Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:41 PM

285 posts, read 1,205,740 times

Advertisements

Okay so I was raised and baptized as a jehovahs witness I know longer believe in the doctrines anymore
Dont judge me if youre a jehovahs witness i live in America and I have the right to believe what I want to believe just like what you believe RESPECT THAT!!!!

Now! : )

The religion that I was taught is non trinitarian, but most christians believe in the Trinity

All I know about the Trinity is that Jesus is God the son of God and the Holy Spirit and that even though its 3 its considered one because its the personalities I think.

Even though Non Trinitarians dont believe in the Trinity, FOR ME they still believe in 3 maybe not together but they still believe in 3 God separate Jesus separate and the Holy Spirit separate!

Even though I dont really understand enough about the Trinity I cant say its not true because in my opinion
God created EVERYTHING and us humans, and God has other supernatural powers too and so if he can do everything How come he cant turn into a human as we are as he made us? You know? Also another reason for me to kind of believe in the Trinity is even though it doesnt say it in the bible, but yet it says God created us in his image! So that another reason I guess

And also supposedly Christianity is a monotheistic religion and its pretty much Jesus, if anything else it would be pagan! Wouldnt it

But what makes me kind of not understand The Trinity is that when Jesus was on Earth and when he was on the cross with the other men on the cross, supposedly Jesus prayed to God (The father) So why would he be praying to himself if he is supposed to be the almighty God?

Yet people say that the Trinity is a false teaching so Im stuck but I want to believe in Jesus I want to believe that he is the Savior

But its really hard when you're gay and having the " Wannabe Christians" tearing my spirits down and telling me that Im going to hell or that Im going to die when armageddon comes!

For me I have 2 categories theyre are Christians and wannabe Christians, Christians are people who believe in Christ and treat everyone equal and love their neighbors as themselves and that it doesnt matter what religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation you are,
but you have Wannabe Christians who themselves want to be Christ and want to judge people and want to say to other people on whats right and whats wrong!

But at the end of the day I still think and believe the scripture (I forgot where it was) but its basically warning people, that "Christians" in the churches are wolves in sheeps clothing, so thats why I laugh and dont pay attention to "Christians" that tell me its a serious sin and that Im going to die and never will live on, because like they say wolves sheeps clothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTy9 View Post
Okay so I was raised and baptized as a jehovahs witness I know longer believe in the doctrines anymore
Dont judge me if youre a jehovahs witness i live in America and I have the right to believe what I want to believe just like what you believe RESPECT THAT!!!!

The religion that I was taught is non trinitarian, but most christians believe in the Trinity

All I know about the Trinity is that Jesus is God the son of God and the Holy Spirit and that even though its 3 its considered one because its the personalities I think.

Even though Non Trinitarians dont believe in the Trinity, FOR ME they still believe in 3 maybe not together but they still believe in 3 God separate Jesus separate and the Holy Spirit separate!

Even though I dont really understand enough about the Trinity I cant say its not true because in my opinion
God created EVERYTHING and us humans, and God has other supernatural powers too and so if he can do everything How come he cant turn into a human as we are as he made us? You know? Also another reason for me to kind of believe in the Trinity is even though it doesnt say it in the bible, but yet it says God created us in his image! So that another reason I guess

And also supposedly Christianity is a monotheistic religion and its pretty much Jesus, if anything else it would be pagan! Wouldnt it

But what makes me kind of not understand The Trinity is that when Jesus was on Earth and when he was on the cross with the other men on the cross, supposedly Jesus prayed to God (The father) So why would he be praying to himself if he is supposed to be the almighty God?

Yet people say that the Trinity is a false teaching so Im stuck but I want to believe in Jesus I want to believe that he is the Savior

But its really hard when you're gay and having the " Wannabe Christians" tearing my spirits down and telling me that Im going to hell or that Im going to die when armageddon comes!

For me I have 2 categories theyre are Christians and wannabe Christians, Christians are people who believe in Christ and treat everyone equal and love their neighbors as themselves and that it doesnt matter what religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation you are,
but you have Wannabe Christians who themselves want to be Christ and want to judge people and want to say to other people on whats right and whats wrong!

But at the end of the day I still think and believe the scripture (I forgot where it was) but its basically warning people, that "Christians" in the churches are wolves in sheeps clothing, so thats why I laugh and dont pay attention to "Christians" that tell me its a serious sin and that Im going to die and never will live on, because like they say wolves sheeps clothing
There are so much more important things for you to be concerned about as it pertains to receiving your eternal life/salvation...before you go on and try to conquer less important things as it pertains to spiritual truth....but you seek, so I will offer this truth to you nevertheless...

Briefly stated, the doctrine of "The Trinity" declares that God, the Supreme Being consists of three persons: The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit who are each co-equal and co-eternal.

Down through the centuries many brilliant theologians have labored to establish the Trinitarian doctrine as the foundational truth of Christianity. However, There are two unimpeachable witnesses whose quiet testimony proves beyond a shadow of doubt that the doctrine of The Trinity is a fraud:

1. The Biblical Witness:

The three-in-one God doctrine is not presented anywhere in the Bible. The Trinity was not taught by the prophets or the apostles, and more importantly, it was not taught by Jesus.

2. The Historical Witness:

There is no record of the co-equal, co-eternal, three-in-one God being taught by a single one of the early church fathers. It was not a part of Christian teaching until it was formulated by the Second Ecumenical Council at Constantinople in 381.A.D.

Jesus did not teach the Trinity, the apostles did not teach it, and it was not taught by church leaders for three hundred years after the death of Christ. It seems to me that knowing these facts, no reasonable person could possibly believe that the Trinity is the key doctrine of Christendom. And yet most theologians and church leaders continue to ignore the eloquent silence of these witnesses and insist that the 3-in-1 God is the God of the Bible. Why?

For sixteen hundred years Trinitarian churches have cast out and even murdered those who refused to believe in their definition of God. Today, an adulterer or murderer who says he loves Jesus is accepted by their churches - but, they say, the one who refuses to believe in the Trinity cannot be saved. That is the great tragedy of Trinitarianism; it has become the test of faith.

The true test of a believer is given by the apostle John:

"He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments is a liar," (1 John 2:4)

On the contrary, the Trinitarians would say:

"He that saith, I know Him and believeth not in the Trinity is a liar,"

Through the doctrine of the Trinity, Satan has managed to shift the focus from obedience to the commandments of God as the test of orthodoxy, to belief in a type of God invented by a few theologians of the fourth century.

The foundation of Trinitarian doctrine is the fifth century Athanasian Creed which says this of the Trinity:

"...And the catholic faith is this, that we worship one God in Trinity and Trinity in Unity...the whole three persons co-eternal and co-equal...He therefore that will be saved >MUST THINK THUS< of the Trinity." I ask you, Where is THAT found in the Bible?

The answer is of course, that it is not found in the word of God, rather, it comes from deductions and suppositions about the word of God. Trinitarians offer forced interpretations of ambiguous verses, while ignoring clear statements of Jesus and the apostles which contradict their doctrine. For example:

"The Father is greater than I." (John 14:28)

"...the head of every man is Christ...and the head of Christ is God." (1 Cor 11:3)

I hope my Trinitarian brethren will look at those verses with an open mind for just a few moments. Think about it...If the head of Christ is God then how could they be co-equal? The word "co" means - in the same way. If Jesus is not equal in authority, he is not co-equal. Remember, Paul was talking about Jesus after His resurrection, not when he was on earth as man.

In 1 Corinthians 15:27, Paul wrote:

"For He [God the Father] has put all things in subjection under His [Jesus] feet. But when it says, 'All things are put in subjection under Him' it is plain that He is excepted who put all things under Him."

If Jesus was co-equal with the Father, why would there be a need to put all things in subjection under Him? Daniel wrote:

"...and he [Jesus] came to the Ancient of days and was presented before Him. And to Him was >given< dominion, and glory and kingdom," (Dan 7:13)

I do not understand how Trinitarians can read those words "was given dominion" and believe that Jesus is co-equal with the Father. How could Jesus be given anything if He really was eternal God?

I hope all who read this message will search their hearts and their Bibles for the reason why some Christians should reject those of us who love Jesus and give our lives to serve him, just because we
have different views concerning the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

The question I would ask you is: Where did Jesus or the apostles ever teach that we should judge our brethren by the doctrine of the Trinity? I cannot find one. Can you?

God Bless you TyTy.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
There is two aspects of your question.... [1] where in the Bible, and [2] comprehension of it.

[1 A]
"Deity" Colossians 2:9
Most direct verse speaking of the “Trinity”
The teaching of the Trinity is found by compiling several scriptures... beginning with this:

Colossians 2:9 “For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,”

"Deity" in greek èåüôçò ..... godhead. That is derived from èåüò .... the supreme Divinity\ God

[1 B]
SINGULAR GOD, PLURAL REFERANCE TO HIMSELF
Genesis 1:26 in which God says "Let us make man in our own image"
Genesis 3:22 in which God says, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil.
Genesis 11:7 in which God says, "Let us go down and confuse their language.
Isaiah 6:8 in which God says, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"

[1 C]
> Multiple verses where same name is for the Father is also for the Son
> Verses where the H.S. is being lied to, the Spirit spoke, the Holy Spirit being called God

>Verses where in the OT, Jehovah is refered to as the "Rock" which lead Isreal and Jesus is refered to as the "Rock" in the NT and being the one who was the "Rock" of the OT.

> John 1:1.. Jesus is God yet with Him at the same time
>John 8:56-58... Jesus said he actually saw Abraham, Jesus claim that he was "I am" the same "I am" that spoke to Moses.

[1 D]
OT Jehovah says: ... NT fulfillment

OT Ezekiel 34:12
As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep.
  • NT John 10:14
    “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me
Ezekiel 34:16
A: I will search for the lost and bring back the strays.
B1: I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, [B2] but the sleek and the strong I will destroy.
C: I will shepherd the flock with justice.

NT fulfillment:
  • A: Luke 19:10
    "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.”
  • B1:Matthew 14:14
    When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
  • B2:Matthew 12:20
    A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out, till he leads justice to victory.
  • C:Matthew 12:20
    A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out, till he leads justice to victory

Taking everything together, what is taught is that God is Triune and Jesus is God.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:

TyTy9, the Bible says that God the Father is God (Eph 4:6), that Jesus Christ is God (John 1:1; Phil 2:5-8), and that the Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4). Yet the Bible also says that God is One (Deut 6:4)

The church has always known that the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are God as revealed in the Bible, but it took hundred of years for the church to arrive at a correct understanding of exactly what this means.

What I will do here is to provide you with a study on the doctrine of God and the Person of Christ, given by Dr. Robert Dean who is pastor of West Houston Bible Church and the Chairman of the Governing Board for Chafer Theological Seminary.

DeanBible.org: Audio Files

Just go into the link and click on the following: Click on the part that says 'History of Doctrine' to access the lesson. This study will cover the development of the churches understanding of the Biblical doctrine of the Trinity.

History of Doctrine 005
Doctrine of God. Part 1: The Fathers and Apologists. February 18, 2008

History of Doctrine 006
Doctrine of God. Part 2: The Theologians. February 18, 2008

History of Doctrine 007
Doctrine of God. Part 3: The Ancient Church (The Holy Spirit). February 25, 2008

History of Doctrine 008
Doctrine of God. Part 4: The Medieval and Reformation Church. February 25, 2008

History of Doctrine 009
The Doctrine of God. Part 5: The German and American Rationalists. March 03, 2008

History of Doctrine 010
The Person of Christ. Part 1: The Ancient Church. March 03, 2008

History of Doctrine 011
The Person of Christ. Part 2: The Ancient Church Cont. March 24, 2008

History of Doctrine 012
The Person of Christ. Part 3: The Medieval and Reformation Church. March 24, 2008

History of Doctrine 013
The Person of Christ. Part 4: The Modern Church. March 31, 2008

Jesus Christ is the unique Person of the Universe. As God He has always existed. And since the Incarnation some 2000 years ago He is also true humanity. He is both fully God and fully man. The two natures of Christ exist in the one Person of Christ. The doctrine of the Hypostatic Union explains this. >> DOCTRINE OF THE HYPOSTATIC UNION AND KENOSIS When Jesus Christ prayed to the Father He did so from the standpoint of His humanity.

