Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Personally I don't think we can know the full answer to these questions yet. Perhaps in the next age.

But for now it is sufficient for me to say God knows all things and go with that.
I agree with this. In this dimension of time, with what God is doing now with us, He knows all things and works all things according to His own purpose. I see God as existing before what we know to be the ages or time and beyond this. He just is (fully complete) and He will eventually be all in all of us . I don't know if I see this as God expanding in us or is it related to the manifestation of Himself fully in us. Our spirits which return to Him at death have always been with Him but just not our conciousness as a person. I feel like we have always been but are being expressed in our persons during what we understand to be time. And this involves this whole experience as God transforms us into what He will have us to be, being made into His image. If I create something is it an expansion of who I am or is it an expression of who I am? I think this is how I see it for now. Thanks for the fascinating discussion! I love to think about and dwell on our Father and to communicate with others who are like minded. God bless and peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM

987 posts, read 1,118,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I agree with this. In this dimension of time, with what God is doing now with us, He knows all things and works all things according to His own purpose. I see God as existing before what we know to be the ages or time and beyond this. He just is (fully complete) and He will eventually be all in all of us . I don't know if I see this as God expanding in us or is it related to the manifestation of Himself fully in us. Our spirits which return to Him at death have always been with Him but just not our conciousness as a person. I feel like we have always been but are being expressed in our persons during what we understand to be time. And this involves this whole experience as God transforms us into what He will have us to be, being made into His image. If I create something is it an expansion of who I am or is it an expression of who I am? I think this is how I see it for now. Thanks for the fascinating discussion! I love to think about and dwell on our Father and to communicate with others who are like minded. God bless and peace.
I enjoy these discussions too. It helps me to grasp something sometimes that I couldn't begin to comprehend at an earlier time, even if it might not be for months or longer after I read it.

That's not fair, Iluin. Taunting us with that promise of something special. Seems like we wait for too many things as it is, lol. Hope it isn't long before you reveal it to us and, hopefully, I will be able to understand it, lol. I still am in awe of electricity, telephones, etc.

Peace

Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 PM

148 posts, read 134,534 times
Quote:
Originally posted by ScarletWren,

I enjoy these discussions too. It helps me to grasp something sometimes that I couldn't begin to comprehend at an earlier time, even if it might not be for months or longer after I read it.

That's not fair, Iluin. Taunting us with that promise of something special. Seems like we wait for too many things as it is, lol. Hope it isn't long before you reveal it to us and, hopefully, I will be able to understand it, lol. I still am in awe of electricity, telephones, etc.
You'll see soon enough. In the mean time, I'll tell you a cool story.

I was playing around with Einstein's "Time Dilation" formula, which is a part of his Special Theory of Relativity. The formula is: t' = t/(√(1-v²/c²)). This formula states that time measurements begin to change the closer you get to the speed of light. The faster you go, the slower time goes for you.

To explain this, say there are two twin brothers. On their 30th birthday, one of the brothers goes on a space journey in a superfast rocket that travels at 99% of the speed of light. The space traveller stays on his journey for precisely 1 year, whereupon he returns to Earth on his 31st birthday. On Earth, however, 7 years have elapsed, so his twin brother is 37 years old at the time of his arrival. This is due to the fact that time is stretched by a factor of 7 at approx. 99% the speed of light, which means that in the space traveller's reference frame, 1 year is equivalent to 7 years on earth. Yet, time appears to have passed normally to both brothers.

Well, I decided to do some calculations with Einstein's equation using another time dilation formula:

"But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." (2 Peter 3:8)

When this is plugged into Einstein's time dilation formula, the result is THE SPEED OF LIGHT. In other words, God would have to be traveling at the speed of light for one of HIS DAYS to equal 1,000 of our years, according to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity.

Remember:

"Then spoke Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." (John 8:12)

Of course I am aware that "the light" in John here is spiritual. But I find it fascinating that the physical aspects of "the light" are also right on target.

Just something to think about.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 PM

987 posts, read 1,118,387 times
Pretty fascinating stuff, Iluin.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,535 times
Wow, that is pretty cool. Haven't thought of it that way.

Scripture says God is light. So He is travelling at the speed of light -> the mythical time travel speed! Interesting.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
"Freedom of thought, travels with the light of wisdom; but adversity falls like lightening."

Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There are many levels of analysis that get lumped together when considering the cause of things. Clearly God is the original source of EVERYTHING . . . but that does NOT mean he is the proximate cause of ALL or even MOST things. Proximate means the actual direct cause of something . . . not some distant original source of the chain of events called our reality that resulted in the something. WE are the proximate cause of any and all evil or good that results from our choices and decisions . . . NOT God just because God created us. This silly idea that God is responsible for everything because He is all powerful and created everything has to be revealed for the silliness that it is. God is responsible for the "Laws" (both physical and spiritual) that govern what happens in our reality . . . but WE incur the consequences of violating those "Laws" (whatever they might be) . . . NOT as punishment . . . but as the natural consequences of our choices or decisions. Jump off a 30 story building and you will suffer the consequences of violating the law of gravity . . . but it is not a punishment by God just because He created the "Law."

WE have DOMINION on the earth. Do you understand what that means? God set up the physical and spiritual laws . . . we are constrained to follow them or else . . . NOT as punishment . . . but as natural consequences of our refusal to obey the requirements of the laws. God intervenes here on earth ONLY spiritually through influencing us or others . . . NOT through magic. The physical Jesus was the only one capable of altering the physical consequences of the "Laws" God established here on earth. But He only abides with us SPIRITUALLY now as the Comforter . . . NOT physically. We need to get real about what are and are not caused by God. Virtually NOTHING on earth is directly (proximately) caused by God.
Amen

Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ah Shana . . . I love your posts BECAUSE they are YOUR posts . . . NOT God's. God has DRAWN you to Him . . . but He does not MAKE us do anything. We are NOT robots or mere actors playing the parts He scripted. As far as cimaroon's concern about diminishing God's sovereignty . . . he has it exactly backward. Our Dominion over the earth does NOT reduce God's sovereignty because we have Dominion by His express Will exercising His sovereignty. Those who believe He does NOT have the Supreme Sovereignty to grant US Dominion over the earth are the ones who diminish the scope and power of His sovereignty and limit His Will, IMO. Peace and God Bless.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmyler View Post
I actually love the idea of a micro-managing detreministic God, cause he's sure doing a better job at directing my life, than I ever could.
Even if He is directing you to sin? If that is the case I can do a better job of directing myself.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
We can by faith begin to walk in that state. We can by faith walk calm above a world of strife. Be of good cheer for I have overcame the world. My example is He.
Amen, greater is He that is in me then he that is in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity