U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:50 PM

3,540 posts, read 4,248,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiah123 View Post
I've always been really happy giving a baptism record for girls or boys from ivyrose gifts www.ivyrosegifts.com/chrisrec.html . They can be kept forever as a keepsake.
Hey. If they didn't get the gift by now, it's probably a mute point.

It's been three years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:21 PM

5,685 posts, read 2,883,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I need some help please. My 8 year old daughter is getting baptized in a few weeks and I'm not sure what is an appropriate gift to give her. I want to give her something very special and just have no idea as of yet. She already has a Bible so we're covered in that area. Any suggestions would be super helpful!!
Hoosier, please understand that I want also what is best for your 8 year old daughter for what I'm about to say and I hope you take it constructively.

About Baptism. Let's both agree that the Father in Heaven (God) is Spiritual and desires a Spiritual following. When Jesus was baptized with physical/literal water it was ONLY a TYPE of the REAL baptism which is to be submerged into the Spiritual Water which is the Holy Spirit.

When I was searching this subject out some years ago, I felt very compelled to the fact that I must find someone ordained to submerged me in a pool/lake/body of water that I might be fulfilling the requirements to be baptized. I then pondered the subject deeply and God showed me where I was erroring in my knowledge by giving me a better knowledge on this subject. What God showed me was that I was focusing on the TYPE and not what the TYPE was to teach me of. I later would learn how significant this new knowledge was. I learned that the Pharisees were in ERROR for this same perspective of God's Word. They believed the LETTER (which was a type) represented the very divine nature of God. Please let me give you a sample of what I'm trying to convey.

Take the Speed Limits (laws governing speed limits):

At some point the need arose to "reduce injury and death on the roadways". We could call that the Spirit of Speed limit law. Now to give us a way to understand this we could say that the Letter of that law is to "obey established speed limits". Let's recap:

Spirit = "reduce injury and death on the roadways"
Letter = "obey established speed limits"

Hopefully you can see that the type (Letter) is trying to be our schoolmaster and teach us of the Spirit (reduce injury and death on the roadways).

Now consider what happens if we view the LETTER (type) AS the Law. Consider your driving on the highway and a tire comes off a truck and starts rolling down the highway towards you. You know that if you suddenly stop, the person behind you will possibly hit your car. So you realize that if you speed up quickly you could let the tire roll between your car and the one following you. So you DO just that and speed up and BREAK the LETTER (you broke the letter which was to "obey established speed limits") of the Law.

Now, you broke the TYPE (Letter) of the law but what did you also do? - You KEPT the Spirit of the Law which was to "reduce injury and death on the roadways". So to be punished under the LETTER of the Law in this case would result in INJUSTICE. Because it is only a type meant to teach us of the Spiritual law. But if someone were to have mercy on on you knowing that you abode in the Spirit in this case then they would be JUST.

This is EXACTLY how Jesus was able to violate the LETTER of the Law but UPHOLD the Spirit of the Law.

Now, you may be wondering, what does all this have to do with baptism and the fact is that WATER baptism in PHYSICAL/LITERAL water is only to be a TYPE of the real PURE water which is the Holy Spirit.

So please do not make the mistake of letter your daughter think that what is a TYPE IS the Requirement of God. For it is only to serve as a schoolmaster.

I hope this helps. I would love for your daughter to be baptized even in physical/literal water to serve as a type so long as she understand that it is insignicant but to serve as an instrument of instruction and not an ordained requirement for our Lord is Spiritual and not served by physical and earthly tasks.

Paul

Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 PM

8,002 posts, read 13,195,945 times
^^ Good grief, three years ago buddy, and what the heck does this have to do with an appropriate gift
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity