U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 PM
 
951 posts, read 801,720 times
Reputation: 74

Advertisements

"How many roads must a man walk down before they call him a man?"

The songwriter gave no precise answer.

But a more important question:

"How many roads must a man walk down before they call him a God, a member of the Kingdom of God?"

The answer is one. The same road Jesus Christ traveled which is a hard and strait path but in the end you will have eternal life.

But it is definitely not the road that many false churches would have you travel.

Christ said if you would enter into life, keep the Commandments and He listed a few of what are known as the 10 Commandments. These false churches don't teach that today. They claim that Christ either kept the Commandments in your stead or that the Law has been done away with altogether with no reason for you to obey.

That is not the road that Jesus Christ traveled. He kept His Father's Commandments and we are to walk in His steps doing the same.

The full explanation of this road is not blowing in the wind but can be found in the pages of God's Word -- the Holy Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,610 posts, read 3,972,149 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
"How many roads must a man walk down before they call him a man?"

The songwriter gave no precise answer.
That's because the songwriter wanted us to find the answer for ourselves.

He later found his own answer and expressed his feelings in this beautiful song (as sung by Emmylou):


Emmylou Harris - Every Grain Of Sand - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM
 
15,083 posts, read 7,583,539 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That's because the songwriter wanted us to find the answer for ourselves.

He later found his own answer and expressed his feelings in this beautiful song (as sung by Emmylou):


I've never heard that song before. Thanks for posting.

"...I hear the ancient footsteps like
the motion of the sea
Sometimes I turn, there's someone there,
other times it's only me.
I am hanging in the balance
of the reality of man
Like every sparrow falling,
like every grain of sand."



And not a sparrow nor a human being is ever forgotten by God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
 
Location: In God's Hand
1,315 posts, read 1,532,460 times
Reputation: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
"How many roads must a man walk down before they call him a man?"

The songwriter gave no precise answer.

But a more important question:

"How many roads must a man walk down before they call him a God, a member of the Kingdom of God?"

The answer is one. The same road Jesus Christ traveled which is a hard and strait path but in the end you will have eternal life.
What Bible version are you reading from? May I suggest reading the authorized King James Bible if you want the truths in God's words?

The reason being is that you will not find that plain teaching from Jesus about how we as man can become God. Nor will you find any such teaching in the epistles. Instead, you will find that Jesus had always been God.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. ....46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

So what did Moses write about Jesus? Read Genesis 18th chapter and Genesis 32:24-30 as Moses had written of the God that men had seen and yet Jesus had said this:

John 1:18No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

The Father testified that Jesus had seen God and yet to maintain that no man has seen God to be true, then Jesus is God before His incarnation.

John 4:46Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

Again, this testimony is about man not having seen God the Father except God Himself.

John 8: 23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.....54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: 55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. 57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

This is the mind of Christ we are to have:

John 1:1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.....14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Philippians 2: 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

So Jesus did not become God: He, as the Son of God, fulfilled His destiny as the Son fo Man.

Quote:
But it is definitely not the road that many false churches would have you travel.

Christ said if you would enter into life, keep the Commandments and He listed a few of what are known as the 10 Commandments. These false churches don't teach that today. They claim that Christ either kept the Commandments in your stead or that the Law has been done away with altogether with no reason for you to obey.

That is not the road that Jesus Christ traveled. He kept His Father's Commandments and we are to walk in His steps doing the same.
Explain how one receives the promise of the Holy Spirit, signifying that they are saved and yet in order to enter into life, one must keep all the commandments to achieve that end? Such an endeavor would never achieve that end result because you would be still required to keep all His commandments in order to receive the promise of the Holy Spirit in order to be saved.

So if one looks at John 14:15 where it leads into the promise of the Holy Spirit in verse 16-17, then you have to wonder how anyone can have that promise if Jesus was talking about everything He has taught. So if you go back up from verse 15 to find those commandments, you will see the one commandment repeated over again several times and that is to "believe Me".

John 14:1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.....6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

** Do note that Jesus did not say that His commandments are the way: but believing in Him is.

John 14: 9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father? 10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

So the commandments in John 14:15 was not about everything Jesus had taught but the commandments He had been stating over and over again in leading up to verse 15 to believe in Him.

That is why those that came to and believed in Jesus Christ had received the promise of the Holy Spirit by faith in being saved and not by the deeds of the law. They did not become God: they became His.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

1 Corinthians 3:21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are your's; 22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are your's; 23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

Now if men can become God by their efforts of keeping the commandments, how can anyone just glory in the Lord?

1 Corinthians 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Pride came before the fall so I doubt very much anyone can keep His commandments which are higher than the works of the law to achieve Godhood when man could not keep the commandments of the Old Covenant.

If this teaching of yours has come by way of another revelation: you should beware such teachings as a departure from the faith in Jesus Christ as it does declare rather a faith in man in being able to keep His commandments to achieve that which they could not have done in the Old Covenant. It is false.

John 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. 24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men, 25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

No matter how much the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak: therefore what is impossible with man , is possible with God. We cannot finish His workmanship in us by the flesh: only He can finish it. We are to have faith in the Son of God, placing our confidence in Him as He is our Good Shepherd as well as our Saviour in helping us to live the christian life by enabling us to continue in His words as kept by those that loved Him in the King James Bible.

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

That is why the just shall live by faith ... in the Son of God and all His promises to us so that we may know Him & the power of His resurrection since He dwells within us and is with us always. It is He that has saved us and not we ourselves: it is He that helps us to follow Him.

Trust is the basis for all relationships which is why children are free to come to Him as all they can do is trust the Lord at His Word.

Hebrews 4:1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world..... 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Working for one's salvation or to achieve Godhood by keeping His commandments would have Jesus had died in vain.

Galatians 2: 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. 17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. 18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Quote:
The full explanation of this road is not blowing in the wind but can be found in the pages of God's Word -- the Holy Bible.
Not all songs are scriptural, and certainly Micheal rowing the boat ashore hardly honours the Son as God in worship, but out of Christ's love for you, I would point you to the King James Bible for the meat of His words to discern good and evil among the teachings floating around in christianity.

So go before that throne of grace and ask Jesus for help in your walk with Him in being His disciple.

John 8: 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free....36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

It is His call to saved believers to discipleship by continuing in His words that keeps us free from deceitful doctrines of man to continue to rest in Him for eternal life as well as in Him to provide the love we need to love others as we ought to so as to be found abiding in Him as His disciples.

1 John 3: 22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

That mirrors this below:

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

So that is why Jesus Christ is the Good News to man. Our faith and hope is on Him to do it all.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

Psalm 100:3 Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,610 posts, read 3,972,149 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I've never heard that song before. Thanks for posting.

"...I hear the ancient footsteps like
the motion of the sea
Sometimes I turn, there's someone there,
other times it's only me.
I am hanging in the balance
of the reality of man
Like every sparrow falling,
like every grain of sand."


And not a sparrow nor a human being is ever forgotten by God.
I'm very glad you liked the song, Pleroo.

I knew all of the Bob Dylan songs in the 1960's, but I had never heard this one. I saw an article where they asked some musicians to name their favorite Dylan song, and I think Bono said, "Every Grain of Sand". I found it on Youtube, and I enjoy it more when I play it while reading the lyrics.

Of course, Emmylou makes any song sound beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,319 posts, read 20,050,950 times
Reputation: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
"How many roads must a man walk down before they call him a man?"

The songwriter gave no precise answer.

But a more important question:

"How many roads must a man walk down before they call him a God, a member of the Kingdom of God?"

The answer is one. The same road Jesus Christ traveled which is a hard and strait path but in the end you will have eternal life.

But it is definitely not the road that many false churches would have you travel.

Christ said if you would enter into life, keep the Commandments and He listed a few of what are known as the 10 Commandments. These false churches don't teach that today. They claim that Christ either kept the Commandments in your stead or that the Law has been done away with altogether with no reason for you to obey.

That is not the road that Jesus Christ traveled. He kept His Father's Commandments and we are to walk in His steps doing the same.

The full explanation of this road is not blowing in the wind but can be found in the pages of God's Word -- the Holy Bible.
Hey tthttf. I think you will discover that when all is said and done it is He that is doing the keeping.

You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you: because he trusts in you. Life is all about what we focus on, we become naturally what our mind is stayed upon. Isaiah 26:3

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Cor 3:18

Whatever we are steadfastly Beholding we are changed into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 12:33 PM
 
15,083 posts, read 7,583,539 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I'm very glad you liked the song, Pleroo.

I knew all of the Bob Dylan songs in the 1960's, but I had never heard this one. I saw an article where they asked some musicians to name their favorite Dylan song, and I think Bono said, "Every Grain of Sand". I found it on Youtube, and I enjoy it more when I play it while reading the lyrics.

Of course, Emmylou makes any song sound beautiful.


Your post has been my introduction to her, as well.
I'm generally not a fan of country music, but she does have a beautiful voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
 
951 posts, read 801,720 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Hey tthttf. I think you will discover that when all is said and done it is He that is doing the keeping.

You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you: because he trusts in you. Life is all about what we focus on, we become naturally what our mind is stayed upon. Isaiah 26:3

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Cor 3:18

Whatever we are steadfastly Beholding we are changed into.
The Bible teaches that if you are not being corrected for your errors by God then you are not one of His offspring (yet).

If you are not being corrected for breaking God's Commandments then you are serving the god of this world -- Satan the Devil. This doesn't sound nice but that's the way it is.

That is to the point answer and I mean no viciousness or evil intent. But Truth is Truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,319 posts, read 20,050,950 times
Reputation: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
The Bible teaches that if you are not being corrected for your errors by God then you are not one of His offspring (yet).

If you are not being corrected for breaking God's Commandments then you are serving the god of this world -- Satan the Devil. This doesn't sound nice but that's the way it is.

That is to the point answer and I mean no viciousness or evil intent. But Truth is Truth.
So what is it you disagree with what I posted ?. I used scripture to make a point,here you are making a point without scripture. Sorry to say but it sounds more like a rant.

Do you deny we are Kept by Him when our minds are stayed upon him ?

Do you reject that we become what we steadfastly behold ?.

Blessed is the man whose delight is the law of the Lord and who beholds it day and night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
 
951 posts, read 801,720 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So what is it you disagree with what I posted ?. I used scripture to make a point,here you are making a point without scripture. Sorry to say but it sounds more like a rant.

Do you deny we are Kept by Him when our minds are stayed upon him ?

Do you reject that we become what we steadfastly behold ?.

Blessed is the man whose delight is the law of the Lord and who beholds it day and night.
I didn't quote scripture but if you know the scriptures then you know what I posted was correct.

You cannot gain eternal life without God's Holy Spirit.

You cannot receive God's Holy Spirit unless you obey God (repent of breaking His Commandments).

The mind you claim to have on God must be a converted mind who will not disobey God. You have to have God's Holy Spirit to keep the Commandments and you have to repent and try to obey God before He will give you His Holy Spirit. You can't spiritualize away the requirement of obedience to God. You are just deceiving yourself if you think you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top