Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:07 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,136 times

Advertisements

I have strong opinions about modesty, and as I often caution my husband, "It's my opinion and it's very true." Anyway, I believe that modesty is something that should be guarded and that the body, for believers, is the dwelling place of the H Spirit. But I think we have followed the ways of the unsanctified, forgetting how important our modesty is for us -- and for our daughters.

I understand that modesty is not just about what we wear, but it is also about who we are. This thread, at this point, however, is about what we wear.

The young unmarried ladies: don't you just love it when they know how to dress modestly yet they are gorgeous in their clothing, mannerisms, etc.? This thread is not about that, however. Bless them, just maintain your modesty and smile widely! Let your sweetness and your wisdom shine out -- we all love that!

Now, to my intentions.
1. Going to the place of worship in something that will show your thong is a serious taboo.
2. Showing cleaveage, either side of the body, is immodest as well as crude.
3. Wearing something sexy in order to catch the other gender's eye should be left at home for husbands. This should not happen in the place of worship by anyone, not even the single women.

Women, we need to know what we look like in front of a mirror when we are standing, sitting, sitting with our legs crossed.
A. We need to know what we look like when we bend over to pick something up off the floor: check the top of that blouse!
B. We need to know what we look like in the back when we bend over to pick something up off the floor: use a mirror and check that out!
C. We need to know if our blouse/shirts meet our pants/skirts in front.
D. We need to know if our blouse/shirts meet our pants/skirts in back when we bend over.
E. If we kneel, we need to know what people, front and back, see.

The women of my generation fought long and hard for equality in all phases of society, then we threw it all away when the style gurus and talking women's heads pushed immodesty in clothing, and in the way they sit on stage, right out the door. We threw equality out the door and fell for the meat-market display of our goods.

Are you ever concerned that in sports, almost without an exception, women wear tiny little bits of cloth that display everything, while men wear (mostly) decent clothing? What is that? What are we saying about our worth/value?

Okay. I am an older woman. But in my head, I am just as young as anyone here; it's just that my body is protesting.

Furthermore, not long ago, I weighed 93 more than I do now. I used to wonder if I would change my mind about this type of modesty when I lost the weight. I can honestly say that I have not. I still think that as we stand before G-d, as we do daily, every mmoment, we ought to consider what image we are portraying to Him and to those He created.

Let's talk about this, believing women and men, whether or not we agree.

Last edited by VelcroQueen; 06-03-2012 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,055 times
How about we all just wear burlap burkas?

Old 06-03-2012, 11:51 PM

Nope! Not what I am writing about. If someone tried to make me wear any kind of burka, I would die first. Not doing that. Period.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:00 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times

And, you men with plumbers–butt, it’s not a pencil holder.
As for you younger men, pull up your pants or shorts.
If nothing else, wear a belt and tuck in your shirt.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 AM

331 posts, read 603,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
I have strong opinions about modesty, and as I often caution my husband, "It's my opinion and it's very true." Anyway, I believe that modesty is something that should be guarded and that the body, for believers, is the dwelling place of the H Spirit. But I think we have followed the ways of the unsanctified, forgetting how important our modesty is for us -- and for our daughters.

I understand that modesty is not just about what we wear, but it is also about who we are. This thread, at this point, however, is about what we wear.

The young unmarried ladies: don't you just love it when they know how to dress modestly yet they are gorgeous in their clothing, mannerisms, etc.? This thread is not about that, however. Bless them, just maintain your modesty and smile widely! Let your sweetness and your wisdom shine out -- we all love that!

Now, to my intentions.
1. Going to the place of worship in something that will show your thong is a serious taboo.
2. Showing cleaveage, either side of the body, is immodest as well as crude.
3. Wearing something sexy in order to catch the other gender's eye should be left at home for husbands. This should not happen in the place of worship by anyone, not even the single women.

Women, we need to know what we look like in front of a mirror when we are standing, sitting, sitting with our legs crossed.
A. We need to know what we look like when we bend over to pick something up off the floor: check the top of that blouse!
B. We need to know what we look like in the back when we bend over to pick something up off the floor: use a mirror and check that out!
C. We need to know if our blouse/shirts meet our pants/skirts in front.
D. We need to know if our blouse/shirts meet our pants/skirts in back when we bend over.
E. If we kneel, we need to know what people, front and back, see.

The women of my generation fought long and hard for equality in all phases of society, then we threw it all away when the style gurus and talking women's heads pushed immodesty in clothing, and in the way they sit on stage, right out the door. We threw equality out the door and fell for the meat-market display of our goods.

Are you ever concerned that in sports, almost without an exception, women wear tiny little bits of cloth that display everything, while men wear (mostly) decent clothing? What is that? What are we saying about our worth/value?

Okay. I am an older woman. But in my head, I am just as young as anyone here; it's just that my body is protesting.

Furthermore, not long ago, I weighed 93 more than I do now. I used to wonder if I would change my mind about this type of modesty when I lost the weight. I can honestly say that I have not. I still think that as we stand before G-d, as we do daily, every mmoment, we ought to consider what image we are portraying to Him and to those He created.

Let's talk about this, believing women and men, whether or not we agree.

^^While I very much believe that in the recent generations, clothing has become more and more skimpy for younger and younger girls, I also believe that the morals/values of society has severly declined. If we taught our girls their true value in Christ and the fact that it has nothing to do with their body or clothing, taught young men to be more respectful of women and expect for them to be modest as well the society could be very much improved. If people stopped buying themselves or their children these skimpy, tight, revealing clothing the designers would make soemthing new. If models weren't all a size 0 and 1, then our girls would have "real" people to look at in magizenes and on tv.
I am teaching my 16 year old boy about respect..for himself and for women, and to expect modesty. No one wants something that everyone has seen or had!! I am teaching my preteen daughter that modesty is a way to show everyone that she respects herself and values herself enough to cover up and not show everybody her "goods". It's hard, the kids want to wear namebrand clothing, popular designers, and yet they are the ones that are provoking our youth to wear these things....I want a designer to come out and make an absolutely adorable clothing line with modesty & respect in mind.

I very much agree with the OP

Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

And, you men with plumbers–butt, it’s not a pencil holder.
As for you younger men, pull up your pants or shorts.
If nothing else, wear a belt and tuck in your shirt.
I need suspenders as my hips will not keep my pants up. LOL

Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,630,364 times
I'll just say from a man's perspective, it does help when women embrace modesty. It's said that woman is the measure of weakness of a man, and I do believe that is true.

A pastor said once that men chase woman so much because they are trying to get their rib back. I thought that was clever.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:15 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times

Old 06-04-2012, 12:26 PM

Not like that!!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:05 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
The OP should just join the Amish or the Hutterites. Then she'd be happy. Note that she can quote no biblical text to back up her beliefs. The modesty the New Testament talks about seems to me particularly trying to show off with a display of wealth by displaying expensive jewelry or clothes. I've seen women who were all covered up, but still immodest because of their displays of weath. However, each Christian should be free to wear what they are comfortable with, and Christians should stop judging or critiqing others clothes, jewels, house, car, hairstyle, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity