Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times

Advertisements

The last time I was visited by a JW, he literally blasted me for my Baptists beliefs. What I don't understand about their field ministry is that if they are really concerned about getting people into their religious organization, wouldn't it be easier to be nice to the people that they are trying to witness to as opposed to debating who is right or wrong. The truth needs no debating, and it sets all of us free once we see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The last time I was visited by a JW, he literally blasted me for my Baptists beliefs. What I don't understand about their field ministry is that if they are really concerned about getting people into their religious organization, wouldn't it be easier to be nice to the people that they are trying to witness to as opposed to debating who is right or wrong. The truth needs no debating, and it sets all of us free once we see it.
I wonder what God thinks about the process of conversion. While we are told to preach the good news to every Creature, the Lord Jesus also says no one can come to him unless the Father draw him. Regarding debate, it's clear God does not like Strife. While we are not to debate, we are to contend for the faith.

So there is a delicate prayerful balance, especially when the primary focus is on the Godhead Divinity of Jesus Christ.

The Scriptures seem set up to not receive Jesus as Lord unless they have the spirit of truth. The Lord Jesus does not come straight out and proclaim his divinity plainly. One has to go through a web of passages to bring this to full understanding. Even after doing this, they have to have eyes to see it.

I've been trying to get better with this. They use the New World Translation. I've been trying to memorize where to find certain passages in their Bible to make them question their position. I think it's important to focus on the Watchtower society and their fearful bondage as opposed to the individual in their belief - letting them know you have their best interest in heart not trying to vainly attempting to win some debate.

It's tough... here are a couple passages

Titus 1:4 KJV
To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

Isaiah 43:11 KJV
I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Titus 1:4 NWT
4 to Titus, a genuine child according to a faith shared in common:

May there be undeserved kindness and peace from God [the] Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.

Isaiah 43:11
11 I—I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior.”

Paul says Jesus Christ is our Savior. Isaiah says Jehovah is the only Savior. If Jesus Christ is not Jehovah, than Paul is committing blasphemy.

Acts 1:11-12

11 and they said: “Men of Gal´i·lee, why do YOU stand looking into the sky? This Jesus who was received up from YOU into the sky will come thus in the same manner as YOU have beheld him going into the sky.”

12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from a mountain called the Mount of Olives, which is near Jerusalem, being a sabbath day’s journey away.

Zechariah 14:3-4 NWT

3 “And Jehovah will certainly go forth and war against those nations as in the day of his warring, in the day of fight. 4 And his feet will actually stand in that day upon the mountain of the olive trees, which is in front of Jerusalem, on the east; and the mountain of the olive trees must be split at its middle, from the sunrising and to the west. There will be a very great valley; and half of the mountain will actually be moved to the north, and half of it to the south.

Jehovah has feet and will stand upon the mount of Olives. Jesus Christ will return in the clouds returning to the Mount of Olives.

It's tough because they are using a corrupt translation and do not evidently accept information.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I wonder what God thinks about the process of conversion. While we are told to preach the good news to every Creature, the Lord Jesus also says no one can come to him unless the Father draw him. Regarding debate, it's clear God does not like Strife. While we are not to debate, we are to contend for the faith.

So there is a delicate prayerful balance, especially when the primary focus is on the Godhead Divinity of Jesus Christ.

The Scriptures seem set up to not receive Jesus as Lord unless they have the spirit of truth. The Lord Jesus does not come straight out and proclaim his divinity plainly. One has to go through a web of passages to bring this to full understanding. Even after doing this, they have to have eyes to see it.

I've been trying to get better with this. They use the New World Translation. I've been trying to memorize where to find certain passages in their Bible to make them question their position. I think it's important to focus on the Watchtower society and their fearful bondage as opposed to the individual in their belief - letting them know you have their best interest in heart not trying to vainly attempting to win some debate.

It's tough... here are a couple passages

Titus 1:4 KJV
To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

Isaiah 43:11 KJV
I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Titus 1:4 NWT
4 to Titus, a genuine child according to a faith shared in common:

May there be undeserved kindness and peace from God [the] Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.

Isaiah 43:11
11 I—I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior.”

Paul says Jesus Christ is our Savior. Isaiah says Jehovah is the only Savior. If Jesus Christ is not Jehovah, than Paul is committing blasphemy.

Acts 1:11-12

11 and they said: “Men of Gal´i·lee, why do YOU stand looking into the sky? This Jesus who was received up from YOU into the sky will come thus in the same manner as YOU have beheld him going into the sky.”

12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from a mountain called the Mount of Olives, which is near Jerusalem, being a sabbath day’s journey away.

Zechariah 14:3-4 NWT

3 “And Jehovah will certainly go forth and war against those nations as in the day of his warring, in the day of fight. 4 And his feet will actually stand in that day upon the mountain of the olive trees, which is in front of Jerusalem, on the east; and the mountain of the olive trees must be split at its middle, from the sunrising and to the west. There will be a very great valley; and half of the mountain will actually be moved to the north, and half of it to the south.

Jehovah has feet and will stand upon the mount of Olives. Jesus Christ will return in the clouds returning to the Mount of Olives.

It's tough because they are using a corrupt translation and do not evidently accept information.
You are so right. Even when I have used John 1:1, they seem to look at me as if I was crazy, putting meaning into the verse when their translation calls the Word a God instead of just God.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times
There was a time when I used to debate them and send them away with literature, now I just send them away, I don't have much use for people that go around and try to talk others out of their faith be it a JW or some born again christian hounding me to answer if I have been saved, born again, accepted Christ etc.
I do give JWs credit for being against war and killing people which puts them a little bit higher then most other people that claim christianity and war go together.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Have NEVER had a problem with them. They come to the door or they might actually meet up with you while you're in the driveway, and they say who they are. I tell you "I'm Catholic and other religions don't interest me, but thank you." They are polite and leave. If they want to give me reading material, I say "No, thank you, because I won't be reading it."

On the other hand, I am not so polite to Mormons at the door or who accost me in public. I am not interested in rug rats and I'm not interested in parting with 10% of my salary to be able to get a Temple Recommend, so I chase them off.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 06-18-2012 at 10:50 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
There was a time when I used to debate them and send them away with literature, now I just send them away, I don't have much use for people that go around and try to talk others out of their faith be it a JW or some born again christian hounding me to answer if I have been saved, born again, accepted Christ etc.
I do give JWs credit for being against war and killing people which puts them a little bit higher then most other people that claim christianity and war go together.
Ted I agree that with the problem of going door to door. There isn't any fellowship. The Apostles of old went door to door, but stayed with the people for a while to build some form of relationship. There was a warmth to it with them going more door to door then as it was more in the norm. If they weren't received, they simply moved on.

I do believe in having the truth readily available for any that are seeking. Too many Christians don't have a good reason for people for why they believe as they do, and there is no reason for that. We should be able to upon the seeking give solid answers to why we believe what we do.

Absolute Truth and God's love for us in his Grace is what attracts people to our Holy God.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
I have a few things that have driven them away rather quickly
First is to reference the collective works of deist philosopher and founding father Thomas Paine. They really have no rebuttal for the fact that all religions are futile.
The other is to encourage them to read the books of Richard Dawkins. Of course, they do not know who he is, so once they look that up or ask around and find out, chances are that they will never return.
The third (And I have not done this one yet) Is that I keep a list of my belief-o-matic results. I know it is more for fun, but it lists out the order of 20 something or so religions and how similar they are to one's beliefs.
SO Dead LAST at 13% similairity is the Jehova's Witness I cannot wait for the opportunity to say "Look this is what I believe" and point out that we share only 13% of similar beliefs. That is, I have more in common with EVERY OTHER RELIGION on this planet than yours.
Not that there is anything wrong with that
Of course, they are working as door to door salespeople peddling religion instead of encyclopedias so they of course are going to want to show me why I NEED their religion, to which I can always say NO ...because there is no God...and that will probably be about the end of it.

Another great answer is "Well I am exactly where I want to be spiritually and am totally satisfied with my religion....But I want more money. What can your religion do to make me filthy rich?"

Old 06-18-2012, 03:07 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Have NEVER had a problem with them. They come to the door or they might actually meet up with you while you're in the driveway, and they say who they are. I tell you "I'm Catholic and other religions don't interest me, but thank you." They are polite and leave. If they want to give me reading material, I say "No, thank you, because I won't be reading it."

On the other hand, I am not so polite to Mormons at the door or who accost me in public. I am not interested in rug rats and I'm not interested in parting with 10% of my salary to be able to get a Temple Recommend, so I chase them off.
So why can't you simply say, "I'm Catholic and other religions don't intrest me, but thank you" to the Mormon missionaries, too? I'm honestly trying, robert, to get my brain around your contempt for Mormons. Could you please just explain why the hostility?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The JW's are very hard to witness to. Don't be surprised that they would blast you for being Baptist when they believe that every church other than themself (expecially one with a cross) are temples of the devil.

They are a works righteous organization which requires people to go "door to door". More times than not, slamming the door or being rude makes them feel like righteous martyrs as they walk away gleefully.

The fact is that they reject what defines a Christian.. God is triune, Jesus is God, the Bible is where God reveales his truth and sufficient and Jesus rose physically from death.

Personally, I do not waist an opportunity to witness to Jesus and the truth. I don't let them get into their prepared presentation. I don't bring up the Trinity issue, nor their multiple times of false predicting the worlds end. Instead, I usually direct my witness conversation to the "quite" one for that is usually the newest JW convert who isn't entrenched and will have the better results when possibly the sowing the seed is many months later from your witness.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The JW's are very hard to witness to. Don't be surprised that they would blast you for being Baptist when they believe that every church other than themself (expecially one with a cross) are temples of the devil.

They are a works righteous organization which requires people to go "door to door". More times than not, slamming the door or being rude makes them feel like righteous martyrs as they walk away gleefully.

The fact is that they reject what defines a Christian.. God is triune, Jesus is God, the Bible is where God reveales his truth and sufficient and Jesus rose physically from death.

Personally, I do not waist an opportunity to witness to Jesus and the truth. I don't let them get into their prepared presentation. I don't bring up the Trinity issue, nor their multiple times of false predicting the worlds end. Instead, I usually direct my witness conversation to the "quite" one for that is usually the newest JW convert who isn't entrenched and will have the better results when possibly the sowing the seed is many months later from your witness.
Actually, they are intensively trained NOT to open themselves to any type of doctrine but, their own. Nevertheless, for a number of years, I welcomed them and often sat and discussed the Bible, with the notion that I would turn their witnessing efforts, on them. Then, I ran across 1 John 1:10 and it changed my entire response and approach. I began to recognize that I was actually encouraging them in their efforts.

I John 1:10-11 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity