Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/14/us....html?_r=1&hpw

The last sentence is chilling.

(from article)"The new archbishop of Philadelphia, Charles J. Chaput, who led the successful campaign to defeat such a bill in Colorado, says that current restrictions exist for “sound legal reasons."

Me: Like tens of millions of FORMER RCC members, with every parish closing, the RCC should remember the sound moral reasons 1/2 of its members said goodbye..forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Since this didn't happen in any Catholic school or parish I've attended, I haven't said good-bye to the Church. I received an excellent education, but those teaching me were both religious and non-religious. My issue with the Church is how secular and money hungry it can be. I didn't see better religious values in the kids I went to school with and I don't see better religious values in the people I've gone to church with. My rationale was: "Well, I've got 167 hours in a week for me, and I can give 1 hour to God out of respect and go to Church." I found that I just stood there and went through the motions. In a way, I don't think that's the "right" reason to go to Church.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:16 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Since this didn't happen in any Catholic school or parish I've attended, I haven't said good-bye to the Church. I received an excellent education, but those teaching me were both religious and non-religious. My issue with the Church is how secular and money hungry it can be. I didn't see better religious values in the kids I went to school with and I don't see better religious values in the people I've gone to church with. My rationale was: "Well, I've got 167 hours in a week for me, and I can give 1 hour to God out of respect and go to Church." I found that I just stood there and went through the motions. In a way, I don't think that's the "right" reason to go to Church.
RESPONSE:

Accordong to the Pew study on religion, 40% of those leaving the Catholic Church list among the reasons loss of faith in what the Church teaches. In short, evidently they are studying the evidence and finding the Church wanting.

Unfortunately, for the most part, Catholics don't study the evidence and remain "cultural Catholics," ie., they are Catholics only because their family and culture is.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:36 PM

889 posts, read 825,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/14/us....html?_r=1&hpw

The last sentence is chilling.

(from article)"The new archbishop of Philadelphia, Charles J. Chaput, who led the successful campaign to defeat such a bill in Colorado, says that current restrictions exist for “sound legal reasons."

Me: Like tens of millions of FORMER RCC members, with every parish closing, the RCC should remember the sound moral reasons 1/2 of its members said goodbye..forever.
You must be Ted or his brother. There is NO sound reason for leaving Jesus's Church. There are only good reasons for fixing it.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Accordong to the Pew study on religion, 40% of those leaving the Catholic Church list among the reasons loss of faith in what the Church teaches. In short, evidently they are studying the evidence and finding the Church wanting.

Unfortunately, for the most part, Catholics don't study the evidence and remain "cultural Catholics," ie., they are Catholics only because their family and culture is.
I don't know about this. In reading the New Testament, I believe the portions of it that a reasonably intelligent person can decipher (the Gospels, the letters of Paul). I have trouble with the metaphoric parts and "doom and gloom" parts where humans seem to be painted as BAD (*sound of nun hitting you with the ruler*)...which is contradictory to the more compassionate view that the Gospels paint.

I don't like a lot of parishioners and clergy members for their phoniness. I've had more bad confessions than good ones. Most of them seem canned and the priests seem "put out." I can only think of one great confession, and it was with an African priest while I was on vacation in Eastern Canada. How can I fix the church? I can't. I'm apolitical to begin with. They need to fix themselves from within.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
You must be Ted or his brother. There is NO sound reason for leaving Jesus's Church. There are only good reasons for fixing it.
The American RCC is NOT Jesus's Church. It is the polar opposite.. The American RCC cannot be fixed, short of a Phoenix event. Its hierarchy, as evidenced by its legalease way of handling pedophiles, will insure it is NOT fixed. Had the RCC had more groups like the Boston branch of Voice of the Faithful, and had they started nationwide once a year boycotts over the Pope promoting Law after he was rightfully REMOVED in Boston, the seeds of a rebirth would have been in place.

Those 1/2 empty pews will simply become 55%, 60%, 65% empty..unnoticed by cutting quantities of parishes.

Last edited by bobtn; 06-16-2012 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 05:34 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It all depends on which Catholic church you go to, at many Catholic churches the homilies given put an emphasis on obeying Church teachings while others put the emphasis on the Gospels and trying to live out the Gospel message in our every day life, my church does the latter, in fact I have heard it be said if the only reason you come on Sunday is to fill your weekly obligation you might as well stay home.

As far as the title of this thread it is true that the hierarchy of the Catholic Church does continue to be in self deniel about their responsibility of the sex abuse scandal and cover up.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
It is good to see I have made an impression upon you to the point that you mention me in your posts to others although I wish that you would refrain from claiming to know what I think.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 PM

889 posts, read 825,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The American RCC is NOT Jesus's Church. It is the polar opposite.. The American RCC cannot be fixed, short of a Phoenix event. Its hierarchy, as evidenced by its legalease way of handling pedophiles, will insure it is NOT fixed. Had the RCC had more groups like the Boston branch of Voice of the Faithful, and had they started nationwide once a year boycotts over the Pope promoting Law after he was rightfully REMOVED in Boston, the seeds of a rebirth would have been in place.

Those 1/2 empty pews will simply become 55%, 60%, 65% empty..unnoticed by cutting quantities of parishes.
Both History and the Bible don't back you up. But, you're a protestant, so I don't expect anything different.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Both History and the Bible don't back you up. But, you're a protestant, so I don't expect anything different.

No, an ex Catholic who attended a Chrsitian Brothers high school and graduated from a Jesuit university.

A business major who understands the massive quantities of parishes closing, schools, etc are a symptom of the pedophile lawsuits clashing with the business aka the US Roman Catholic Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity