Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
The question is, why is this commandment not followed?
Fear and tradition are taught through the commandments and rules of men; verbally spoken or written, it's still lip service.

"These people honor me with their lips; but their hearts are far from me."

(Read it a few times, then maybe you will be able to distinguish the difference)

It is what they believed at the time, but their heart was far from what Christ would do.
Now, do you have the Scriptures, where Jesus cast the first-stone at anyone, least of all the children?

(As for context, you will have to take all of what is said from beginning to end, not just a few verses or chapters from a book)

And don't forget, the Spirit searches the heart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,132,633 times
The bible says to obey the law of the land. It is illegal to kill your child now adays, this isnt the old testament days anymore.

Romans 13

New International Version (NIV)

Submission to Governing Authorities

13 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
My problem is with the contradiction of God commanding Moses to stone to death a boy who blasphemed Yhw's name in the Old Testament (remember Jesus claimed to be part of the Godhead and would have been part of the decision) and then Jesus pardoning a grown adulterous woman from being stoned to death in the New Testament. Why would an eternal God suddenly become compassionate rather than vengful??

Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,098 times
LOL.... I have teenage sons and I sometimes think the same thing: "why did they do away with stoning" ...well let he who is without sin cast the first stone." And love... it covers a whole lot. I shall not kill my sons for the same mercy God has shown to me I must do my best to show it to my kids.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,132,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My problem is with the contradiction of God commanding Moses to stone to death a boy who blasphemed Yhw's name in the Old Testament (remember Jesus claimed to be part of the Godhead and would have been part of the decision) and then Jesus pardoning a grown adulterous woman from being stoned to death in the New Testament. Why would an eternal God suddenly become compassionate rather than vengful??

-----------------
Is it proof we are no longer under Torah in the old covenant, but the law of Christ in the new covenant To Love one another In the Sermon on the mount Jesus says, turn the other cheek vs eye for an eye, and love your enemies rather than hate them.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM

461 posts, read 480,509 times
The dead cannot kill what is already dead.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,485,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Yet, Christians today don't practice this.

Why?

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an atheist who is pointing out a problem with Christianity, not a Christian calling for death of teenagers, like Jesus allegedly had done.
Because Jesus is the fullfillment of the OT law ... thus the NT Christian in not under law but grace.

Galatians 2:16
know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ.

Galatians 3:24
So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith.
That's the problem with athesists.... rejecting faith has no rewards.
Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity