Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Hi Richard,

There is nothing biblical with the "sinners prayer". Each record of conversion in the bible experienced repentance and baptism. Unfortunately the sinners prayer was never mentioned therefore it's an unscriptural practice.

John 8:32 tells us that ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. When you study to how thyself approved, you will not fall prey to the false teachers that Jesus and the apostles warned us about.
So what is your point here?...Are you in agreement or attempting to teach me something?...Your response has a style of the latter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
In answer:
Obedience. Keeping Torah cannot save me or anyone else -- never has. Keeping Torah will not help my standing before G-d. Keeping Torah is something I do because the Bible says to do as Messiah did, and He kept Torah. It is also a response of gratefulness for what He has done; therefore, it is out of obedience to Him. The Bible also says Torah is not too hard to keep, that it is near me, even in my mouth.

The Bible is clear: there is only one way of salvation, and that is through Messiah. That has never changed. I cannot work up salvation (works will do nothing to bring it on), I cannot work up faith (it is a gift).

In answer:
Theological, and you hit one of the Scriptures on the head -- Matt 5. Re Acts 10 (not a trap! ), reading further, the Bible tells how Peter interpreted the dream: it was about how to treat people, not a change in what is/is not food. This was never changed or corrected in Scriptures.

Of course, John says repeatedly that Torah is good, that doing Torah is right.

Again, you are in no way offensive. You have the right to ask and receive an answer.
I am coming to believe as you do...Maybe already there...This on account of my deeper research into the Scriptures and Character of Yehovaw Elohim Yawyaw...I believe that HaMeshiach Yeshua was not just the Son of HaShem but He was the embodiement of HaShem, He was the Walking Torah...I am coming to find that the Torah was never done away with...The Jew says that the definition of the Torah as Law is not really proper...It is more Guidence or Instruction...Which has a warmer feel to it...And in this respect I would state that it is not a burden at all...For we have instruction and guidence in our lives everyday in order for something to turn out right...There are ways to do things and ways not to do things...One has a positive impact and the other a negative impact on our lives...The Torah is HaShem's guidence or instruction for our daily lives...It should not be considered a burden...It is meant to give us long life and happiness and peace while on this earth...For instance, If I remember what i read regarding the HaLashon...It is a prohibition of speaking to someone about someone else, whether the statement be true of false...Which to a point co-incides with the commandment of not bearing a false report about your neighbor...It even prohibits speaking to someone about yourself...Whether it be true or false...Thinking about this, it makes logical sense...If you avoid speaking about someone you avoid the chance that what you state about that person may be false, thus breaking the command, because truth is relative...You may believe it is the truth about a person, however, it may be, in reality, false...For instance, If I state to another that you yourself are a thouough researcher, I am basing this off of what I see in your posts...However, although it is a positive report regarding you, It may or may not be true...You may be merely looking things up and cutting and pasting without any real thorough research at all...In other words you are using the research of someone else and it is not your own research...So, by my simple positive report on what I believe to be the truth regarding your research I have broken the Commandment of not bearing a false report against my neighbor...Now, it makes clear sense when someone ask an opinion of someone else they say, "Well, go and ask that person if you really want to know"...That person is not being rude at all they are, whether known or not to them, following Torah...And the HaLashon prohibition of speaking of oneself, whether true or false, makes sense...You avoid boasting of yourself, whether true or false...

Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
VelcroQueen, in ancient Christian times (along about the 5th-6th century, I think), the practice of the Jesus Prayer became prevalant and it is as follows: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner. . A shorter form is sometimes used, which is Lord, Have Mercy.

It is not said just once, but repeatedly, enclosing with attention the meaning of the words in one's mind & heart. This practice puts one on the road towards "Praying without ceasing" as was taught by the Holy Apostle Paul and other disciples. It has been said that this is a perfect prayer, because in it one is calling on Jesus as the Messiah and also recognizing his own true state, but asking for mercy in that day, even as did the thief on the cross.

Cameron B Clark wrote "The Jesus prayer is simple, but the intent is to discipline one's mind toward a constant awareness of God's presence as manifested through Christ's mercy. The prayer reinforces one's absolute dependence on God's grace and sensitizes one's soul to the Holy Spirit's leadings".

Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
VelcroQueen, in ancient Christian times (along about the 5th-6th century, I think), the practice of the Jesus Prayer became prevalant and it is as follows: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner. . A shorter form is sometimes used, which is Lord, Have Mercy.

It is not said just once, but repeatedly, enclosing with attention the meaning of the words in one's mind & heart. This practice puts one on the road towards "Praying without ceasing" as was taught by the Holy Apostle Paul and other disciples. It has been said that this is a perfect prayer, because in it one is calling on Jesus as the Messiah and also recognizing his own true state, but asking for mercy in that day, even as did the thief on the cross.

Cameron B Clark wrote "The Jesus prayer is simple, but the intent is to discipline one's mind toward a constant awareness of God's presence as manifested through Christ's mercy. The prayer reinforces one's absolute dependence on God's grace and sensitizes one's soul to the Holy Spirit's leadings".
Macrina?...Hmmm...Do you own a restaurant somewhere?...

Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
If we are flesh and blood we are imperfect and we are sinners..Therefore every prayer is a sinners prayer. If we are intune to the Holy Spirit who gives us a feeling of remorse, a little silent prayer in your own words, IMO, is what pleases our Father..
No need to make a public display repeating someone else's words.

If you have sinned against a brother or sister just approach them and apologize, no need to wait for a special day to draw a crowd for something private between you and another person..God will be there.

God wants to hear from you

jmho

Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,328 times
Thank you, everyone, for telling me what you know about the "sinners' prayer." This is something i have been curious about for years and never asked. Then, as I took on the ideas re the Reformed teaching, I wondered about its use on a daily basis. Having been of a form of Arminianism, more used to calling my sins "errors" and not being taught to repent of them in prayer as well as in action, I found myself negligent toward prayer for those sins. I just wondered about the use of the "sinners' prayer" for such, when I don't know what to pray about.

Often, at the end of the day, I don't know what to pray about. I can't think of any sins I have committed. Sure, I can think of things I could have done better and such, but nothing specific. I was thinking of a possible cover-all "sinners' prayer."

I am not perfect, as in I am errorless. I can always think of something that could have been done better, that could have been done instead, etc. Maybe looking for a cover-all prayer is a lazy way out.

The ancient prayers that are to be prayed daily help a lot, because they come from the heart when prayed rightly, and my personal, from the heart prayers are acceptable, I know.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:21 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
If we are flesh and blood we are imperfect and we are sinners..Therefore every prayer is a sinners prayer. If we are intune to the Holy Spirit who gives us a feeling of remorse, a little silent prayer in your own words, IMO, is what pleases our Father..
No need to make a public display repeating someone else's words.
If you have sinned against a brother or sister just approach them and apologize, no need to wait for a special day to draw a crowd for something private between you and another person..God will be there.
God wants to hear from you
jmho
Amen, Miss Blue . . . truer and wiser words have not been posted in this forum. Our relationship with God has nothing to do with public displays or pronouncements.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen, Miss Blue . . . truer and wiser words have not been posted in this forum. Our relationship with God has nothing to do with public displays or pronouncements.
No one was mentioning anything about public displays or pronouncements! Of course these prayers are silent.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
No one was mentioning anything about public displays or pronouncements! Of course these prayers are silent.
Silent or out loud . . . the point is that there is no need for any special words or sinners' prayer. Prayer is NOT some magical incantation . . . like "magicadoola, midgicaboola." We are to talk with God as our loving Father who knows everything there is to know about us, period.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:24 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Churches and men are largely responsible for the notion that 'saying a sinner's prayer' is the path to Salvation and eternal life. Frankly, If God is in the business of swapping heaven for a short, recited prayer, He is a much smaller God than revealed in scripture. Having said that, there are a number of things God seeks that are (or should be) embodied in what people often refer to as 'the sinner's prayer' and 'confession of faith.'

1). "God is Spirit and seeks those who worship Him in spirit and truth" -- One does that by lining-up their heart and mind with God's truth and Word ... not through the practice of 'religion.' A 'sinner's prayer' generally acknowledges who God is, what God has done through Christ, and one's heart-level desire for an ongoing relationship with God and life in the Holy Spirit.

2). Prayer is the communication vehicle provided for man to communicate with God -- The power is in God, not the prayer, therefore, prayer is more about an individual personally acknowledging who God is, confessing their faith and seeking God's guidance in their life. A 'sinner's prayer' helps to clarify this in the mind of the individual.'

3). One cannot truly have (and does not need) a "Savior" unless they recognize their own 'sinful', lost condition ... and repent of their sin by asking God for forgiveness through the Savior He has provided, Jesus Christ. A 'sinner's prayer' helps the individual clarify their own need for a Savior and Salvation (instead of simply a desire to go to heaven).

4). A confession of faith before others is established as necessary by Christ: “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven." (Matt 10:31-33) - A 'sinner's prayer is a form of this confession.

5). Finally, God's 'Grace' and the 'individual's faith' are integral components of Salvation and eternal life. One must come to the realization that they come empty-handed to God's throne of Grace ... not that they have somehow earned, deserve or otherwise merit God's forgiveness, mercy or offer of eternal and abundant life in Christ. A sinner's prayer helps the individual recognize what God has done for them in Christ and come with an appropriate sense of gratitude and thanksgiving.

A 'sinner's prayer' as simply a rote or prompted recitation of liturgy is as meaningless as simply reciting the 'Lord's prayer' with no real personal commitment or involvement. But, the components of a 'sinner's prayer' help bring about the heart-level condition the Lord seeks. Yes, one can legalistically declare that a 'sinner's prayer' is not specifically mentioned in scripture. (In some respects, a 'sinner's prayer', like any prayer, incorporates elements (praise, thanksgiving, petition, repentence ...) that bring the individual into a place of relationship with the living God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity