Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe gaining members isn't their primary goal.
What is their primary goal, in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 04:02 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What is their primary goal, in your opinion?
To do what they believe is the right thing; to open their hearts and treat others as they believe Jesus wants them to treat others.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
To do what they believe is the right thing; to open their hearts and treat others as they believe Jesus wants them to treat others.
I really like the bolded.

You know, I believe we can find how Jesus reacted to those caught in sexual sin. The prostitute, the woman at the well. When I read those passages, I see "love the sinner, hate the sin".

Thoughts?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:26 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Default Why is the Episcopal Church near collapse?

Why is the Episcopal Church near collapse? - Beliefnet.com

When you ordaine women priests who call Jesus their sister and God their mother then you are in trouble. Many of their priests are coming into the Catholic church now.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I really like the bolded.

You know, I believe we can find how Jesus reacted to those caught in sexual sin. The prostitute, the woman at the well. When I read those passages, I see "love the sinner, hate the sin".

Thoughts?
Reading gospel passages makes you see Mahatma Gandhi quotes? Interesting. ; )

I see no hate in Jesus at all.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Reading gospel passages makes you see Mahatma Gandhi quotes? Interesting. ; )

I see no hate in Jesus at all.
Well, I disagree. I believe God hates sin. That's why Jesus had to die.

What do you believe Jesus' attitude is/was towards sin?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Well, I disagree. I believe God hates sin. That's why Jesus had to die.

What do you believe Jesus' attitude is/was towards sin?
Funny question! I think he was against it...

Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM

69 posts, read 110,995 times
No Christian who is actively serving God does such things. Only sinners and backsliders would commit such sin.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why is the Episcopal Church near collapse? - Beliefnet.com

When you ordain women priests who call Jesus their sister and God their mother then you are in trouble.
Interesting article.

Most women priests I know do not call Jesus their sister, lol. Unfortunately, this one (Jefferts) is reveling in her high position to show the world exactly what happens when an organization starts concerning itself with self-pride and centers its mission on trying to hold on to real estate, and frankly, she sounds like she's not all there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Many of their priests are coming into the Catholic church now.
That's funny, because my priest is a former Catholic priest. The priest in my old church was also a former Catholic, though not as a priest. A lot of former Catholic laity are drawn toward the Episcopal church after rejection because they still love the Eucharist and the traditional form of worship.

If the Episcopal Church hierarchy as it has become collapses, I certainly won't cry. Christianity is not supposed to be about acquisition and property and building up one's own platform. "The love of money..." well, you know the rest.

IMO, the gay thing is what everyone focuses on because it appeals to the ick factor in many heterosexuals, but it's not really the biggest problem the Episcopal Church has.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:31 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4DL View Post
No Christian who is actively serving God does such things. Only sinners and backsliders would commit such sin.
Are you talking about being homosexual, or performing same-sex marriages/blessings? Because I don't recall anything biblical saying the latter is a sin.

I still think that a church should really ask themselves just what they're trying to accomplish. To the extent that it's God's job to save people and enlighten them (not yours), wouldn't it be a good idea to keep them as members of the church and let him work? Do you think they're likely to remain in church if they can't find one that approves of their marriage? Do you think they're as likely to remain believers if they can't find a church they feel comfortable in?

Is it your opinion that homosexuality is a choice which can be encouraged/discouraged into existence in every case? And what do you think "saves" a person, their behaviors (including refraining from homosexual acts) or their beliefs and the professing of them? All of this should come into play, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity