Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 AM

7,991 posts, read 12,226,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
so please dont let a spider make an atheist out of you.

and get a pest control guy to help you.
HUH!?

After reading this far into this thread, where June is hearing about the following:

Black widow spiders, roaches, misquitos, lizards, bats, and, (my personal favorite) half-eaten squirrels, this atheist is thinking perhaps she should consider "relocating" to the other camp! It sort of redefines the meaning of the phrase: "Putting the fear of god into you!"

-To which I can only add one word:

ticks!

Take gentle care!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 05:08 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,794,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
HUH!?

After reading this far into this thread, where June is hearing about the following:

Black widow spiders, roaches, misquitos, lizards, bats, and, (my personal favorite) half-eaten squirrels, this atheist is thinking perhaps she should consider "relocating" to the other camp! It sort of redefines the meaning of the phrase: "Putting the fear of god into you!"

ticks!

Take gentle care!!!!!
Oh I totally forgot about ticks!...Ewwwww! They are the worst of the worst! Except maybe leeches...but we don't get those around here.

Last edited by irishmom; 09-27-2007 at 05:19 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 05:10 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,794,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i would like to address that. we had a plague of black widows at my house.
then we had a lot of lizards show up. no more spiders.
as to misquitos. i got to think a bit on that one. i know they provide a whole lot of food for bats. now dont ask me about bats please.
as to not killing he was talking about people. and you must admit we are doing pretty good with that most of the time. less killing i mean.
so please dont let a spider make an atheist out of you.
and get a pest control guy to help you.
thanks
stephen s
san diego ca
LOL! I will await your bat explanation.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,609,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
HUH!?

ticks!

Take gentle care!!!!!
This theist will lower the drawbridge for you! Oh, and I'll make sure there are no half-eaten squirrels in your room!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:05 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,181,267 times
I can't STAND spiders. I used to be the biggest scaredy-cat, until I got married. Now my wife is way worse so I HAVE to deal with them! And we have way more out here than we ever dealt with in California!

Regarding the OP, to answer somewhat seriously....perhaps God created this loathsome creatures with different original purposes but when sin happened they became pests?

Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,045,479 times
We get Scorpions down here and by far the freakiest spiders I've seen.

I hate spiders with a passion.. and they jump down here! Seriously.. you have 8 legs.. you have to jump too!

When I see my first Scorpion I'll probably have to change my pants first then get a heavy shoe..

Old 09-27-2007, 08:40 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,256,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
We get Scorpions down here and by far the freakiest spiders I've seen.

I hate spiders with a passion.. and they jump down here! Seriously.. you have 8 legs.. you have to jump too!

When I see my first Scorpion I'll probably have to change my pants first then get a heavy shoe..
LOL! I hate spiders too...yet I don't like killing them unnecessarily because I'm not too fond of flies, either. Someone made a comment about leeches... my childhood swimming hole was a pond with several inches of slime on the bottom, surrounded by trees. Frogs, 2 1/2" water beetles with scary looking arms, lots of leeches, spiders and some other unidentifiable creatures living under our raft, all made for an interesting swim! Not to mention the huge biting flies at certain times of the year... And dragonflies! Can't forget about them.. they freak me out because they fly right at you with a purpose, staring at you with their big eyes... when I was about 4 or 5 I had a nightmare about them, maybe it's a carry-over from that!

We would dive into the pond off our raft, and then come up and pick off any dangling leeches! Would always do a leech check after we were done swimming. We made a leech trap with large soda bottles, would collect maybe 15 or 20, put them in the sun, sprinkle salt on them and watch them shrivel up!

Last edited by cg81; 09-27-2007 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: last para

Old 09-27-2007, 09:21 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,410,152 times
Y'all are a bunch of wimps!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Just like me!

Oh my gosh, the spiders get on my nerves. Well, some of them do. Not all. I actually had a pet spider I allowed to live in my window for about a month this summer. He built his web right over the opening between my window fan and the wide open outdoors! So he caught himself a few treats, needless to say. Then he left. Not sure why. Probably had something to do with me getting upset with him one day because he kept wanting to build his web over the grill of the fan. So I'd keep knocking it down and tell him he needed to stay in his corner. Well, he threw a hissy fit and marched his butt right off to who knows where. Haven't seen him since.

Anyway....Irish, are you dreaming of the spiders yet? That's when it gets really fun! I do that sometimes. Did it last night, in fact. Wasn't sure if it was a brown recluse or not, but I didn't stay asleep long enough to find out!

For a while, I was getting them in my bedroom. Freaking me out!! Walking right there along the baseboard, or up the wall. Right next to where I sleep! I was flipping out. I don't mind if the critters stay in the corners, and leave me alone. But when they start WALKING on me as I'm sitting there, that's where I draw the line! Yep, it has happened. In fact, it happened twice within the span of a half-hour not too long ago. I was just sitting there, minding my own business, and the next thing you know I'm feeling this tickle on my knee. I look down, and what's looking up at me? A black spider! So he went to critter heaven, to say the least. But then, another one had the audacity to walk on my knee - like I said, maybe a half-hour later. This time, he was bigger. I mean about the size of a quarter! Or maybe it was a she. I don't know. I didn't feel like picking it up and spreading its legs to find out. I imagine it was a little ticked off because I creamed its kid a bit earlier, so it wanted to exact revenge on me. But I beat it to the punch - literally. I freaked and the only thing I could do was grab the television remote control that was sitting on my lap, and smacked that thing until hell wouldn't have it anymore. Right there on my leg - *WHACK!!*

So I'm with you guys on the spider thing. And I can't imagine what it would be like if I lived in the SW U.S. I probably wouldn't sleep at all. I'd be too afraid of seeing a scorpion crawling around. That would have me packing up the car and heading for the arctic first chance I got! You guys who live out there have a lot of guts!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,860,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Regarding the OP, to answer somewhat seriously....perhaps God created this loathsome creatures with different original purposes but when sin happened they became pests?
I think Jeff is onto something here. I don't have any proof, but I suspect that all these horrible bugs were part of the curse when sin entered the world (Genisis 3)

17And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
19In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Maybe the bugs came with the thorns and thistles? Ever notice that no matter where you go in the world, you can't get away from them?

Bud

Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,256,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I think Jeff is onto something here. I don't have any proof, but I suspect that all these horrible bugs were part of the curse when sin entered the world (Genisis 3)
This would seem reasonable.. The bugs may have been there, but as it says in the Bible:

Genesis 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

... it looks like before the fall, there were no carnivores! spiders didn't eat flies, etc.. everything subsisted on plant life. The predator/prey system was instituted after the fall, IMO, and along with this came the "pest" part of the world.. Poisonous spiders, snakes, etc, mosquitoes and leeches needing blood..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity