Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:13 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times

Advertisements

Although this was posted in my lighthearted bug thread. I really didn't know that there were no carnivores prior to the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
This would seem reasonable.. The bugs may have been there, but as it says in the Bible:

Genesis 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

... it looks like before the fall, there were no carnivores! spiders didn't eat flies, etc.. everything subsisted on plant life. The predator/prey system was instituted after the fall, IMO, and along with this came the "pest" part of the world.. Poisonous spiders, snakes, etc, mosquitoes and leeches needing blood..
So should we not eat meat in order to live more closely to what God originally intended for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 11:36 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
No I don't think so. I am still going to eat things that had parents

Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Well, we know Jesus cooked and ate fish. So...I would assume not. Also, Peter fell into a trance and saw all kinds of previously "unclean" food and he was instructed to 'kill and eat.' So...again, I assume not. Later in Timothy, St. Paul makes a reference that in the last days there will be some who will forbid to marry and to eat meat...So again, I assume not.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:07 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Well.. there were a few other things that changed after the fall, too.. For instance, wearing clothing! (So maybe naked vegetarian hippies had something going after all! LOL!)
But back to the OP..
Genesis 3: 21 ¶ Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
It appears that after the fall, an animal would have had to die to make clothing for them. IMO, this would have been the beginning of the era of flesh being killed for food, whether it be animals killing other animals or humans killing them. Not God's original plan, but death came because of sin..

Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Although this was posted in my lighthearted bug thread. I really didn't know that there were no carnivores prior to the fall.

So should we not eat meat in order to live more closely to what God originally intended for us?
I think there are undeniable benefits to not eating meat, and coming from California I know several vegetarians who look great and feel great...they realize it is a personal decision but the benefits to their health have been astounding! So...jury's out a bit on this one for me...I think we shouldn't be under the law about it, but...

And you know what I just noticed for the first time ever about the verse that was quoted?

Genesis 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

The wording here strikes me as a bit odd. If God created all animals and people to be vegetarians, why did He liken "green herbs" as "meat"? Does anyone see what I'm getting at here? Like, why didn't God just say green herbs were for "food" instead of "meat", if no one was supposed to want to eat meat anyway, and I assume, would never have done so if sin didn't happen? Yet it sounds like He was subsituting meat with green herbs for everyone...

Did that make a lick of sense, as my dad would say?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I think there are undeniable benefits to not eating meat, and coming from California I know several vegetarians who look great and feel great...they realize it is a personal decision but the benefits to their health have been astounding! So...jury's out a bit on this one for me...I think we shouldn't be under the law about it, but...

And you know what I just noticed for the first time ever about the verse that was quoted?

The wording here strikes me as a bit odd. If God created all animals and people to be vegetarians, why did He liken "green herbs" as "meat"? Does anyone see what I'm getting at here? Like, why didn't God just say green herbs were for "food" instead of "meat", if no one was supposed to want to eat meat anyway, and I assume, would never have done so if sin didn't happen? Yet it sounds like He was subsituting meat with green herbs for everyone...

Did that make a lick of sense, as my dad would say?
It makes sense, but you're the "original language" king! What does the word mean in the original language?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:17 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
It makes sense, but you're the "original language" king! What does the word mean in the original language?
Oh kaykay! This verse doesn't have hell in it, so how would I know?!LOL!

I'm not wanting to the leg work myself...but okay, gosh darn it, Blue Letter Bible , here I come!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:25 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
I'm thinking that the word "meat" in this sense wouldn't have meant "flesh" as we think of the term, rather any edible, nutritious food... but I'm waiting to see what you find, jeff!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Oh kaykay! This verse doesn't have hell in it, so how would I know?!LOL!

I'm not wanting to the leg work myself...but okay, gosh darn it, Blue Letter Bible , here I come!
Unwritten rule of CD Religion Forum- poster that questions word in scripture has to do "the leg work."

Old 09-27-2007, 12:39 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Unwritten rule of CD Religion Forum- poster that questions word in scripture has to do "the leg work."
Thats right..I fall into the old say-so "Its in the bible"..Hey, anyone want part of this steak hoagie I just heated up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity