Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:53 PM

238 posts, read 270,545 times

Advertisements

The NT churches spread the gospel and confirmed it’s truth with signs and wonders
“… and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles.” (Acts 2:43, 5:12).

The NT churches were given powerful spiritual gifts to be used in the church and for evangelism
“There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit … the word of wisdom, the word of knowledge,
faith, gifts of healings, the working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, tongues,
interpretation of tongues.” (1 Corinthians 12:4-11)

Paul was trained by the Lord for 17 years (Galatians 1:11--2:1), but …
“… my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom,
but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be
in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.” (1 Corinthians 2:4-5, 1 Thessalonians 1:5)

The apostles warned that false teachers and false doctrines were coming
“… there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies
… And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed.
By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words …” (2 Peter 2:1-3)
Also see 2 Cor. 4:2, Eph. 4:14, Eph. 5:15-17, Col. 2:22, 1 Tim. 1:10, 2 Tim. 3:13, 2 Tim. 4:3-4, Heb. 13:9

The 2 major causes of the early destruction of the spiritual gifts in the Christian church:

First, we must recognize Satan and his powerful influence

Satan, our mortal enemy, is the greatest liar and deceiver in the history of the world.
“the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world” (Revelation 12:9).
“there is no truth in him ... he is liar and the father of it” (John 8:44).
“the god of this world” (2 Corinthians 4:4) … and … “the ruler of this world” (John 12:31).
No one works against God and His purposes with more fury than Satan.
He obviously attacks those who have the most spiritual power and authority.
And he obviously attacks the doctrines that have the most spiritual power attached to them.

Second, the “have-not” church leaders were an obvious problem
The Lord did NOT give powerful spiritual gifts to everyone in the NT churches.
These gifts were special anointings, which were connected with the baptism with the Holy Spirit.
Naturally, those who did NOT have these spiritual gifts were jealous of those who had them.
The “have-nots” in church authority had to find a way to protect their prestigious positions.
They decided that pointing to 1 Corinthians 13:10 was their safest and best excuse.
And many “have-not” church members went along with this rationalization.

1 Corinthians 13:
8 … But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease;
whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.
9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect (complete) has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child;
but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face.
Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as also am known.

“But when that which is perfect (complete) has come” … the NKJV footnote says:
“Most likely, this is a reference to the Second Coming of Christ and the completion of all things
(see verse 12). But some have interpreted this as referring to the completion of the NT canon.
As far as the NT canon being "that which is perfect" … it simply cannot be what Paul meant.
Good exegesis simply disallows this interpretation. Paul was writing to the church at Corinth
and he was writing things that were perfectly understandable to them. They had no way
of knowing that there was even going to be a New Testament canon when Paul wrote this.
I don't believe the Holy Spirit would have inspired Paul to write something to them that
would have been totally incomprehensible because this was not at all a prophetic writing.

“For now we see in a mirror dimly” … the NKJV footnote refers to Philippians 3:12 …
“Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected;
but I press on that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.”

“face to face” … the NKJV footnote refers to 1 John 3:2 …
“Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be,
but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.”

The inevitable result of this major doctrinal change
There was a steadily-decreasing belief in this baptism and its’ resulting spiritual gifts.
Unbelief, and the lack of seeking these blessings, resulted in fewer and fewer people receiving them.
So, belief in the doctrine of the “second blessing”,
and the knowledge that the spiritual gifts had not passed away,
spiraled downward, and a great many dry years followed … until the early 1900’s.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 02:49 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times
Even if you posit that all the spiritual gifts in the NT are still in effect, the doctrine of subsequence (i.e. second blessing) still has no place and unnecessarily creates in the minds of its adherents a two-tier Christianity.

Furthermore, I find it ironic that you state "Second, the 'have-not' church leaders were an obvious problem" when the entire tone and context of 1 Corinthians 12-14 would seem to indicate the opposite.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Still Jesus has alway had His saints who were gifted in His Holy Spirit were signs and wonder for a testimony of Jesus but there was lacks in the churches through out the ages and the end of the persecuted church came during the age which is surprising 666 A.D. which brought the birth of humanism were man started to reject God and become a demigod , were man was a god ... It was a time went people would say `` We don`t have to listen to the church anymore`` , which rejected the Roman gods and Christianity and other religions .... So with this decline , monasteries were being born and expanded , which brought Christianity into seclusion , so the gifts of Holy Spirit became seclusion and a mystery

Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Still Jesus has alway had His saints who were gifted in His Holy Spirit were signs and wonder for a testimony of Jesus but there was lacks in the churches through out the ages and the end of the persecuted church came during the age which is surprising 666 A.D. which brought the birth of humanism were man started to reject God and become a demigod , were man was a god ... It was a time went people would say `` We don`t have to listen to the church anymore`` , which rejected the Roman gods and Christianity and other religions .... So with this decline , monasteries were being born and expanded , which brought Christianity into seclusion , so the gifts of Holy Spirit became seclusion and a mystery
No offense, but what you just wrote makes no sense and is just plain factually incorrect in numerous spots. You seem to be conflating the Englightenment with the Christianization of the Roman Empire, neither of which occurred close to 666 AD (and I'm not even sure how you're tying the number from Revelation to a Western calendar which likely doesn't even have year 0 where it wanted).

Old 07-05-2012, 12:20 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelist-77 View Post
[b]
The NT churches spread the gospel and confirmed it’s truth with signs and wonders
“… and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles.” (Acts 2:43, 5:12).

The NT churches were given powerful spiritual gifts to be used in the church and for evangelism
“There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit … the word of wisdom, the word of knowledge,
faith, gifts of healings, the working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, tongues,
interpretation of tongues.” (1 Corinthians 12:4-11) ...
I am not certain that there is any passage to document that spiritual gifts were given to be used in the church and for evangelism.

They were given to the church for 'profit', but for evangelism?

Could you kindly provide Chapter/Verse that tells us these 'gifts' were given for evangelism?

Thank you.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Even if you posit that all the spiritual gifts in the NT are still in effect, the doctrine of subsequence (i.e. second blessing) still has no place and unnecessarily creates in the minds of its adherents a two-tier Christianity.

Furthermore, I find it ironic that you state "Second, the 'have-not' church leaders were an obvious problem"
when the entire tone and context of 1 Corinthians 12-14 would seem to indicate the opposite.

There's always going to be 2 or more tiers.
In the OT, you had the anointed prophets, and everyone else.
In the NT, you had the anointed leaders with the HS baptism, and everyone else.
Today, ditto.

I was referring to the 'have-not' church leaders of the post-NT era.
Certainly it was a somewhat slow transition from: all leaders having gifts ... to some leaders ... to few leaders.

At some point, a shift began from the Holy Spirit being in charge ... to ... man being in charge.
It's just all common sense.
Don't need post-NT Scriptures to understand any of this.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
To this I can add some info on icons.
Until 1000 a.d. only the priests were educated enough to read.
2 Bulgarians invented the Cyrillic alphabet and began printing Bibles for the Slavic countries to read.
Bulgarian missionaries evangelized Russia, and that's why Russia volunteered to lose 200,000
fighting the Turks to free Bulgaria in 1878.
For several centuries, the Slavs were WAY ahead of the Europeans in education, reading, Bibles, etc.
Icons were everywhere during all of these years, being a visual representation of the Scriptures for those who couldn't read.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am not certain that there is any passage to document that spiritual gifts were given
to be used in the church and for evangelism.
They were given to the church for 'profit', but for evangelism?
Could you kindly provide Chapter/Verse that tells us these 'gifts' were given for evangelism?
Yes, there are several in the OP.
On all of his missionary trips, he had to begin by evangelizing the heathens.
To be successful, he used signs, wonders, and miracles (SWMs).
With the converts, he set up churches and stayed a while to train them, which is what Jesus instructed.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:54 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Yes, there are several in the OP.
Could you share one passage with us, where God says that the gifts are for evangelism?

Thank you.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:

There's always going to be 2 or more tiers.
In the OT, you had the anointed prophets, and everyone else.
In the NT, you had the anointed leaders with the HS baptism, and everyone else.
Today, ditto.

I was referring to the 'have-not' church leaders of the post-NT era.
Certainly it was a somewhat slow transition from: all leaders having gifts ... to some leaders ... to few leaders.

At some point, a shift began from the Holy Spirit being in charge ... to ... man being in charge.
It's just all common sense.
Don't need post-NT Scriptures to understand any of this.
No, you are unnecessarily creating division by trying to justify the doctrine of subsequence based on the fact that there were different offices, both in the OT and NT, and some unprovable claim to history that post-NT church leaders were jealous and tried to stamp out the miraculous gifts. I'm not buying it.

Also, let's take the OT. God called very few people to be prophets - not 100% of believers who had really turned their hearts toward him. But Pentecostals would expect every believer in the NT to be capable of reaching a 2nd tier if they could just let themselves be anointed w/ HS baptism. Doesn't seem very consistent. Furthermore, I don't even think your statement of "In the NT, you had the anointed leaders with the HS baptism, and everyone else." is accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity