Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 PM

16,672 posts, read 15,668,595 times

Advertisements

I think Chick-Fil-A, as a company, or on behalf of the owner, has a right to take whatever position it wants to take.

I also support the rights of citizens to boycott or protest something with which they strongly disagree. (That might have a negative affect on the company.)

Old 07-28-2012, 08:43 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Anyone really surprised that a sin-based business gives money to hate groups?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:03 AM

175 posts, read 174,730 times

From mensaguy

Quote:
I also support the rights of citizens to boycott or protest something with which they strongly disagree. (That might have a negative affect on the company.)
The president of the popular fast food chain Chick-fil-A has ignited a social media firestorm after saying his company opposes gay marriage.

“Guilty as charged,” Dan Cathy told the Baptist Press when asked about the Atlanta-based company’s support of the traditional family unit. (BOY! that sounds so hateful huh?)

“We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that,” he said in the interview, posted Monday. (oh no....more hate)

The comments sparked protest from supporters of gay rights activists, and led to city officials in Chicago, Philadelphia, and Boston to come out swinging against the chicken chain restaurant.
The company has broken no laws, but the guvmint is going to shackle them ANYWAY .....so much for equal protection under the law

So tell me when does the gasoline boycott begin???

Old 07-29-2012, 12:52 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Am I the only person who never even HEARD of this "Chick-Fil-A" joint before this controversy arose?

Anyway. It's a private business. They can say whatever they want. I wouldn't support their business because I disagree with the people who run it and think they are not very nice, but freedom of speech is a given. There's no law that says a business owner has to be a kind person, as long as you aren't breaking the law.
You've never heard of the business or the owner but have judged him as unkind?

Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 PM

There are a lot of disturbing and hypocritical responses going on regarding the Chik Fil A situation. Not just here on the forum, but in the news. Let's take them point by point.

1. It's hypocritical to demand that others accept YOUR views and YOUR beliefs while YOU reserve YOUR right to belittle and rage against those YOU don't like. That's a fact. No getting around it. You can't have it both ways. Those doing this are just as intolerant and hateful as those they claim Chik Fil A and bible believing Christians are.

2. Chik Fil A hasn't discriminated in any way. They've hired homosexuals. They serve them. All of this without a word of hate or even a snarl. They've followed the law to the letter.

3. The gay marriage issue is a public, national one. Many companies have come out with their views on it. The owner of Chik Fil A is a bible believing Christian and has always run his business according to biblical principles. That's a well-known, verifiable fact. If you don't agree with his beliefs then you are free to boycott the business. That's your privilege. But, the campaigns people are taking against the business (and all bible believing Christians) for their beliefs is hypocritical and bullying.

4. In NY, once gay marriage became legal, the gay community started bringing lawsuits against churches who refused to marry them. That isn't bullying? And why on earth would anyone want to get married somewhere where they knew they weren't accepted?

My main point is this: Unless YOU are ready to give up YOUR rights to free speech, then YOU need to be just as accepting and tolerant of EVERYONE ELSE'S beliefs and lifestyles that YOU demand for your own. ANYTHING less is hypocrisy and bullying. Period.

Bible believing Christians do NOT hate homosexuals. I say "bible believing Christians" because not everyone who claims to be a Christian actually IS one. I can wear an orange robe, shave my head, chant and call myself a Hare Krishna. But, unless I'm LIVING OUT what they believe, I would just be making a noisy, public nuisance of myself and damaging who the Hare Krishnas really are. It's the same with Christianity. (For example, the Westboro Baptist Church, famous for their gay hate and funeral picketing are NEITHER Christians OR Baptists.) You can't pick apart the Bible and believe this but toss that out. To do that is to create your OWN religion and making YOURSELF god. The bible is very clearly against homosexuality and bible believing Christians will never go against God's word. It's NOT a hate issue.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boanerges View Post

So tell me when does the gasoline boycott begin???
Exactly. It will never happen because that hits too close to their own personal comfort and they don't want to have to do without. They have no problem not eating at a fast food place... especially when it's not even in their state!

If everyone is so enraged with strong feelings of indignence about the treatment of gays, where are their non-profit aid organizations to help those in Africa and the Middle East who are being tortured, humiliated and killed daily just for being gay? My church has prayed for them.

I am just SICK TO DEATH of the double standards and hypocrisy. I don't care what the details of a situation are, if YOU want YOUR opinions, beliefs or lifestyle accepted by others who don't agree with it, then you MUST be prepared to give the same respect and tolerance for EVERYONE else's. See why political correctness is pure hypocrisy? There's no such thing because it's impossible. It's a political tool used to silence those who don't agree with you.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:49 PM

481 posts, read 864,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
There are a lot of disturbing and hypocritical responses going on regarding the Chik Fil A situation. Not just here on the forum, but in the news. Let's take them point by point.

1. It's hypocritical to demand that others accept YOUR views and YOUR beliefs while YOU reserve YOUR right to belittle and rage against those YOU don't like. That's a fact. No getting around it. You can't have it both ways. Those doing this are just as intolerant and hateful as those they claim Chik Fil A and bible believing Christians are.

2. Chik Fil A hasn't discriminated in any way. They've hired homosexuals. They serve them. All of this without a word of hate or even a snarl. They've followed the law to the letter.

