U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities
3,525 posts, read 5,818,718 times
Reputation: 5765

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone believes that it takes merely a high moral code, or simply put, good works to enter into eternal peace. What does your religion teach you on Sunday mornings as to what it takes to ensure you enter that peace.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
 
Location: The Magic Kingdom
7,067 posts, read 2,905,414 times
Reputation: 874
Christianity teaches that no one is good, save God. Faith in the redemptive work of Jesus Christ is the only path to Heaven.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
 
6,209 posts, read 3,995,489 times
Reputation: 649
Jesus said why do you call me 'Lord', but do not do what I say? Also, many will call Him Lord, but not enter into the Kingdom.

So in essence, there is something we must do. It could be called a high moral code.


Luke 6:45
A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

Luke 6:46
“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?


2 Peter 1:5
F
or this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.
10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 AM
 
Location: RI
19,453 posts, read 9,598,401 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Christianity teaches that no one is good, save God. Faith in the redemptive work of Jesus Christ is the only path to Heaven.
Thankfully Jesus did not go around teaching that, whether it is true or not. Show me where Jesus said to anyone you are no good, or you are not good enough. If you beleve you are no good, you are for sure to be no good. For as a man thinks in his heart so is he.

Yes I know he said "why call me good". it was His union with the Father which was good.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 4,035,846 times
Reputation: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
Just wondering if anyone believes that it takes merely a high moral code, or simply put, good works to enter into eternal peace.
No. I do not...but I will say that without good works you will not have eternal life....because faith without good works is D-E-A-D F-A-I-T-H....and God says that EVERYONE W-I-L-L E-A-C-H B-E J-U-D-G-E-D A-C-C-O-R-D-I-N-G T-O T-H-E-I-R W-O-R-K-S . It is written.

Do you believe that one who is born of God can continue to commit willfull sin and still receive eternal life ?

Answer: According to God, NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook
What does your religion teach you on Sunday mornings as to what it takes to ensure you enter that peace.
I do not go to a building on Sunday to sit under some false teacher who proclaims that you can continue to commit sin and still receive eternal life...I was taught that for 22 years of my life, and since I received the knowledge of the truth in Christ Jesus, I have learned from God's word that this it is a lie from the pit of hell.

I keep the seventh day (Saturday) Sabbath holy unto God and worship Him in Spirit and in Truth....He is my Faithful and True Teacher of all this is good and righteous and holy in His eyes.


.....blessing to you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 AM
 
Location: RI
19,453 posts, read 9,598,401 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
No. I do not...but I will say that without good works you will not have eternal life....because faith without good works is D-E-A-D F-A-I-T-H....and God says that EVERYONE W-I-L-L E-A-C-H B-E J-U-D-G-E-D A-C-C-O-R-D-I-N-G T-O T-H-E-I-R W-O-R-K-S . It is written.

Do you believe that one who is born of God can continue to commit willfull sin and still receive eternal life ?

Answer: According to God, NO.

I do not go to a building on Sunday to sit under some false teacher who proclaims that you can continue to commit sin and still receive eternal life...I was taught that for 22 years of my life, and since I received the knowledge of the truth in Christ Jesus, I have learned from God's word that this it is a lie from the pit of hell.

I keep the seventh day (Saturday) Sabbath holy unto God and worship Him in Spirit and in Truth....He is my Faithful and True Teacher of all this is good and righteous and holy in His eyes.


.....blessing to you.
Do you go on Saturday instead ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: The Magic Kingdom
7,067 posts, read 2,905,414 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Thankfully Jesus did not go around teaching that, whether it is true or not. Show me where Jesus said to anyone you are no good, or you are not good enough. If you beleve you are no good, you are for sure to be no good. For as a man thinks in his heart so is he.

Yes I know he said "why call me good". it was His union with the Father which was good.
Mark 10:18

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM
 
Location: RI
19,453 posts, read 9,598,401 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Mark 10:18

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone."
I knew you were going to quote that. He is not saying to someone "you are no good", you do not have a single verse of scripture where Jesus said to anyone "you are no good". It doesn't matter if no one is no good, the point is Jesus did not go around telling folk "you are no good",so why are you?. The good news is not "you are no good", the good news is God is good, you,magnify God instead of sin, will ya.b
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 AM
 
25,085 posts, read 8,897,863 times
Reputation: 41601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
Just wondering if anyone believes that it takes merely a high moral code, or simply put, good works to enter into eternal peace. What does your religion teach you on Sunday mornings as to what it takes to ensure you enter that peace.
I think a high moral code and good works are fundamental... just not fundamental to salvation aka eternal peace. The free gift of grace is the only way... it is not by a man's works or his character, however his works and character should reflect his faith- doing what you know to do is right is it's own reward because "u will reap what u sow" & "what goes around comes around". I am not overly religious, but I believe. I think many religions teach grace, but it seems to me the ones I have been affiliated w/ teach "condition salvation" due the the concern of giving people a license to sin. As if they need one lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 AM
 
Location: The Magic Kingdom
7,067 posts, read 2,905,414 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I knew you were going to quote that. He is not saying to someone "you are no good", you do not have a single verse of scripture where Jesus said to anyone "you are no good". It doesn't matter if no one is no good, the point is Jesus did not go around telling folk "you are no good",so why are you?. The good news is not "you are no good", the good news is God is good, you,magnify God instead of sin, will ya.b
You know what I meant. You don't care for me & that clouds your views of anything I say. However, for the sake of others, I'll explain.

Our "goodness", when compared to our Holy God is inadequate, to say the least. Jesus' redemptive work serves to reconcile us to God.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top