If you will take the time to listen and also to study the link I provided on the Hypostatic Union and Kenosis of Jesus Christ this will help your understanding of the tri-unity of the Persons of the Godhead.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 PM

154 posts, read 210,147 times
The Trinity multiplies Gods on us. The one true God manifested himself as a man and came into the world.

16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1 Tim. 3:16

Jesus is God as a man. At the same time he is YHWH.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:

You know, you don't have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian. If you were raised as a Jehovah's Witness, you are well aware that Jesus' Apostles and the people he was closest to during His mortal life did not believe that He and His Father were "one in substance." He never said they were. He worshipped His Father as His God. But as the Only Begotten Son of God, He too was divine. Consider this perspective...

I believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh. While I believe that God is the Father of the spirits of each and every person who has ever lived, and that we are all His spirit offspring, Jesus Christ is most definitely in a class by Himself. He was with His Father in the beginning. Under His Father's direction, He created worlds without number. He was chosen to be "the Lamb" prior to the foundation of this world. He sits today on the right hand of His Father. Along with the Holy Ghost, the Father and the Son make up the Godhead.

I believe that our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ have a true father-son relationship. The words, "Father" and "Son," in other words, mean exactly what they say. They are not metaphorical or symbolic of a vague metaphysical relationship, in which two beings are some how both part of a single essence. We are each the physical sons and daughters of our mortal parents. Jesus Christ is the literal, physical Son of a divine Father and a mortal Mother. He was conceived in a miraculous way, but like all sons, was in the "express image of His Father's person." That is to say, He looked like Him. Dogs beget puppies, and cats beget kittens. God beget a Son who is the same species as He is. They both have bodies of flesh and bone (although, until His birth in Bethlehem, Jesus Christ was a spirit being only).

The Father and the Son are physically distinct from one another, and yet they are also "one." "One" doesn't have to be referring to a numeral. It is entirely biblical to recognize that the Father and the Son are "one" in something other than physical substance or essence. I believe they are "one in will and purpose, one in mind and heart, and one in power and glory." It would be impossible to explain, or even to understand, the degree of their unity. It is perfect; it is absolute. They think, feel and act as "one God." Because of this perfect unity, and because they share the title of "God," we think of them together in this way. It would be impossible for us to worship one of them without also worshipping the other.

Most Christians also use the words “co-equal” and “co-eternal” to describe the relationship between the Father and the Son. I don't. I believe that, as is again the case with all fathers and sons, the Father existed prior to His Son. No son's existence precedes his father's, and Jesus Christ is no exception to this rule. I also believe Christ to be subordinate to His Father. He is divine because of His relationship with His Father. It is, however, important to understand what I mean when I use the word "subordinate." I understand that the Son holds a subordinate position in the relationship; that doesn't mean He's an inferior being. As an example, a colonel holds an inferior position to a general, but is not an inferior being. To most people's way of thinking, an ant, however, is an inferior being to a human.

Quote:
I'm sure it must be really, really hard. But you don't have to believe these "Wannabe Christians." Do you think that when you stand before God to be judged, He's going to ask the people who are condemning you whether to send you to Hell or not? He isn't going to need their help. In the end, your salvation is going to be between you and God, not between you and anybody else. Try to keep that in mind, and remain strong. God loves you every bit as much as He loves anybody else.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, you don't have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian. If you were raised as a Jehovah's Witness, you are well aware that Jesus' Apostles and the people he was closest to during His mortal life did not believe that He and His Father were "one in substance." He never said they were. He worshipped His Father as His God. But as the Only Begotten Son of God, He too was divine. Consider this perspective...

I believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh. While I believe that God is the Father of the spirits of each and every person who has ever lived, and that we are all His spirit offspring, Jesus Christ is most definitely in a class by Himself. He was with His Father in the beginning. Under His Father's direction, He created worlds without number. He was chosen to be "the Lamb" prior to the foundation of this world. He sits today on the right hand of His Father. Along with the Holy Ghost, the Father and the Son make up the Godhead.

I believe that our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ have a true father-son relationship. The words, "Father" and "Son," in other words, mean exactly what they say. They are not metaphorical or symbolic of a vague metaphysical relationship, in which two beings are some how both part of a single essence. We are each the physical sons and daughters of our mortal parents. Jesus Christ is the literal, physical Son of a divine Father and a mortal Mother. He was conceived in a miraculous way, but like all sons, was in the "express image of His Father's person." That is to say, He looked like Him. Dogs beget puppies, and cats beget kittens. God beget a Son who is the same species as He is. They both have bodies of flesh and bone (although, until His birth in Bethlehem, Jesus Christ was a spirit being only).

The Father and the Son are physically distinct from one another, and yet they are also "one." "One" doesn't have to be referring to a numeral. It is entirely biblical to recognize that the Father and the Son are "one" in something other than physical substance or essence. I believe they are "one in will and purpose, one in mind and heart, and one in power and glory." It would be impossible to explain, or even to understand, the degree of their unity. It is perfect; it is absolute. They think, feel and act as "one God." Because of this perfect unity, and because they share the title of "God," we think of them together in this way. It would be impossible for us to worship one of them without also worshipping the other.

Most Christians also use the words “co-equal” and “co-eternal” to describe the relationship between the Father and the Son. I don't. I believe that, as is again the case with all fathers and sons, the Father existed prior to His Son. No son's existence precedes his father's, and Jesus Christ is no exception to this rule. I also believe Christ to be subordinate to His Father. He is divine because of His relationship with His Father. It is, however, important to understand what I mean when I use the word "subordinate." I understand that the Son holds a subordinate position in the relationship; that doesn't mean He's an inferior being. As an example, a colonel holds an inferior position to a general, but is not an inferior being. To most people's way of thinking, an ant, however, is an inferior being to a human.

I'm sure it must be really, really hard. But you don't have to believe these "Wannabe Christians." Do you think that when you stand before God to be judged, He's going to ask the people who are condemning you whether to send you to Hell or not? He isn't going to need their help. In the end, your salvation is going to be between you and God, not between you and anybody else. Try to keep that in mind, and remain strong. God loves you every bit as much as He loves anybody else.
Katzpur, the Bible does indeed teach that Jesus is of the same substance, the same essence as the Father. The writer of Hebrews states in Heb 1:3 that Jesus is of the same hupostasis - subtance as the Father.

Heb 1:3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation (charaktér) of His nature (hupostasis - referring to the essential nature of God, to His essence, His substance), and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

The word charaktér from which we get the word character refers to an engraved or stamped image. As the image of a stamp or die is, so also Jesus Christ in His substance - essence - nature is the exact image of the Father. Jesus Christ is the revealed Person of the Godhead. In order for the three Persons of the Godhead to be One God they must have identical essence. Otherwise they would be three separate gods as in Tri-theism.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:53 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,721,244 times
It's simple why the Trinity concept had to be developed. As long as Jesus was thought of as being the messiah but not divine himself, the original Christians remained a sect within orthodox Judaism. (See Acts of the Apostles).

But when the idea that Jesus too was divine developed, the "Shema" (Hear O Israel, the Lord is One) was violated and the Christians were anathmatized (as "minim" or heretics) from the Jewish synagougues.

Hence, a belief in a two in one God, and later a three in one Godhead had to be developed. The concepts of various aspects of God were turned into separate persons within the Godhead.

For example, Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created heaven, and earth. And the earth was void and empty, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God moved over the waters."

Later "the spirit of God" became a person in its own right: the "Holy Spirit." This type of thinking developed in the second century and became more fully developed in the third and fourth, finally the belief in the Trinity becoming "dogma."

Last edited by ancient warrior; 06-26-2012 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
The Biblical witness is clear. There is one God. Yet,there are three persons that are all God, the Father the Son and the HOly Spirit. The rational mind cannot believe this. It is purely a matter of faith. The Trinity must be taken on faith, not rationally "made sense of"

Old 06-26-2012, 07:25 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
How to believe the Trinity? I dont get it
It is very central to many Christians, though not all Christians hold to that doctrine.

I find it odd that such an 'important' doctrine is not taught anywhere in the Bible. We have God's Holy Word and yet not a peep.

Yes, if your already convinced, and you deep you may find references here and there, that you can piece together to support an argument for trinity.

Nowhere does God simply lay it out and explain it. Which tells me that either it does not exist, or else it is not among the 'Everything pertaining to Life and godliness' topics that the bible teaches.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity