U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,361,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Remember times in your own life when you felt embattled?
How did you deal with your struggles?
How would you apply The Lord of Hosts in these struggles?
And name one thing that you could do today that would help
you face future battles with greater faith?

The name Yahweh Tseboath is a title of great power.
It occurs in the bible more than 240 times in the Hebrew Scriptures,
and it constantly remind of that all of creation, in it's fallen condition,
is under God's rule and reign. When the Scripture speaks of the Lord of Hosts
leading a great army we can see this great power displayed.
Cherubim and seraphim; sun and the moon; stars and sky; rivers and mountains;hail and snow; men and women; animals that are wild and tame-all these worship the Lord and at times called to fight on His behalf. The NIV translates this power as the "Lord Almighty".

Contrast David's attitude toward the battle ofVGoliath's.

.................................................. .................................................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 08:18 AM

392 posts, read 279,349 times
Default Get excited by struggles. It's yet another chance to prove your loyalty to Christ.

Struggles (aka trials and tribulations) are key. In Christian lingo, the term is sanctification. You'll often hear the phrase, "process of sanctification", which is the process Christians go through in order to become more Christ-like via the use of struggles. The good news is all struggles are directed by God for our benefit. There purpose: to fortify our belief in Jesus Christ.

In the midst of a struggle, pray. Stay close to others who are also in Christ. Read the Word. Meditate on the Word. Sink yourself into Christ. In one way, God is saying, "Hey! Times are tough. I made it that way on purpose, but only for now. What are you going to do? Are you going to give up being a Christian and become buddist/muslim/hindu now just b/c it's tough? Or are you going to be w/ me through to the end?"

When the struggle has passed, b/c the Bible promises it will, if your faith in Him is still intact, you've been fortified. You're in the process of being santified. You're closer to resembling Christ than you were before the struggle began.

Last edited by grew-up-3rd-culture; 09-28-2007 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-28-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
Struggles (aka trials and tribulations) are key. In Christian lingo, the term is sanctification. You'll often hear the phrase, "process of sanctification", which is the process Christians go through in order to become more Christ-like via the use of struggles. The good news is all struggles are directed by God for our benefit. There purpose: to fortify our belief in Jesus Christ.

In the midst of a struggle, pray. Stay close to others who are also in Christ. Read the Word. Meditate on the Word. Sink yourself into Christ. In one way, God is saying, "Hey! Times are tough. I made it that way on purpose, but only for now. What are you going to do? Are you going to give up being a Christian and become buddist/muslim/hindu now just b/c it's tough? Or are you going to be w/ me through to the end?"

When the struggle has passed, b/c the Bible promises it will, if your faith in Him is still intact, you've been fortified. You're in the process of being santified. You're closer to resembling Christ than you were before the struggle began.
Thanks for the posts

Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 AM

392 posts, read 279,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Thanks for the posts
your welcome †

Old 09-28-2007, 09:24 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,162,841 times
Default James 1:22-25

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

23Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.

Struggles require action. Motion produces emotion.... not the other way around. To often we find the need to "feel" a certain way in order to accomplish a task... over come a fear... or fix a broken relationship. Actually reading, learning, knowing has nothing to do with the outcome, if it is not applied.

Quote:
yhwhshalomjr said: How do you deal with your struggles???
Sometimes I'm good at it.... sometimes I fall flat on my face. The more I leave how I "feel" out of the solution... the better the results seem to be.
Hard to do... easy to say.

I've found most struggles come from unmet expectations... at least for me. I've never seen a person who was a "giver" struggle... but show me a selfish person, or materialistic person... and I'll show you someone with tons of struggles. Tithing is a good example... God even challenges us to "test" Him about this. So many, too many... struggle in our finances, and yet God gives us a guarantee... and still, because we do not give, we struggle. It's no wonder the Bible speaks so much about money.
It would seem an easy solution... be a giver, don't be selfish, place your expectations with only God. However ....We all have expectations apart from God... everyone of us. It is better to place the burden on Him ... and He wants it, but our
"hardheadedness", or lack of maturity, our fears, and lack of faith keeps us struggling.

Conquered struggles = freedom

Old 09-28-2007, 09:42 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,131,723 times
In the past, I have failed time and time again to approach my struggles with the Lord. I always wanted to face them head on, all by myself. These past few years, I have noticed that I am putting my faith in the Lord and relying on him more. He is my peace. He is my strength. Without Him, I can do nothing. When facing a struggle, I am reminded Psalm 121:

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth.
3He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
4Behold, he who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

5The LORD is your keeper;
the LORD is your shade on your right hand.
6 The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.

7The LORD will keep you from all evil;
he will keep your life.
8The LORD will keep
your going out and your coming in
from this time forth and forevermore.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,961,166 times
I love the image that my Lord is a lamp unto my feet.
I'm "stuggling", I'm in the dark and this lamp is lighting up maybe 1 to 2 feet in front of me, that's all! Just a couple feet. It requires faith, and a trust in my Lord, to move ahead until the sun comes up again.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:59 PM

Thanks for all of the wonderful replies you guys and gals
I like each answer, it's wisdom for all coming from different perspectives. I can't rep anyone right now, but I'm in the process of trying to get this resolved.l

Thanks for the posts
God Bless You All

Old 10-06-2007, 01:46 AM

329 posts, read 1,312,636 times
The refining process.

"Count it all JOY when you fall into different temptations. Knowing this, that the trials of your faith worketh patience but let patience have her perfect work.." Jas. 1:2-4

During our wilderness experiences we are being refined, like a fine metal. We need to allow the process to be completed even if it brings us great trevail (birthing pains). When we reach the other side there is great joy as we have moved from faith to faith and glory to glory. I can think of several times since I am saved where I have had some episodes of deep despair. I poured myself into prayer, fasting and the Word. I rejoiced in my suffering like Job because I knew I was being refined. The enemy tries so hard to destroy us and our testimony but he cannot prevail. God is so much greater than anything that we may face. That's where maturity comes from..the wilderness.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTina View Post
The refining process.

"Count it all JOY when you fall into different temptations. Knowing this, that the trials of your faith worketh patience but let patience have her perfect work.." Jas. 1:2-4

During our wilderness experiences we are being refined, like a fine metal. We need to allow the process to be completed even if it brings us great trevail (birthing pains). When we reach the other side there is great joy as we have moved from faith to faith and glory to glory. I can think of several times since I am saved where I have had some episodes of deep despair. I poured myself into prayer, fasting and the Word. I rejoiced in my suffering like Job because I knew I was being refined. The enemy tries so hard to destroy us and our testimony but he cannot prevail. God is so much greater than anything that we may face. That's where maturity comes from..the wilderness.
Thanks for your post, it's refreshing to know that we're not along in the struggle, as we're suppose to encourage one another, something that we don't do enough in regards to your reply" The refining process"...
God Bless You. Here's a rep point for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity