U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:49 PM

15,124 posts, read 8,222,812 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to be saved by direct revelation from God, as opposed to hearing the message from another Christian or reading the Holy Scripture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 03:05 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,472,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Is it possible to be saved by direct revelation from God, as opposed to hearing the message from another Christian or reading the Holy Scripture?
I accepted Jesus after I prayed for wisdom regarding Jesus. God "answered" with a stong feeling of Yes (Jesus is the way). I count that as revelation.

My prayer followed a number of discussions-months and years worth- with Jesus people. I was tired of the pestering and wanted to settle the matter. So one night I made that prayer. I bought a Bible after about a week and started to read it.

Truth be told, *everybody* in the western world knows the story of Jesus and the stuff about heaven and hell. So there is no getting away from the messege.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:32 PM

661 posts, read 486,978 times
Saul of Tarsus comes to mind!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
Saul of Tarsus comes to mind!
Really? Didn't Jesus send him to Ananias, so that he could be told what to do?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:44 PM

7,856 posts, read 6,660,208 times
You can get a direct witness from God about Jesus for a lead to be drawn into salvation , but some time this revelation can come from the adversary, though Jesus can steal you away from the adversary as Jesus reaps were He never sowed ......... But with the revelation or witness of Jesus Christ to be saved you will still need to repent of sin and for sake sin in your life ,then ask Jesus to come into your life ....... Then you will have to find a church to receive salvation, by making a public repentance , and receive Jesus Spirit , or you will need to find Christians to pray for your salvation , ..... As Jesus sees your faith and sees that you accept Jesus in Jesus children, hears your repentances , ..... See Jesus does not multiply Christianity with out His children prayer , so If you reject the Christian church you will be rejecting Jesus in the Church..... So bless Christian Church and be Blessed in Christ...

Old 06-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
You can get a direct witness from God about Jesus for a lead to be drawn into salvation , but some time this revelation can come from the adversary, though Jesus can steal you away from the adversary as Jesus reaps were He never sowed ......... But with the revelation or witness of Jesus Christ to be saved you will still need to repent of sin and for sake sin in your life ,then ask Jesus to come into your life ....... Then you will have to find a church to receive salvation, by making a public repentance , and receive Jesus Spirit , or you will need to find Christians to pray for your salvation , ..... As Jesus sees your faith and sees that you accept Jesus in Jesus children, hears your repentances , ..... See Jesus does not multiply Christianity with out His children prayer , so If you reject the Christian church you will be rejecting Jesus in the Church..... So bless Christian Church and be Blessed in Christ...
You seem to be saying both yes & no. First you say "direct witness", then you say "Jesus does not multiply Christianity with out His children".

Old 06-19-2012, 03:50 PM

I see... It wasn't clear to me that you meant with no human involvement at all....

In that case, I don't suppose it would be impossible, but God is working through the body of Christ in the earth so it makes lots of sense to me that if God appeared in a dream or vision to someone, He would tell them where to find the saints. Furthermore, one would need to be baptized which requires a fellow Christian

Old 06-19-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
I see... It wasn't clear to me that you meant with no human involvement at all....

In that case, I don't suppose it would be impossible, but God is working through the body of Christ in the earth so it makes lots of sense to me that if God appeared in a dream or vision to someone, He would tell them where to find the saints. Furthermore, one would need to be baptized which requires a fellow Christian
Sorry for being vague. Didn't want to influence the responses too much.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry for being vague. Didn't want to influence the responses too much.
So then I don't suppose you'd tell us why you're asking? it has made me curious now!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:12 PM

8,235 posts, read 9,990,552 times
Quote:
God's plan for spreading His Gospel in Rom. 10:13-17 and the Great Commission remains unchanged since Christ. The closest exception in scripture could be Saul/Paul on the road to Damascus, but, even that required Anninias. Otherwise, I see no example in scripture where God has used direct revelation alone as an alternate vehicle. (Gal. 1:8 even seems to warn against such a possibility).

Rom 10:13-17 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.” -- 14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!” 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Gal 1:8 - But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or