are they creating an "other Jesus" that Scripture warns us about (ie one that needs many mediators) it is taking Glory away from the KING of Kings and LORD of Lords Jesus Christ.

In reality the enemy works in both exoteric (what they tell you it means) and exoteric (what it means to them). Pagan infiltration of Christianity happened shortly after Contstantine in 321AD with one of his recently following successors. "Mother Mary" of Catholiscm represents the Babylonian Pagan goddess Isis - their "Queen of Heaven". The usurping Jezebel Spirit.

They will deny this of course. Most Catholics are simply deceived not knowing the depths of the enemy.

Matthew 15:14
Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Jeremiah 7:18
The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:51 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,586 times
I think the better question is
how did Christ's Disciples view Mary after Jesus death?

Surely, there is no Ministry of Mary recorded among them.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times
Mary is used by Protestants to put Catholicism down.

God does not care if Catholics use or does not use Mary in their prayers. However, Protestants that need to put down others to feel good think it is blasphemy.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
Mary is the mother of Jesus, correctly called the "Mother of God"

However, she was not sinless. There is nothing in the Bible about her being born sinless. She had other children, so she didn't remain a virgin, as the Bible clearly teaches. She died, and as not taken to heaven alive either. She is dead and in heaven just as are all dead Christians who have died in faith. A few texts may help.

Mt 1:25 But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus. Obviously after she gave birth, Joseph had a normal sexual relationship with his wife, and we know this because the Bible documents the other children.  

Mt 12:46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Mt 12:47 Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you."
After all, the church history records that Jesus brother James, wrote the book of James, and was pastor of the Jerusalem church and was martyred in about 62 AD.

Therefore, Mary is like all dead saints, they cannot hear anyone's prayer, so prayer to her is useless. Prayer to Mary is simply pagan idolatry. Jesus clearly taught that we should pray directly to the Father in all our needs.
Mt 4:10 Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’’"

Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,964,142 times
Mary is not in heaven and is not alive to be prayed to. She is in the tomb just like David is and all the other saints awaiting the resurrection. But she is highly esteemed for being chosen to bear the Christ child, that's for sure.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 AM

987 posts, read 1,118,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Mary is not in heaven and is not alive to be prayed to. She is in the tomb just like David is and all the other saints awaiting the resurrection. But she is highly esteemed for being chosen to bear the Christ child, that's for sure.
This is also what I believe. The angel told Mary she was highly favored. What a delight Yeshua must have been growing up, as well as puzzling. It also must have been very difficult to see the pain and suffering he endured. I can't imagine all the emotions she went through up to the point of his death and then the hope and joy when she learned of his resurrection.

Luke 11:27 And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.

28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

I think this makes it pretty clear that Mary was not to be set apart from any other believer. I will enjoy meeting her and hearing of her experiences, but I don't believe she is to be thought of as having any special powers and I see no Biblical basis to direct prayers to her. We have been granted the privilege of going directly to the Father with our prayers. He is never too busy to hear our prayers and He knows what is best for us....is Mary omniscient in that she knows what is best for us and our lives that she can advise our creator? I believe there is another verse in the Bible that asks if there is someone who can give advice to God. The attributes of God are both male and female. When we pray to Him, we are praying to one who has all the love and more that we could attribute to Mary.

Wishing all our Catholic brethren peace on this day and renewed strength for the journey.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM

130 posts, read 153,011 times
I don't have a denomination, but I guess you could say I'm a product of the prostestant reformation. Let me say this, there are many cultures who worship in their own special way. We are all unique, but we all worship the Lord and have receive our salvation from Him. Denominations to me are mostly a wedge between the brethren. Something to keep us apart. Again I say we have different cultural backgrounds, but denominations teaches different doctrines.

With all that said, there's no question the Church of Rome, throughout it's thousand+ years, have elevated Mary to heights she does not deserve. Yes, God choose her to give birth to our Lord, and she is extremely blessed. Yet to say she is sinless, is that not going overboard? Praying through Mary? As if God will hear her more than anybody else? Didn't Jesus Himself say that those who do the will of our Father, would be His brothers/sisters/mothers? Never once did Jesus elevate Mary to where the Roman Church has elevated her. In fact, Jesus never called Mary "Mother", because she was not above Him, and she needed Him like we all need Him.

So, I think there's definitely a problem there.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,247 times
[quote=Mikelee81;24516013]I'm going to work on a thread on this. This ends up being a deeply rooted heresy as the Scriptures clearly state that Jesus is sole mediator and High Priest after the Order of Melchizedek. To give mediator office to his earthly mother, is taking away Jesus Christ's current main role as sole mediator between God and Man. There are also a number of Scriptures clearly refuting the concept of his earthly mother being on the pedastool that she has been put on. In doing this not only are they creating an "other Jesus" that Scripture warns us about (ie one that needs many mediators) it is taking Glory away from the KING of Kings and LORD of Lords Jesus Christ.

In reality the enemy works in both exoteric (what they tell you it means) and exoteric (what it means to them). Pagan infiltration of Christianity happened shortly after Contstantine in 321AD with one of his recently following successors. "Mother Mary" of Catholiscm represents the Babylonian Pagan goddess Isis - their "Queen of Heaven". The usurping Jezebel Spirit.

They will deny this of course. Most Catholics are simply deceived not knowing the depths of the enemy.
More ignorant twaddle. I, and other Catholics, are most assuredly NOT "deceived"!

Matthew 15:14
Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Jeremiah 7:18
The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.
[/quote

Last edited by hornet67; 05-30-2012 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-30-2012, 12:16 PM

131 posts, read 260,718 times
I consider her the mother of Jesus, anything concerning statues or praying too falls into idolatry (my opinion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity