Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

The fears of the future and the regrets of the past do rob us of the joys of this day. Do you not agree? If we live in the moment we can have joy. If we let our fears of what may never come to pass (the future) or what mistakes we made in times past control the joy of today rule our life we lose all hope of happiness-experiencing what the Lord has for us in this life. Something I need to learn. Today is good. I made mistakes in the past and tomorrow holds all kinds of imagined fears which will never come to pass. If I focus on today then what?

People much wiser than I say that one aspect of Heaven is that it is a place where we exist in a constant present. Past and future are not relevant. Such things do not exist.

This thought is posted on more than one forum. Not as spam, but needing to be looked at from different aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 01:09 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Have you read "The Power of Now" by Ekarte Tolle? It's one of my favorite books, especially on audio. The main point of this book is to discuss how powerful our minds are and how destructive the "ego-ic" mind is to the present moment. I was amazed by the truths brought forth in this book - things that I knew were true, but had never really been able to put my finger on. And even knowing these truths, the battle continues each and every day because the mind and the ego want to escape the present moment, mostly because of the innate fear of death and our predisposition towards discontentment.

Amazon.com: The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment (9781577314806): Eckhart Tolle: Books

Old 07-19-2012, 02:43 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The fears of the future and the regrets of the past do rob us of the joys of this day. Do you not agree? If we live in the moment we can have joy. If we let our fears of what may never come to pass (the future) or what mistakes we made in times past control the joy of today rule our life we lose all hope of happiness-experiencing what the Lord has for us in this life. Something I need to learn. Today is good. I made mistakes in the past and tomorrow holds all kinds of imagined fears which will never come to pass. If I focus on today then what?

People much wiser than I say that one aspect of Heaven is that it is a place where we exist in a constant present. Past and future are not relevant. Such things do not exist.

This thought is posted on more than one forum. Not as spam, but needing to be looked at from different aspects.
I agree... but we are subject to our experiences good and bad... It is not always easy to look at the future through the eyes of our experience and not have some concerns. This all happens in the moment we are living in. I think the thing is to have balance. We cannot just live in the moment at the expense of ignoring our past lessons, nor can we sail into our future w/o questions. This is where our faith comes in. It allows us to see past everything and have the peace of God that transcends all understanding. (in my opinion)

Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
I agree.
I can't change our past and trust in God that he does not remember my sin when he forgives those who ask.

I don't know what the future holds in store.. but I trust that God only knows and does what is best for me and for the invisable true Christian Church.

That leaves then today... since the past is past and tommorow has it's own time .... then today is a present for it's a gift from God

Old 07-19-2012, 03:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
To the OP. Very astute observation. Too many trust in their past good works to save them; They don't. Too many think that their past condemns them: It does, but it doesn't have to as Jesus Christ has paid for all sins and will gladly forgive them today. Too many live in fear of the future. No need to as those who have faith in Jesus need not fear anything; By faith in Him they are righteous and part of God's kingdom. God will be with them and provide and protect them as long as they live by faith in Jesus. The Israelites wandered in the desert for 40 years, going to bed every night without anything to eat in the morning. They learned to live by faith in God, that he would continue to be with them and provide all their needs. Christians today need to learn the same, and give thanks to our Good and Gracious God.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
"Fear is not of the Lord, but, the Spirit of power, love and a sound mind"

Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 PM

481 posts, read 865,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I agree.
I can't change our past and trust in God that he does not remember my sin when he forgives those who ask.

I don't know what the future holds in store.. but I trust that God only knows and does what is best for me and for the invisable true Christian Church.

That leaves then today... since the past is past and tommorow has it's own time .... then today is a present for it's a gift from God
Yes, we only need to worry about today within ourselves and if we are right with God our Father. We must be focused on Him on a daily basis, and not worrying about this tomorrow or the day past. The past is the past and is a another day gone to pass, and the future is just that, the future. The present is now and that is where your concern should be.

It is written.... "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6:34)

Old 07-22-2012, 03:58 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Many people in other religions outside of Christianity have grievances about the injustices against Christianity by the tragic history of false understanding and will never forget these injustices....And will avoid becoming a Christian because of it and will miss the true plan of God for their lives .......When Jesus forgives the past of a convert or Believers who repent , It never happened in the memory of Jesus and it is a must never to talk about the error again as it never happen ..... But sure we need to learn from our mistakes, but we must never dwell in them endlessly, forgetting that Jesus forgave these errors

Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

I've spent most of my adult life preparing for the future postponing life and it's joys for "tomorrow". It don't look like "tomorrow" will ever happen though. Life is not a linear progression but we plan for it like it is. Looking back, I missed a lot of todays. Postponing relationships, etc.. The most valuable resource we are given is time. Moments lost are lost for ever. There's no more precious time than the present.

"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." - Albert Einstein

Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I've spent most of my adult life preparing for the future postponing life and it's joys for "tomorrow". It don't look like "tomorrow" will ever happen though. Life is not a linear progression but we plan for it like it is. Looking back, I missed a lot of todays. Postponing relationships, etc.. The most valuable resource we are given is time. Moments lost are lost for ever. There's no more precious time than the present.

"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." - Albert Einstein
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity