U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:12 PM

5,170 posts, read 3,727,230 times

Advertisements

As someone raised Catholic, if I were to adhere to the tradition of my Catholic Faith, I would consider just about all non Catholics as heretics who should be burned at the stake. However, I dont think that way.

But I see here and many other places a fair share of so called "Christians" whose idea of debate is to shotgun volumes of quotes of words and phrases taken out of context and presented as the ONLY POSSIBLE ANSWER and woe unto me if I dont immediately fall on my knees and praise the Lord of your own creation.

Why is it you cling to your translation of the bible, and the research of those brainwashed by a particular point of view as the only possible answer? With no regard to the original context, the original culture, the original history of those doctrines you recite?

First century Christianity was filled with debate over various points of view. Read Paul, for example. Or anything attributed to John. Yet in those environments, Christianity thrived. After the Council of Nicaea in 325, Christianity became bogged down in rules and regulations, leading to centuries of hate and purifications and inquisitions.

In short, why are you afraid to debate with an open mind, with the result that you may discover enlightenment, as opposed to rote dogma?

Looking forward to a good conversation here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM

30,167 posts, read 19,971,676 times
Plain and simple,being convinced what you have been taught is the truth and nothing but the truth, the fear of being displeasing to God and being sent to eternal torment for listening to anything other than what they have been taught.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:20 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,147,663 times
I think Christianity thrived when it had people of authority that could correct the wrongs. After those people died out people looked to other authorities. A lot do want to only use the writings of the new testament as the authority but there are so many different "systems" (or understandings) around that everyone has their own beliefs about things.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:51 PM

11,822 posts, read 9,811,723 times
To me, if one begins with the premise that being "open minded" is rejecting the traditional teachings that my faith is based on, then what do expect those who accept the Catholic Faith would conclude.... that you and he are on the same page as to who is Catholic?

Is that the issue ... you wanting to be considered Catholic despite rejecting the traditional teachings?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 PM

7,859 posts, read 6,664,436 times
See the age of enlightenment and reason is a rejection of the ways of belief and end of faith in the confidence in the Living God Lord Jesus and free thought rejected faith and gave rise to the false prophet and antichrist who would reason out any faith in the truth and the false prophet would ridicule truth and give a false ideas which over shadowed the truth that Jesus authored.... Jesus said in Matthew 7 : 13.... ``Enter you in at the strait gate, for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many go that way..... Because strait is the gate and narrow is the way, which leads to life, and few there will find it .......``..... See Jesus Spirit abides in His Children , and Christians have Jesus spirit , and Jesus spirit will give remembrance to ideas and scriptures , or Word of God that a Christians knows , which in turn uses ...... See there is dogma, which is a doctrine of God which is not debatable by faithful Believers of Christ.... then there is doctrines which believers can believe and make a working fact for faith which will be endless...... Then there is debate which Christians can get into but are there is reason added and questions which do not cross in to faith of God, or cross ideas which God authoried.... usually debate ideas of the world

Old 07-06-2012, 05:11 PM

8,239 posts, read 9,998,349 times
Why Is It That Most "Christians" Are unable to Debate With Open Minds?

Sorry, but Jesus did the same thing and was not 'open minded' at all about false doctrine. Further, He was not crucified for 'lovingly' accepting everything anyone had to say about God or God's truth.

We have the inspired Word of God ---God's Word is true and not really subject to debate ... except, for what people think various passages or doctrines mean. Ironically, you rarely hear Christians complaining that non-Christians are too narrow-minded or intolerant ... because non-believers do not have a consistent or reliable standard from which to draw such a conclusion.

If those who persistently attack Christians for being narrow-minded or intolerant would simply adhere to a consistent standard; ... OR separate what the Bible actually says from ... 'what they have heard the Bible says' or their perception of what "all Christians, church-people and 'fundies' think and say" .... they might stop confusing 'open-mindedness' with 'compromised truth.'

Old 07-06-2012, 05:43 PM

30,167 posts, read 19,971,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Sorry, but Jesus did the same thing and was not 'open minded' at all about false doctrine. Further, He was not crucified for 'lovingly' accepting everything anyone had to say about God or God's truth.

We have the inspired Word of God ---God's Word is true and not really subject to debate ... except, for what people think various passages or doctrines mean. Ironically, you rarely hear Christians complaining that non-Christians are too narrow-minded or intolerant ... because non-believers do not have a consistent or reliable standard from which to draw such a conclusion.

If those who persistently attack Christians for being narrow-minded or intolerant would simply adhere to a consistent standard; ... OR separate what the Bible actually says from ... 'what they have heard the Bible says' or their perception of what "all Christians, church-people and 'fundies' think and say" .... they might stop confusing 'open-mindedness' with 'compromised truth.'
True Jesus was not open minded about false doctrine, he tore apart the doctrines of the hierarchy founded upon hypocrisy.

Compromised truth is nothing other than forgetting what you are apart fom the grace of God yourself , and the evidence that you have forgotten is you talk more about sin than the grace that over abounds over it.

Whatever is not of faith is sin. I say to you who are always harping on about sin, are you living your whole life by faith, if you are not, you are living in sin, for the righteous live by faith......... Faith is not saying I believe in Jesus and the bible.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 PM

4,636 posts, read 3,730,638 times
Sorry, jg
Are you certain that having the "truth", as you interpret it, forced on everyone is far better than allowing them to each find it more meaningfully themselves? I think the OP mentioned how the Christian movement declared the "truth" based on the council of Nicea in 325, there is some validity to what he said. Perhaps we should go back and review the socio-political interests and inspitations of the time to see how this "truth" was identified, and then look what it has done to Christianity today .......
Christianity fails when people try to make it a "one size fits all " religion. People need to discover the truth for themselves and if it does not agree with what you like or believe, so what ?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:06 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,877,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
People need to discover the truth for themselves and if it does not agree with what you like or believe, so what ?
Depends on how far your run with that line of thought. To some degree you are correct, but let us not forget that bad theology ruins peoples lives.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:56 PM

17,698 posts, read 8,870,974 times

It becomes their way, no way or the highway.
As their path to understanding is blocked.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or