Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:54 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
What always astounds me is how women get berated and thrown out of places for breastfeeding in public.
Breast feeding an infant, does not fall into the same category as "plumbers-butt."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,328 times
We've had some fun with this subject, and we've been serious with it. I want to copy this answer, because this is basically what I intended also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbOfMemphisTN View Post
^^While I very much believe that in the recent generations, clothing has become more and more skimpy for younger and younger girls, I also believe that the morals/values of society has severly declined. If we taught our girls their true value in Christ and the fact that it has nothing to do with their body or clothing, taught young men to be more respectful of women and expect for them to be modest as well the society could be very much improved. If people stopped buying themselves or their children these skimpy, tight, revealing clothing the designers would make soemthing new. If models weren't all a size 0 and 1, then our girls would have "real" people to look at in magizenes and on tv.
I am teaching my 16 year old boy about respect..for himself and for women, and to expect modesty. No one wants something that everyone has seen or had!! I am teaching my preteen daughter that modesty is a way to show everyone that she respects herself and values herself enough to cover up and not show everybody her "goods". It's hard, the kids want to wear namebrand clothing, popular designers, and yet they are the ones that are provoking our youth to wear these things....I want a designer to come out and make an absolutely adorable clothing line with modesty & respect in mind.

I very much agree with the OP
As an older woman, I, too, have a rough time finding clothing in which I feel modest. Having lost 94 pounds, it is a little easier, however. The designers (if one can even call them that) of clothing for larger women are merciless! Either dress dowdy or buy their plunging necklines, it had seemed.

One person decried that I had not mentioned Scripture. That is the easy part. I had a fairly bad fall last night, and sitting is painful, so i will start with the "easy part" from the ESV this time.

This one comes from the Scripture my husband reads to me on Friday nights:
"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised" Prov 31:30. While it does not address clothing, and it is to women, this is the first reason why all of us will dress modestly.

This one can caution us, too, to not be impressed by appearances and that the heart is the source of what we do: But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart” 1 Sam 16:7. "Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment" John 7:24. "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own" 1 Cor 6:19.

Here's one that mentions what we desire others to see in how we dress, what we do, the possessions we may flaunt: "For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world" 1 John 2:16. And this one follows closely to that theme: "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" 1 Cor 10:31.

While the "clothing" in this verse is about attitudes and actions, it still applies to what we wear as well, because what we wear is also an indication of the heart: "Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you" 1 Peter 5:5-6.

Some would like to make it seem that modesty is not wearing gold or jewels. They use such Scriptures as "Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious" 1 Peter 3:3-4. But that is not what Peter intended. His intention was that we not put our hope in these things but rather be gentle and quiet in spirit. Then, these things will not be our only adorning. After all, would Peter offend our Maker who sees beauty in His Israel when He sees her bejewelled in this Scripture?: Ezek 16:10 I clothed you also with embroidered cloth and shod you with fine leather. I wrapped you in fine linen and covered you with silk.a 11 And I adorned you with ornaments and put bracelets on your wrists and a chain on your neck. 12 And I put a ring on your nose and earrings in your ears and a beautiful crown on your head. 13 Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was of fine linen and silk and embroidered cloth...."

Others would like to tell women that we should not wear pants/slacks. They use Deut 22:5 "A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God." But this is not the intend of the Scripture. The intent is that people, not just women, should not disguise our selves as the opposite gender.

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body" 1 Cor 6:19-20.

So, there are some Scriptures. I am going back to bed.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
warning, pet peeve ahead.

What always astounds me is how women get berated and thrown out of places for breastfeeding in public.

Oh NO!!!!!!! *gasp*!!!! A woman is feeding her baby!!

We musn't have that!!

Since it is obvious it bothers other people (in US, not in Europe), then wouldn't it make sense to breast-feed in privacy, or use a towel? People do not urinate openly on the streets because they understand it bothers others.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:20 AM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Since it is obvious it bothers other people (in US, not in Europe), then wouldn't it make sense to breast-feed in privacy, or use a towel? People do not urinate openly on the streets because they understand it bothers others.

You are comparing urinating to feeding a baby?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
You are comparing urinating to feeding a baby?
Hmm, the comparison may not be spot-on, but I am talking about actions which bother other people when done in public. Why would you insist on doing something public when you know it bothers others? It is inconsiderate.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,328 times
I may explode.

No, I just remembered that Finn was clear that he was from another country.

Most believing women in the States are very aware of the way breastfeeding is looked upon in the States, and they cover. Some people here even complain about that!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
V Queen- I totally agree with you in every way here!! It's especially bad when very young girls are exhibiting this dress style.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
The OP should just join the Amish or the Hutterites. Then she'd be happy. Note that she can quote no biblical text to back up her beliefs. The modesty the New Testament talks about seems to me particularly trying to show off with a display of wealth by displaying expensive jewelry or clothes. I've seen women who were all covered up, but still immodest because of their displays of weath. However, each Christian should be free to wear what they are comfortable with, and Christians should stop judging or critiqing others clothes, jewels, house, car, hairstyle, etc.
I don't think it was a judgment. It was a very accurate observation. The decline of a moral society has simply lead to a decline in a willingness for a more conservative appearance.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 AM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Hmm, the comparison may not be spot-on, but I am talking about actions which bother other people when done in public. Why would you insist on doing something public when you know it bothers others? It is inconsiderate.
Actually... what is truly inconsiderate is a person who would ask that a mother NOT feed her hungry child because THEY have some sort of issues with the natural functions of a mother's breast.

Honestly. Society is so messed up.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Actually... what is truly inconsiderate is a person who would ask that a mother NOT feed her hungry child because THEY have some sort of issues with the natural functions of a mother's breast.

Honestly. Society is so messed up.
Maybe that is inconsiderate too, but I think we need to respect the culture and we need to respect other peoples feelings. I would not do something which I knew offends other people just because I feel I have the right to do that. Would you fart in a bus? It is perfectly legal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity