U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 AM

3,259 posts, read 5,096,228 times

Advertisements

Hebrews 12:14 says Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord. Here it is. If you don't live holy you can't see God. Again, if we don't live holy we can't see God. WOW!!!!!!!!!

When the Holy Spirit revealed that verse to me, it hit me like a lead balloon because I don't see too many Christians discussing or talking about living holy lives as God has commanded all Christians to live. Today holiness seems to be pushed aside as if it's not important. In other words, holiness appears to be something that is optional for Christians as opposed to really not being a choice for all Christians.

Here are two other verses that hit home on God commanding us to live holy.

Leviticus 11:44 I am the LORD your God; consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am holy. Do not make yourselves unclean by any creature that moves about on the ground.

1 Peter 1:15-16 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”

Peter says that we must be holy in ALL that we do.

What is your biblical interpretation on Christians living holy lives? Tell me what Holiness is and What Holiness isn't.

For me Holiness is:
1.faith in God
2. submission to God
3. obedience to God
4. produced by God
5. commanded by God
6. serving God
7 having fellowship with God
8. A characteristic of God which includes: kindness, mercy, justice, purity, cleanliness, compassion
9. humble
10. a renewed mind
11. a righteous living
12. a state of continued sanctification
13. a life long process
14. a blessing from God
15. a habit
16. resisting the devil
17. imitating God
18. conforming to Jesus Christ
19. liberated from sin
20. to be set apart of the world

Therefore holiness is not:
1. having knowledge about God
2. quoting bible verses
3. lacking self-control
4. speaking in tongues/shouting in church
5.outdated/old fashioned
6. something you can make others do
7. achieved through good works
8. having church membership
9. following church traditions
10. unforgiving
11. boastful
12. the result of being baptized
13. taking the Lord's Supper
14. done in our own strength
15. separated from daily living
16. compartmentalized
17. only for pastors, evangelists, missionaries, choir members, deacons, Sunday School teachers, and older Christians.
18.wearing your Sunday mask (carrying bible, wearing cross, religious attire)
19. legalistic or keeping commandments to justify it
20. acting strange/speaking in Christianeese/being zealous.

Last edited by antredd; 06-09-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 AM

30,162 posts, read 19,964,744 times
Antredd I know you are sincere, and your heart is good, but do you really understand the burden you are putting on yourself by what you believe and others who assume what you are saying is true ?.

Jesus said learn of Him, and His yoke is easy and His burden Light.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:21 AM

11,822 posts, read 9,810,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Peter says that we must be holy in ALL that we do.

What is your biblical interpretation on Christians living holy lives? Tell me what Holiness is and What Holiness isn't..
Paul summed it ... by faith in Jesus not through works, not through obedience to the law. For what Jesus did, the law could not.
Hebrews 10:14
because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Galatians 2:16
know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ.
So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

To be declared justified by God is to "be holy" ... and "be holy" is in the present. Therefore though we acknowledge ourselves as sinners who deserve condemnation for our sin, by faith in Jesus we are holy and righteous to God.

That's the good news of the gospel !!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Antredd I know you are sincere, and your heart is good, but do you really understand the burden you are putting on yourself by what you believe and others who assume what you are saying is true ?.

Jesus said learn of Him, and His yoke is easy and His burden Light.
Thanks for the reply. I don't expect anyone to believe what I say. THE BIBLE IS OUR GUIDE, NOT ANTREDD. I am not in any way, shape, form or fashion trying to convert anyone either. But what I am doing is trying to dialogue with other Christians so that we can learn from each other as the Holy Spirit leads all of us. This thread was started to make people, including myself, think about what Holiness is and isn't. There seems to be less emphasis on being holy today, and Hebrews 12:14, as well as Leviticus 11:44; 19: 2, and 19:20 are quite clear on how we are to be HOLY. Would you at least agree with that?

Last edited by antredd; 06-09-2012 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I don't expect anyone to believe what I say. THE BIBLE IS OUR GUIDE, NOT ANTREDD. I am not in any way shape form or fashion trying to convert anyone either. But what I am doing is trying to dialogue with other Christians so that we can learn from each other as the Holy Spirit leads all of us. This thread was started to make people, including myself, think about what Holiness is and isn't. There seems to be less emphasis on being holy today, and Hebrews 12:14, as well as Leviticus 11:44; 19: 2, and 19:20 are quite clear on how we are to be HOLY. Would you at least agree with that?
The emphasis today should be shedding the excess baggage( the burden put on us, by what we think the bible is saying) we have accumulated through centuries of the teachings of men, who have skillfully hashed together and passed it off as the Word of God,yoking and burdening men with everything but the simplicity of the teachings of Jesus Christ, love your neighbor as yourself, for by doing so you are blessing them, yourselves and God.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Paul summed it ... by faith in Jesus not through works, not through obedience to the law. For what Jesus did, the law could not.
Hebrews 10:14
because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Galatians 2:16
know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ.
So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

To be declared justified by God is to "be holy" ... and "be holy" is in the present. Therefore though we acknowledge ourselves as sinners who deserve condemnation for our sin, by faith in Jesus we are holy and righteous to God.

That's the good news of the gospel !!
Thanks for your response. Justification means to be declared righteous. The moment we accept Jesus as our personal savior we become justified. We have a new standing with God.

We also become sanctified because of our new creation through Christ. Sanctification is a process for us, which allows us to grow more like God in character as a result of becoming imitators of Christ--this is how we grow by giving up bad habits and detesting the same things that God sees as evil.

Even though we are not yet completely holy (which is a life long process), we stand in relation to God as though we were. I see holiness as two fold as well. We are sanctified (made holy) by God the moment we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, and yet we are commanded by God to live holy. God does his part to make us holy, and we do our part as humanly possible to be holy.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The emphasis today should be shedding the excess baggage( the burden put on us, by what we think the bible is saying) we have accumulated through centuries of the teachings of men, who have skillfully hashed together and passed it off as the Word of God,yoking and burdening men with everything but the simplicity of the teachings of Jesus Christ, love your neighbor as yourself, for by doing so you are blessing them, yourselves and God.
I don't know if you just want to start a debate, or have a problem with this thread that God has prayerfully led me to start. But I will tell you this. My love for my fellow man as Jesus has commanded me, has led me to to dialogue about God's word without debating, arguing or putting people down for what they believe (even if they don't agree with me).

I thank God that He has giving me the little knowledge that I have about the bible so that I can share His truth to people who may not know the truth. Now what is the truth? The truth is Jesus, and he's the only way that we can come to the Father. With that said, I hope I am a blessing to all of the Christians and non Christians who read my threads and are encouraged and motivated, at least, to open up their bibles if they haven't in a long time to study it for themselves.

Again, there is no burden placed on me to start a thread to get people to dialogue about a COMMANDMENT THAT IS MADE CLEAR IN HEBREWS. So please explain to me how my quoting Hebrews 12:14 that clearly teaches that in order to see God we must be Holy is a problem or me pushing my beliefs on others?

I am just simply quoting the bible, and wanting to get other people's input regarding this serious topic. I learn from what others post on these forums all of the time, even the ones who don't agree with me. I have been truly blessed, and it's wonderful that City-Data of all internet forums would allow us to share our beliefs and be a witness to others who may not quite know Jesus as their personal savior.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:18 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,215,390 times
Quote:
Hebrews 12:14 says Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord. Here it is. If you don't live holy you can't see God. Again, if we don't live holy we can't see God. WOW!!!!!!!!!
Probably you would do yourself a great service to keep your eyes on Matthew 7:3 before you start deciding what others holiness should comprise.

Just a thought.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Antredd my point is your list that is as long as my arm on what holiness is, is enough to weigh anyone down. Jesus Christ did not drop such stuff on men to bare. Believe me, you are doing yourself and all that assume what you are saying to be true, a huge disservice. Pursue peace with ALL men, and you find the very place your sole of your feet stand is holy, no long check list needed.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:22 PM

6,824 posts, read 4,866,824 times
We are Justified solely by faith in Jesus Christ. (Romans 3,4,5)(Ephesians 2:8-10).

Faithfulness results in being closer to the Lord. Faithlessness will result in separation - not into Damnation but separation nonetheless.

We aren't saved by our perceived holiness, but by Jesus Christ's holiness. If we're saved by our own personal efforts, than we would have reason to boast. God has left boasting out.

Praise the Lord because if I was saved upon my holiness I'd be in big trouble. How Holy is holy enough? Jesus said be perfect as our Father in Heaven is perfect.

Better start praying that Purgatory is real, or just thank God we are seen as perfect from a Justification perspective by faith of God in Jesus Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or