Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:46 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,420,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Sorry to be the one to tell you,but you will never be able to live up to it by trying,this is why I keep saying that you are under condemation while you try live up to the bar.
If you examine yourself and know Jesus Christ is in you, you have passed the test. BE ( Hello) holy for I AM holy. As a man thinks in his heart so IS he. While you are trying to be holy, you will live your whole life in defeat,believe you ARE and you will BE holy.God calls the things that are not as though they ARE.
Ah Ha! I get it what your trying to say. You are right, none of us can ever live up to God's standard. If that were so, we wouldn't need a savior right? But God out of His grace and mercy gives us a way out of our condemnation by trusting on His son, and as a result we have the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit helping us grow as we progress in sanctification. You seem to overlook one clear thing about God. A just and merciful God wouldn't raise a bar so high for us live up to if He didn't provide a means for us to reach it. The way we reach it is through our faith in Jesus, with the help of the Holy Spirit. Amen and Praise God for His grace and mercy. I'm done!

Last edited by antredd; 06-09-2012 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 09:01 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Ah Ha! I get it what your trying to say. You are right, none of us can ever live up to God's standard. If that were so, we wouldn't need a savior right? But God out of His grace and mercy gives us a way out of our condemnation by trusting on His son, and as a result we have the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit helping us grow as we progress in sanctification. You seem to overlook one clear thing about God. A just and merciful God wouldn't raise a bar so high for us live up to if He didn't provide a means for us to reach it. The way we reach it is through our faith in Jesus, with the help of the Holy Spirit. Amen and Praise God for His grace and mercy. I'm done!
Antredd

He didn't raise the bar ( where are you getting this idea ?). He pulled the rug of the teachings and doctrines of men from under the feet of those who thought they were attaining to this imaginary bar. While you believe in this imaginary bar, you will live in failure of it, and condemn others who in your eyes do to, and those you think who are attaining to it, will fall before your own eyes.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
everything in his presence is clean, if we are dirty, guess what? dont worry about Gods attitude, u dont have to get him straightened out, just go take a shower.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:25 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,136 times
I am in pursuit of holiness, Antredd. I started a blog here by transferring some of my struggles with my search for sanctification here. i only put one entry into it, because I have been busy studying it.

The majority of what I have read outside of the Bible are the writings of Joseph Telushkin, but recently, I discovered J.C. Ryle. I have been studying his ideas, working on them.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Antredd

He didn't raise the bar ( where are you getting this idea ?). He pulled the rug of the teachings and doctrines of men from under the feet of those who thought they were attaining to this imaginary bar. While you believe in this imaginary bar, you will live in failure of it, and condemn others who in your eyes do to, and those you think who are attaining to it, will fall before your own eyes.
I was speaking figuratively so that you can at least agree that all of us are fallen, and as result of our fallen nature, we need a savior to help up get back in fellowship with God. Jesus set the bar for all of us. We just have to follow Him. But you did say "Sorry to be the one to tell you,but you will never be able to live up to it by trying,this is why I keep saying that you are under condemnation while you try live up to the bar." To me, you are playing on words and creating your own opinions without justifying it by using Scripture. Show me in Scripture where it says that a Christian is condemned.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
everything in his presence is clean, if we are dirty, guess what? dont worry about Gods attitude, u dont have to get him straightened out, just go take a shower.
I'm smiling!!!!

Old 06-10-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I was speaking figuratively so that you can at least agree that all of us are fallen, and as result of our fallen nature, we need a savior to help up get back in fellowship with God. Jesus set the bar for all of us. We just have to follow Him. But you did say "Sorry to be the one to tell you,but you will never be able to live up to it by trying,this is why I keep saying that you are under condemnation while you try live up to the bar." To me, you are playing on words and creating your own opinions without justifying it by using Scripture. Show me in Scripture where it says that a Christian is condemned.
If you do not have absolute confidence before God, there can only be one reason for it............. A condemned heart.

Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God.

1 John 3:21

Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
If you do not have absolute confidence before God, there can only be one reason for it............. A condemned heart.

Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God.

1 John 3:21
If is a conditional word, if could be translated to since our hearts do not condemn us. You left out verses that help us understand what is being said here. Verse 22 says and whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do the things that are pleasing to him.

Christians who have a clear conscience (v. 21) have confidence (v. 21) that God will answer their prayers because they live lives of obedience (keep his commandments), doing things that are pleasing to him.

The context of 1 John is for Christians to keep God’s commandments and believe in Jesus by showing love for one another, as explained in verse 23 that you left out.

This is what verse 23 says Now this is his commandment: that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he gave us the commandment.

I am starting with verse 19 to bring my point home so that you can see how verse 21 doesn't mean that Christians are condemned.

19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

So reading this in context, it doesn't say that Christians are condemned. If our hearts condemn and if our hearts do not condemn sound very hypothetical to me in the context of Christians being obedient to God and showing love toward each other. I guess when we don't show love, then you can say that condemns us. But your spin on it seems to say that we are all automatically condemned, and the context here doesn't show that.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Antredd you asked me to provide a scripture where a Christian can be condemned, which i did,you did not ask me anything about having prayer answered. I also think you are missing the point by what I am saying in regards to being condemned, I am talking about self condemation through failure. The only condemation that exists comes from our own hearts, not from God. This is why Jesus said "I have not come to condemn the world but save it", I believe He said this because,religion as taught us that God condemns us.

Going back to my original point in response to the OP, if you believe to be Holy is to be all of those 20 things you mentioned, then fall short in any of them, you are under self condemation through failure to live by what you believe is holiness. You cannot possibly BE anything you do not believe you are. You are what you believe you are. As a an thinks in his heart so IS he.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 AM

I made the list to paint a picture and I thought that I made that clear. I think you read more into the list when if you sum it all up holiness is basically us being totally dependent and obedient to God. The list was to compare and contrast our own individual beliefs on holiness not me defining it or making it doctrine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity