Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 12:00 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
For agreeing with you
For thinking you know something when your own words prove otherwise.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Great posts sparrow, Pleroo, and pcamps.

To argue that love cannot be forced is IMHO to misunderstand what love is. Love is not just an ooey-gooey feeling. Love is an action.

Love is being patient. Love is being kind. Love is protecting. Love is enduring and waiting.
So if God is patient with us, kind to us, and even ultimately protects us... is God "forcing" love on us?

Love is sacrifice for another. God demonstrated that with the sacrifice of His son for all mankind. Does that mean God "forced" his love on all mankind?

NO it means He showed and demonstrated His love for all mankind. God loved all mankind.

You don't force love. You just do it. That's not to say love is not a force - in the sense that it is a force that draws and attracts people.

So the whole argument about "forcing" love is misplaced.
I didn't think Finn was saying that URists believe God is forcing his love on us, but rather that we believe God will force everyone to love/worship God. That's what I was responding to.

But I agree, love is action and quality of spirit.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
'Love me or burn forever' is not love. It is a threat, blackmail, coercion - the ultimate aim of a petty tyrant or dictator - a mafia 'god-father' style offer-you-can't-refuse.
Sin and reject God, and be saved, is not love either. It is a lie, deception, betrayal and a satanic conspiracy.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:06 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
'Love me or burn forever' is not love. It is a threat, blackmail, coercion - the ultimate aim of a petty tyrant or dictator - a mafia 'god-father' style offer-you-can't-refuse.

The reason people do refuse it is because they reject the absurdity of it.
The reason people accept this type of offer is out of fear.

Fear is the beginning of wisdom, but not the end.
Love is the end, and drives out all fear.
When you reach that end - which is love - you will realize the offer was never 'Love me or burn forever'.

Nicely said.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You may be surprised to hear this, but some people reject everything about God, and it has nothing to do with ET. It is not ET they reject, it is the love and eternal life they reject.
They reject God because they cannot see.

You didn't acknowledge/see the scripture pcamps posted yet.

John 12:40 "He has blinded their eyes and deadened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn--and I would heal them."

Romans 11:8 “God gave them a spirit of stupor,
eyes so that they could not see
and ears so that they could not hear,
to this very day.

Do you think that has something to do with why people reject God?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I didn't think Finn was saying that URists believe God is forcing his love on us, but rather that we believe God will force everyone to love/worship God. That's what I was responding to.
I see what you are saying.
But the response would be: it is God who works in us to change us. God changed Saul into Paul in an instant, and perhaps over the next 15 years of Paul's life.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:08 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
For thinking you know something when your own words prove otherwise.
Finn I said 20 years ago If this board existed I would be repping you and slapping your back. For i would have at that time been in much agreement with what you believe . So why would you have told me I don't know what I am talking about, if I was in agreement with you ?

Do you actually believe that I was a former ET'er ?.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:09 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
I wonder why God never told Adam and Eve about eternal torment? Or the first murderer Cain? He never once told the antediluvians. He never told Noah to preach hell fire and damnation to those poor souls.

After the flood God never told the new world people about hell. Never told any of the patriarchs. Never told David to tell the people or Samuel. None of the prophets were given an understanding there was a hell for any of the bad people.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Sin and reject God, and be saved, is not love either.
You are confused. Christ came to save sinners who had already rejected God. That is His love. He died for all people. Already done. He died to save all people and take away all sin.

It is easy for God to turn someone so they no longer reject Him. Witness Saul's conversion to Paul. Did you know he (Saul/Paul) called himself the 'chief of sinners'? Saul was on his way to kill more followers of Christ when he was turned by God in an instant. So God loved Saul/Paul - the self-proclaimed chief of sinners.

That is love. God sacrificed His own son to save people who rejected God.

Quote:
It is a lie, deception, betrayal and a satanic conspiracy.
No, you just don't understand the power of God.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I said we (people) cannot be forced to love God, or anything else. I suppose allmightly God could force us to do things, but then it would no be love, as true love is voluntary. Using Lego's words it would be coercion - the ultimate aim of a petty tyrant or dictator - a mafia 'god-father' style. Nero ordererd everyone to worship him, but did manage to get people to love him? No. Our God will never force us to do that. He wants us to do it out of our own free will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity