Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:20 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

Coming to God due to the threat of an eternal hell is a kind of fire insurance for many people, who seem to be lacking in the realization of the agaple love of God which never fails. God bless and peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 04:34 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times
I agree with you completely OP.

The only problem (which is not your problem, nor any relation to your post) is that some believers would choose to take the pendulum swung completely - where Jesus is a big teddy bear we hug before we sleep at night no matter what we did, and He hugs us back.

The problem with "Love" is too many people don't know what it means. They think Love is an emotion or a feeling when it is an action. Too many "Christians" believe Love is smiling when just as often it is conviction and telling someone something they don't want to hear. The wise love correction/rebuke, and the fool hates it (Proverbs).

But I digress. There is no place for "you're going to hell!" street-corner serenades.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM

238 posts, read 270,545 times

"This Was Your Life" by Chick Tracts was an enormously successful tract in Bulgaria
according to some personal Christian friends who had nothing to gain by lying about it.
As I recall, it's main theme was the threat of Hell, if one wasn't in God's good graces.

I've worked with several people who exhibited more love that most Christians,
and they were not believers as far as I know (and they knew I was).

Nah, you and your pastor are wrong.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
What would Jesus do? In his street preaching he says the following:

Mark 9:43-45

43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Does warnings like this get people to think a little bit about the reality of Hell saving souls?

great big allegory? I guess we'll see won't we?

Isaiah 66

23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.

24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:02 PM

77 posts, read 74,616 times
Hell isn't a fiery place that people go to when they died, it's a grave, and that's it. Why do people say "repent to Jesus", Jesus isn't the father, Jehovah is, so, you guys should pray to JEHOVAH and ask him for forgiveness.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:36 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell93 View Post
Hell isn't a fiery place that people go to when they died, it's a grave, and that's it. Why do people say "repent to Jesus", Jesus isn't the father, Jehovah is, so, you guys should pray to JEHOVAH and ask him for forgiveness.
We do because the scriptures testify that Jesus is Jehovah. Jesus forgave sins .. something that only God alone can do.
Jeremiah 31:34
...declares the LORD. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”

Acts 10:43
All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
The OT prophets witnessed about Jehovah
2 Samuel 22:2-3
He said: “The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.

2 Samuel 22:32
For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God?

2 Samuel 22:47
The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior!
2 Samuel 23:3
The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me:

Habakkuk 1:12
O LORD, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, we will not die. O LORD, you have appointed them to execute judgment; O Rock, you have ordained them to punish.

And this is Paul's witness of Christ:
1 Corinthians 10:3-5
They all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Can you show me where Jesus refered to God as "Jehovah" ?
  • Can you tell me where was Jehovah's organization between the time of the apostles and the time of your founder, Charles Russell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity