U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 06:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,507,186 times

Advertisements

This is a subject that I feel deserve a great deal of thought.and self examination.
Do we really submit to Spiritual Authority??
Do we lie to the Holy Spirit?? Like Ananais and Sapphira??
What about Romans 13:1-7 ??

THE DUTY OF SUBJECTION TO GOVERNORS. 13:1-7
The grace of the gospel teaches us submission and quiet, where pride and the carnal mind only see causes for murmuring and discontent. Whatever the persons in authority over us themselves may be, yet the just power they have, must be submitted to and obeyed. In the general course of human affairs, rulers are not a terror to honest, quiet, and good subjects, but to evil-doers. Such is the power of sin and corruption, that many will be kept back from crimes only by the fear of punishment. Thou hast the benefit of the government, therefore do what thou canst to preserve it, and nothing to disturb it. This directs private persons to behave quietly and peaceably where God has set them, 1Ti 2:1, 2. Christians must not use any trick or fraud. All smuggling, dealing in contraband goods, withholding or evading duties, is rebellion against the express command of God. Thus honest neighbours are robbed, who will have to pay the more; and the crimes of smugglers, and others who join with them, are abetted. It is painful that some professors of the gospel should countenance such dishonest practices. The lesson here taught it becomes all Christians to learn and practise, that the godly in the land will always be found the quiet and the peaceable in the land, whatever others are. [ Matthew Henry Concise Romans 13]

Just something for me to try to stay focused when it comes to the above passage of scripture. especially when I'm driving, and the speed limit is 25-35 mph in a school/residential district, and I'm doing ummh! say 37-40 ? and what about those rude, bossy telemarketers that sometimes catch me off guard by calling at dinner time or just as I was about to doze off , go to the restroom.. or any other time for that matter. Do I lie to them or do i just say "No thank-you, and hang up? If we're honest with God, what do we really do?
Just something to think about.....Selah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:17 AM

265 posts, read 561,914 times
Cool keep with wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
This is a subject that I feel deserve a great deal of thought.and self examination.
Do we really submit to Spiritual Authority??
Do we lie to the Holy Spirit?? Like Ananais and Sapphira??
What about Romans 13:1-7 ??

THE DUTY OF SUBJECTION TO GOVERNORS. 13:1-7
The grace of the gospel teaches us submission and quiet, where pride and the carnal mind only see causes for murmuring and discontent. Whatever the persons in authority over us themselves may be, yet the just power they have, must be submitted to and obeyed. In the general course of human affairs, rulers are not a terror to honest, quiet, and good subjects, but to evil-doers. Such is the power of sin and corruption, that many will be kept back from crimes only by the fear of punishment. Thou hast the benefit of the government, therefore do what thou canst to preserve it, and nothing to disturb it. This directs private persons to behave quietly and peaceably where God has set them, 1Ti 2:1, 2. Christians must not use any trick or fraud. All smuggling, dealing in contraband goods, withholding or evading duties, is rebellion against the express command of God. Thus honest neighbours are robbed, who will have to pay the more; and the crimes of smugglers, and others who join with them, are abetted. It is painful that some professors of the gospel should countenance such dishonest practices. The lesson here taught it becomes all Christians to learn and practise, that the godly in the land will always be found the quiet and the peaceable in the land, whatever others are. [ Matthew Henry Concise Romans 13]

Just something for me to try to stay focused when it comes to the above passage of scripture. especially when I'm driving, and the speed limit is 25-35 mph in a school/residential district, and I'm doing ummh! say 37-40 ? and what about those rude, bossy telemarketers that sometimes catch me off guard by calling at dinner time or just as I was about to doze off , go to the restroom.. or any other time for that matter. Do I lie to them or do i just say "No thank-you, and hang up? If we're honest with God, what do we really do?
Just something to think about.....Selah

how bout this for an answer:

1 Corinthians 10:31 - Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

if it don't bring him glory, then why do what would bring him dishonor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or