3. The gay marriage issue is a public, national one. Many companies have come out with their views on it. The owner of Chik Fil A is a bible believing Christian and has always run his business according to biblical principles. That's a well-known, verifiable fact. If you don't agree with his beliefs then you are free to boycott the business. That's your privilege. But, the campaigns people are taking against the business (and all bible believing Christians) for their beliefs is hypocritical and bullying.

4. In NY, once gay marriage became legal, the gay community started bringing lawsuits against churches who refused to marry them. That isn't bullying? And why on earth would anyone want to get married somewhere where they knew they weren't accepted?

My main point is this: Unless YOU are ready to give up YOUR rights to free speech, then YOU need to be just as accepting and tolerant of EVERYONE ELSE'S beliefs and lifestyles that YOU demand for your own. ANYTHING less is hypocrisy and bullying. Period.

Bible believing Christians do NOT hate homosexuals. I say "bible believing Christians" because not everyone who claims to be a Christian actually IS one. I can wear an orange robe, shave my head, chant and call myself a Hare Krishna. But, unless I'm LIVING OUT what they believe, I would just be making a noisy, public nuisance of myself and damaging who the Hare Krishnas really are. It's the same with Christianity. (For example, the Westboro Baptist Church, famous for their gay hate and funeral picketing are NEITHER Christians OR Baptists.) You can't pick apart the Bible and believe this but toss that out. To do that is to create your OWN religion and making YOURSELF god. The bible is very clearly against homosexuality and bible believing Christians will never go against God's word. It's NOT a hate issue.
Here Here....SOOOOO MUCH A AMEN TO THIS TRUTH!!! Very well said, so very well said.

I do not hate homosexuals by far and by no means and neither does the owners of Chick-fil-A as well. They are expressing their true believes and faith in God our Father, and are just NOT condoning these immoral and very unclean behavior/actions. I personally do not condone the immoral of homosexuality, as God clearly states it is immoral (a sin) and very unclean behavior/actions. The same with beastiality (sex with animals) as well which is getting much worse in humanity. Do I even call these immoral individuals gay? By no means! The word "Gay" originally means to be "carefree" or "happy", not homosexual. This was changed to please mans thinking and understanding, and why, who really cares why. They are human as I am, so I do not hate them, but I do mourn and grieve for them per say in my prayers, as they will miss out on going home to be with God our Father as so clearly witnessed from God our Father in the appointed time.

This bashing and media intervention is just ludicrous by far but sooooo worldly like. Everyone has to be right and have it their way, even when the truth is boldly slapping them in the face and saying other words. Just so flesh and worldly like...hahaha. We as true believers truly need to remember it is all about walking and living in faith and not by site.

....Shalom Aleichem (peace be with you)

Old 07-29-2012, 02:08 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
You've never heard of the business or the owner but have judged him as unkind?
Nice try but sleazy and dishonest tactic. Anyone can go back and read my post again and see that this is not QUITE what I said. I said that I never heard of Chick-Fil-A before the controversy arose. Now that I have and I know that he is against same-sex marriage, even pulling out the tired old snarky "Adam and Steve" line, yes, I do think he's unkind. He says hurtful things about nice people I know who don't deserve to have hurtful things said about them.

I also think he has the right to say whatever he wants to say and run his business the way he wants to run his business.

And I don't think mayors and other politicians should be telling a privately-owned company to "stay out" of their cities. The free market will tell whether a business will be successful or not.

Is this in any way unclear?

I also find it amusing that a man who doesn't like gay people is named "Cathy", but that's just my sick sense of humor.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-29-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Exactly. It will never happen because that hits too close to their own personal comfort and they don't want to have to do without. They have no problem not eating at a fast food place... especially when it's not even in their state!

If everyone is so enraged with strong feelings of indignence about the treatment of gays, where are their non-profit aid organizations to help those in Africa and the Middle East who are being tortured, humiliated and killed daily just for being gay? My church has prayed for them.

I am just SICK TO DEATH of the double standards and hypocrisy. I don't care what the details of a situation are, if YOU want YOUR opinions, beliefs or lifestyle accepted by others who don't agree with it, then you MUST be prepared to give the same respect and tolerance for EVERYONE else's. See why political correctness is pure hypocrisy? There's no such thing because it's impossible. It's a political tool used to silence those who don't agree with you.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nice try but sleazy and dishonest tactic. Anyone can go back and read my post again and see that this is not QUITE what I said. I said that I never heard of Chick-Fil-A before the controversy arose. Now that I have and I know that he is against same-sex marriage, even pulling out the tired old snarky "Adam and Steve" line, yes, I do think he's unkind. He says hurtful things about nice people I know who don't deserve to have hurtful things said about them.

I also think he has the right to say whatever he wants to say and run his business the way he wants to run his business.

Is this in any way unclear?

I also find it amusing that a man who doesn't like gay people is named "Cathy", but that's just my sick sense of humor.
Who is judging now per say? Just saying....hahaha . You may want to consider what you say, how you say it, and where it truly comes from before you say it or write it. (and i do not defend anyone here, just expressing the love of God our Father)

....Shalom Aleichem! (Peace be with you!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity