Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:52 PM

29 posts, read 32,469 times

Advertisements

This might end up being a long story, but I'll try to make it as quick and readable as possible:

I have a question. I keep turing it over and over and over in my head and have been praying about it for two months and researching...and it's been very difficult to make a decision. I am Christian and I want to make a decision that is right and brings glory to God. But I am unsure of what that decision is, because I am unsure of what God wants me to do...

I am a 24 year old single mother. I have been very sick for over eight years. (I won't get into the details, but I am very sick). My illness has gotten so bad, that for just over two years now, I have been completely disabled; for the last two years, I have been completely bed-ridden for 60% of the time...and the other 40% of the time, I am able to get up and move around and some days even go out of the house and do low activity things. I have been trying to work to support my family, despite my illness, and I have been receiving government benefits, as well, to make up for the money I am unable to make. The only thing I want is to get well, get off of government benefits, have the same opportunities as most people, and work to support myself. Unfortunately, so far, I have been unable to do that, because of my illness. I have been to 100s of different doctors, had every test done (MRI's, CAT scans, blood work x 100s, emptying studies, etc. etc. etc.)...the doctors have given up and have been unable to find the cause of my disabling illness. I have been unable to see alternative doctors, because I am so sick and unable to make enough money to see any more doctors. I am completely out of money, very very ill, and just barely ekeing by with what the government gives us (which is state/federal funded insurance and food stamps). I hate being like this and living like this. I have been stuck in this rut: not being able to work, not being able to get better, and not being able to move forward to get well. I have been sick for over eight years and suffered more than a person could possily imagine. I have been in worse pain than should ever be known to man-kind.

Well, here is my dilema: After many years of suffering, crying out to God, praying, begging, crying some more...and after two years of much work involved...by the grace of God, I received a settlement check for $27,000.00!!! Finally, a chance to see the doctors who may be able to help me to get well after SO MANY years of suffering!

...Here's the thing: I'm supposed to report any money I make to the government, as to determine my "benefits" (currently we are receiving $7,856.00 a year, which is what we have been soley living off of...plus the little that I've been able to work, which is about $250/mo). If I report the settlement check to the government, we will lose ALL of our benefits. I need this money to see doctors, to get well, to be able to get off of benefits, to be able to finally be the mother I've always wanted to be, to not see my daughter suffering daily because her mother is in so much pain and can't take care of her. I've been waiting and praying for a chance like this for SO LONG. But, now, if I report the money, I will not have enough money left (after expenses) to be able to see doctors, and within about a year, the money will be spent, and we would be right back to ground zero (still sick/disabled and with no money to see doctors).

I don't know what God wants me to do with the money He has so graciously blessed us with. I wish that I could simply work. But, I have really never been able to be. I was bed-ridden for 8 months straight in 2007 (just to give you an idea of how bad this sickness is). I have been struggling to care for my daughter and been near death at times, but still kept going, kept praying; kept hoping. Now, we have a chance, I have a chance to try to get well.

I know it is wrong to lie. Should I report the money, lose our benefits, and trust God...or is that just silly...did God give us this money so that I could see doctors and get well. Would it be okay with God for me not to report this settlement check, so that I can use it to try to get well, in order to be able to care for my five year old daughter??? I don't think that God wants me to be sick and suffer. But, He also doesn't want me to lie. Would it be wrong to not mention the settelment check to the government? To continue to receive benefits, in order to further my diagnosis and healing, in order to possibly be able to work in the future...and not be on benefits anymore, because I can work?

Did God give us this money, to use it for something specific...like seeing a Christian doctor, who thinks he may be able to help me?

Or did He give it to me for a "test" to see if I would do the right thing?

I don't even know what the right thing is!!! I'm so confused!!!

...I've been praying and praying and praying for God's guidance and wisdom...but I do not know what the right thing is to do.

Any advice would be appreciated. I posted on the Christian forum, because I do beleive in God and I want to do the right thing.

I know that there are places in the Bible where people "lied" by not mentioning things...and God blesses them for it...(the only one that comes to mind is when the midwives didn't tell the king that the babies were being born, in order to save the babies' lives).

So, what do I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,816,026 times
Use the money to get well and then report it to the government once you are able to work and do your taxes.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Thanks Robin, for your response!

...If I report the money at a later date, but continue to receive benefits now, I will be required to not only pay back anything I was given...but also may be subject to fines and jail time for "fraud" (according to the stipulations).

???...

Old 03-13-2009, 02:33 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,816,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbcy View Post
Thanks Robin, for your response!

...If I report the money at a later date, but continue to receive benefits now, I will be required to not only pay back anything I was given...but also may be subject to fines and jail time for "fraud" (according to the stipulations).

???...
My wife is a tax preparer and she says if you put the settlement into a special savings accout set up primarily for your medical expences then when you get well, get a job and do your taxes all will be well. If you would like I could get her to look into it further, but if you are ill and have been for 8 years and you just got the money needed to cure you then the government is commiting fraud by asking you to report what you have so they can take it away and you still not get well. Go to the doctors and get well for your daughter. If you wish to share more on your illness and the stipulations the government has you under please feel free to DM me and I will look into it further, but your health is priority for your childs benefit.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:51 PM

593 posts, read 1,789,675 times
I know this might sound strange, but your medical complaints reminds me of the stories I've read on people who had been ingesting ASPARTAME for quite a while...Are you a heavy diet soda drinker? Artificial sweetner??? LIke I said, it seems odd that I'd post this to you, but you said they've done all the tests and found nothing...

Old 03-13-2009, 04:12 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,818,075 times
I know it doesn't seem fair, but I would say that you need to report the income...the Lord said, render to Caesar what is Caesar's and render to God what is God's. Folks had big tax issues back in Jesus' time too.

Really, all income has to be reported to the IRS, I would hate for you to get into a real mess here. If you don't have any/much income and the settlement is $27K, you wouldn't pay alot of tax on it anyway. As Christians, we must be honest. And if you don't declare the income, then you'll be worrying about it, and probably make yourself sicker.

I don't know but probably the company that is paying out the settlement has to report it somehow anyway, so it gets tracked back to the IRS. Trust me, they are smarter than we are and think of all the angles.

You may not end up $27k richer but you will end up probably $20K richer, which is alot more than you started out with. would you rather have $20K and a clear conscience or $27K and a guilty conscience. You were given a blessing so handle it well.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:13 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,919,335 times
Quote:
This might end up being a long story, but I'll try to make it as quick and readable as possible:

I have a question. I keep turing it over and over and over in my head and have been praying about it for two months and researching...and it's been very difficult to make a decision. I am Christian and I want to make a decision that is right and brings glory to God. But I am unsure of what that decision is, because I am unsure of what God wants me to do...

I am a 24 year old single mother. I have been very sick for over eight years. (I won't get into the details, but I am very sick). My illness has gotten so bad, that for just over two years now, I have been completely disabled; for the last two years, I have been completely bed-ridden for 60% of the time...and the other 40% of the time, I am able to get up and move around and some days even go out of the house and do low activity things. I have been trying to work to support my family, despite my illness, and I have been receiving government benefits, as well, to make up for the money I am unable to make. The only thing I want is to get well, get off of government benefits, have the same opportunities as most people, and work to support myself. Unfortunately, so far, I have been unable to do that, because of my illness. I have been to 100s of different doctors, had every test done (MRI's, CAT scans, blood work x 100s, emptying studies, etc. etc. etc.)...the doctors have given up and have been unable to find the cause of my disabling illness. I have been unable to see alternative doctors, because I am so sick and unable to make enough money to see any more doctors. I am completely out of money, very very ill, and just barely ekeing by with what the government gives us (which is state/federal funded insurance and food stamps). I hate being like this and living like this. I have been stuck in this rut: not being able to work, not being able to get better, and not being able to move forward to get well. I have been sick for over eight years and suffered more than a person could possily imagine. I have been in worse pain than should ever be known to man-kind.

Well, here is my dilema: After many years of suffering, crying out to God, praying, begging, crying some more...and after two years of much work involved...by the grace of God, I received a settlement check for $27,000.00!!! Finally, a chance to see the doctors who may be able to help me to get well after SO MANY years of suffering!

...Here's the thing: I'm supposed to report any money I make to the government, as to determine my "benefits" (currently we are receiving $7,856.00 a year, which is what we have been soley living off of...plus the little that I've been able to work, which is about $250/mo). If I report the settlement check to the government, we will lose ALL of our benefits. I need this money to see doctors, to get well, to be able to get off of benefits, to be able to finally be the mother I've always wanted to be, to not see my daughter suffering daily because her mother is in so much pain and can't take care of her. I've been waiting and praying for a chance like this for SO LONG. But, now, if I report the money, I will not have enough money left (after expenses) to be able to see doctors, and within about a year, the money will be spent, and we would be right back to ground zero (still sick/disabled and with no money to see doctors).

I don't know what God wants me to do with the money He has so graciously blessed us with. I wish that I could simply work. But, I have really never been able to be. I was bed-ridden for 8 months straight in 2007 (just to give you an idea of how bad this sickness is). I have been struggling to care for my daughter and been near death at times, but still kept going, kept praying; kept hoping. Now, we have a chance, I have a chance to try to get well.

I know it is wrong to lie. Should I report the money, lose our benefits, and trust God...or is that just silly...did God give us this money so that I could see doctors and get well. Would it be okay with God for me not to report this settlement check, so that I can use it to try to get well, in order to be able to care for my five year old daughter??? I don't think that God wants me to be sick and suffer. But, He also doesn't want me to lie. Would it be wrong to not mention the settelment check to the government? To continue to receive benefits, in order to further my diagnosis and healing, in order to possibly be able to work in the future...and not be on benefits anymore, because I can work?

Did God give us this money, to use it for something specific...like seeing a Christian doctor, who thinks he may be able to help me?

Or did He give it to me for a "test" to see if I would do the right thing?

I don't even know what the right thing is!!! I'm so confused!!!

...I've been praying and praying and praying for God's guidance and wisdom...but I do not know what the right thing is to do.

Any advice would be appreciated. I posted on the Christian forum, because I do beleive in God and I want to do the right thing.

I know that there are places in the Bible where people "lied" by not mentioning things...and God blesses them for it...(the only one that comes to mind is when the midwives didn't tell the king that the babies were being born, in order to save the babies' lives).

So, what do I do?
I am sorry to hear of your debilitating illness. You need a move from God for your illness, and He is offering healing today in greater numbers. I would look up Ernest Angley; he is God's real prophet for our day. Jesus is really moving in his ministry. He teaches and preaches nothing but the truth, and God confirms it with miracles.

May God bless you -

Old 03-13-2009, 04:36 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,231,653 times
Quote:

completely disabled

government benefits

state/federal funded insurance

sick/disabled

Are we talking SSDI? (Not sure what kind of "government benefits" you are refering to.) If so, then I am not so sure that you necessarily have to report it.

Take gentle care.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,301,972 times
Your a mother. Your primary duty is to provide for your children. And part of that means being there for them. So God willing, the settlement money will help with that.
Talk to an accountant. If you don't know one who will do it for free, call a religious or charitable organization for help.And also ask them about for a referral for someone who knows the rules regarding your situation. In other words you need all the facts first.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Are we talking SSDI? (Not sure what kind of "government benefits" you are refering to.) If so, then I am not so sure that you necessarily have to report it.

Take gentle care.
I currently receive $323/mo in SNAP (food stamps). And I receive state Medicaid (basic doctor and dental for my daughter and I).

This totals to roughly $7,856.00/year.

They are both income-based benefits, which I have always qualified for, because I've always been sick (and only gotten much sicker) over the last eight years. I don't qualify because I'm sick though...I qualify because I have always been 130% below poverty level (income-based). Which is because I have been unable to work, due to my illness.

I have applied for disability (Supplemental Security Income), but the process is long and takes anywhere from 7 - 14 years. (I may be dead by then......literally.) (But, hopefully not.)

So, our food stamps and Medicaid have been sustaining us. Now that I got this settlement, I want to use it for doctors, who were out of my reach before because of the lack of financial means.

But, if I report this "income" of the settlement, I will progressively lose $7,856.00 a year, which will leave me nothing left to be able to spend on doctors.

I wonder if God gave me this money to get well, so that I can finally take care of my daughter. It is only by God's strength that I have survived as long as I have. Only by God's mercy that we have survived as long as we have.

I feel this may be my only chance to get well.

But, I don't want to do the wrong thing with a blessing from God. But, how do I know what is the wrong or right thing to do? How do I know what God wants me to do with this money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity