U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 02:34 PM

292 posts, read 860,690 times

Advertisements

There are always people your wanting to have a quick word with at church. This last Sunday I wanted to talk to a gal but she was talking with someone else. I didn't want to interupt.(I did interupt admittingly)
THEN I was talking with someone else and had just started when a man came up and basically booted me out of the conversation.
I am praying for the mannerly way to do this. (talking to people after or before church probably isn't the best time but if you don't have their information makes it hard)
Maybe need to get their info.
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 05:17 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,587,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralgalnebraska View Post
..<snip>..was talking with someone else and had just started when a man came up and basically booted me out of the conversation.
Generally, I think just apply the rules of good manners and "do unto others as you wish they do unto you.."

As for what happened with that man...I think it is perfectly acceptable, *immediately* after he interrupted, to break in and say something like "Oh do please let me finish my conversation...we'll be through here in a while" and then if you can turn your back on him and stand between him and your friend. This isn't always possible, I know. But turn your attention back to your friend and quickly say "as I was saying...."

Honestly, he was quite rude where's Miss Manners when you need her? I'm quite certain it's not considered bad manners to 'hold your own' in a conversation when someone else is barging in.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:31 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,507,586 times
Patience, if you have the time, is always the most mannerly thing to do.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:14 PM

13,574 posts, read 21,726,369 times
Rural, I know exactly what you mean..If my husband happens to come by
while I am in conversation, he always interrupts me and starts talking to the person, sometimes he even steps in front of me..It really makes me feel like someone just stamped "invalidated" across my face

Old 09-30-2007, 11:28 PM

329 posts, read 1,334,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Patience, if you have the time, is always the most mannerly thing to do.
Wholeheartedly agree. Standing a few feet off and just waiting...patiently. As for your conversation being hijacked, I might have said "excuse me, brother can you give us a minute" ? Or how about "I can see he is in a hurry, may I call you"? (Then you will get the phone number for the future).

Old 10-01-2007, 06:26 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,507,747 times
All of these are good answers, but what I do to keep from getting overwhelmed after service. I try to scan the people that I need to speak to, right after Amen" to see what direction they're headed ,so I can hopefully get to them before someone else beat me to it, and start monopolizing their social (fellowship) time. If this doesn't seem to work. I'll immediately proceed outside on the church grounds and wait a few, it usually works; or catch them as they are going to the car, getting in the car, or cranking up the car. it may seem pushy or., but I always keep smiling,manage to wrap my words to keep their attention for at least a minute. That's usually all it takes. If I'm engaged in conversation and someone butts in, or tries to hijack; I use my" think quick techniques" ie: " Oh! how are you doing?....sure was a blessed service....blah blah,..". If this fails and they're rude which I should hope not. I'll have to go in my "bag of tricks" and come up with another line, to allow time to at least let the person know to call me; (to incl. having a calling card handy, or my info on something)..........I go through this all the time. some times I'll wait to talk to them at Bible study a couple of days later. Am I trying to manipulate people? I wouldn't think not.. But you have to do what works to keep from being rude yourself. I do all of this with love and tact" (smiles)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or