Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:13 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,046 times

Advertisements

The first covenant was "The Book of The Covenant" made at Mt Sanai. (Horeb).

The second covenant was "The Book of the Law" made fourty years later before crossing the Jordan at Moab.

When we read the events concerning the Covenants Yahweh made with the Israelites in Exodus and Deuteronomy it can be confusing because the events are not listed in chronological order. The following is a list of those events in order of time:

1. Yahweh made the original covenant (The Ten Commandments) with Israel on Mt. Sanai.

2. This covenant was written in the "Book Of The Covenant" at Horeb and ratified by blood. (Exodus 24:7).

3. While Moses was on the mountain receiving the Ten Commandments the Israelites broke the original covenant and God was going to destroy them.

4. Moses pleaded for their life and Yahweh repented and renewed the covenant with them.

5. Yahweh tested them for fourty years in the wilderness.

6. Just before the people entered the promised land at Moeb, Yahweh made another covenant with the surviving Israelites and this was written in "The Book Of The Law" and placed on the side of the ark.

The "Book Of The Law" was far different from the "Book Of The Covenant" - it (The Book Of The Law) was very severe and included the curses and food laws. It was intended as a discipline and a chastisement for Israel to keep them separate from the other nations. The "Book Of The Law" was called, "A witness against thee".>>> See Leviticus 20:24-25, and Deuteronomy 31:26.

God Bless you.

In Christ,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:44 PM

661 posts, read 622,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
The first covenant was "The Book of The Covenant" made at Mt Sanai. (Horeb).

The second covenant was "The Book of the Law" made fourty years later before crossing the Jordan at Moab.

When we read the events concerning the Covenants Yahweh made with the Israelites in Exodus and Deuteronomy it can be confusing because the events are not listed in chronological order. The following is a list of those events in order of time:

1. Yahweh made the original covenant (The Ten Commandments) with Israel on Mt. Sanai.

2. This covenant was written in the "Book Of The Covenant" at Horeb and ratified by blood. (Exodus 24:7).

3. While Moses was on the mountain receiving the Ten Commandments the Israelites broke the original covenant and God was going to destroy them.

4. Moses pleaded for their life and Yahweh repented and renewed the covenant with them.

5. Yahweh tested them for fourty years in the wilderness.

6. Just before the people entered the promised land at Moeb, Yahweh made another covenant with the surviving Israelites and this was written in "The Book Of The Law" and placed on the side of the ark.

The "Book Of The Law" was far different from the "Book Of The Covenant" - it (The Book Of The Law) was very severe and included the curses and food laws. It was intended as a discipline and a chastisement for Israel to keep them separate from the other nations. The "Book Of The Law" was called, "A witness against thee".>>> See Leviticus 20:24-25, and Deuteronomy 31:26.

God Bless you.

In Christ,
Verna.
Thank you for sharing, Verna.

How do we know about the 40 year "gap" between the covenants? Also, what is the application of this information to our lives, in your opinion? And lastly, what was involved in God's covenant with Abraham, before the 10 commandments were given at Sinai?

God bless you.

Steph

Old 03-18-2012, 05:17 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Actually in Genesis 9: 8-17 ``God establishes a covenant between Himself and the earth and every living creature of all flesh, and the waters will no more become a flood to destroy all flesh and a bow in the cloud is a token of the covenant``..................Then in Genesis 17: 14-22...God said to Abraham ``I will establish my covenant between me and your seed after in their generation for a everlasting covenant to be a God to you and to your seed after you``....means by this Lord Jesus will come.... then in Genesis 17 :19 ...God said ``Sarah your wife will bear a son indeed and you will call his name Isaac and I will establish my covenant with him an everlasting covenant, and with His seed after him``.... then God seals the covenant with the house of Abraham and Isaac in Genesis 22 : 1-19.. were God proves Abraham's faith and takes Isaac to be sacrificed where God stops the sacrifice and said in Verse 18..``And in your seed will all be blessed because you have obeyed my voice``.... Then in Genesis 35: 9-12... God re-establishes His covenant with Jacob...``Your name will not be call any more Jacob, but Israel will be your name , and he called his name Israel...God said I am God Almighty, be fruitful and multiply, a nation will be of you and Kings come from you..and the land I gave Abraham and Isaac, to you I will give it and to your seed after you will I give the land``....... So then Israel (Jacob] set up a pillar of stone and has a drink offering there to verify the covenant to the Lord ..... Much Like the drink offering in Jesus covenant love meal for the remembrance of Jesus of our communion of the Lord in Jesus churches.....

Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
Thank you for sharing, Verna.

How do we know about the 40 year "gap" between the covenants? Also, what is the application of this information to our lives, in your opinion? And lastly, what was involved in God's covenant with Abraham, before the 10 commandments were given at Sinai?

God bless you.

Steph
Good afternoon my friend .

The second covenant was given when they crossed the Jordan - after wandering 40 years.

The application - God makes covenants and those who break them are destroyed.

Abraham? The question is neither specific nor relavant as the 10 commandments apply to the children of God.

Why is this important?

There were TWO covenants made with Israel - the original was the Ten Commandments and was recorded in the book of the covenant at Mt. Sinai (Horeb). This covenant was broken by Israel when they made the golden calf, but was restored after Moses pleaded with God for mercy for Israel.

The second was made in Moab forty years later and included the 613 commandments, judgments, ordinances and statutes of the Mosaic law designed to keep their minds on obedience to Yahweh's law. This second covenant was the "yoke of bondage†and was recorded in the book of the law at Moab

That is what Paul meant when he said: "Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions" The Mosaic book of the law was added to the original covenant (the book of the covenant) because of Israel's transgressions in the wilderness.

When we understand the chronology and the events concerning the covenants we can also understand this perplexing passage in Ezekiel about Israel’s rebellion in the wilderness:

Eze 20:13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Ezekiel 20:25 Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live; (Moab)

These “statutes and judgments†refer to the punitive law and the curses of the second covenant contained in the book of the law. Compare the verse in Ezekiel with this statement in Nehemiah about the original book of the covenant with true laws and good statutes…

Nehemiah 9:13 Thou camest down also upon mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments: (Horeb)

* Ezekiel (“…statutes that were not goodâ€) refers to the curses of the *second* covenant made with Israel at MOAB (the book of the law).

* Nehemiah (“…good statutes and commandmentsâ€) refers to the *original* covenant Yahweh made with Israel at HOREB (the book of the covenant)

Love you Steph, God Bless you...
Verna.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 PM

661 posts, read 622,056 times
Quote:
Good afternoon my friend .

The second covenant was given when they crossed the Jordan - after wandering 40 years.

Abraham? The question is neither specific nor relavant as the 10 commandments apply to the children of God.

Why is this important?

There were TWO covenants made with Israel - the original was the Ten Commandments and was recorded in the book of the covenant at Mt. Sinai (Horeb). This covenant was broken by Israel when they made the golden calf, but was restored after Moses pleaded with God for mercy for Israel.

The second was made in Moab forty years later and included the 613 commandments, judgments, ordinances and statutes of the Mosaic law designed to keep their minds on obedience to Yahweh's law. This second covenant was the "yoke of bondage†and was recorded in the book of the law at Moab

That is what Paul meant when he said: "Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions" The Mosaic book of the law was added to the original covenant (the book of the covenant) because of Israel's transgressions in the wilderness.

When we understand the chronology and the events concerning the covenants we can also understand this perplexing passage in Ezekiel about Israel’s rebellion in the wilderness:

Eze 20:13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Ezekiel 20:25 Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live; (Moab)

These “statutes and judgments†refer to the punitive law and the curses of the second covenant contained in the book of the law. Compare the verse in Ezekiel with this statement in Nehemiah about the original book of the covenant with true laws and good statutes…

Nehemiah 9:13 Thou camest down also upon mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments: (Horeb)

* Ezekiel (“…statutes that were not goodâ€) refers to the curses of the *second* covenant made with Israel at MOAB (the book of the law).

* Nehemiah (“…good statutes and commandmentsâ€) refers to the *original* covenant Yahweh made with Israel at HOREB (the book of the covenant)

Love you Steph, God Bless you...
Verna.
Thank you Verna.. Love you too my sister and friend.

Steph

Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
Thank you Verna.. Love you too my sister and friend.

Steph
...this is so very precious to me . Thank you from my heart.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Of the Jews, one never, ever makes an agreement with another and then breaks it, both partys are required to fulfill the agreement (covenant)...I think it was in a Rabbinic article that I read that of the Ten, 5 are man's obligations to Yehovaw Elohim Hawyaw and 5 are man's obligations to his fellow man...

Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Of the Jews, one never, ever makes an agreement with another and then breaks it, both partys are required to fulfill the agreement (covenant)...I think it was in a Rabbinic article that I read that of the Ten, 5 are man's obligations to Yehovaw Elohim Hawyaw and 5 are man's obligations to his fellow man...
Yes brother...I agree...but isn't it out of the Ten, the first 4 are man's obligations to Yahweh, and the following 6 are man's obligations to his fellow man?

Blessings to you dear brother.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:16 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Yes brother...I agree...but isn't it out of the Ten, the first 4 are man's obligations to Yahweh, and the following 6 are man's obligations to his fellow man?

Blessings to you dear brother.
4 and 6...I vaguely remember that...

Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
4 and 6...I vaguely remember that...
...Very good... God Bless you brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity