U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2012, 01:49 PM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,479,170 times
Reputation: 989

Advertisements

Often Christians think of the eye of the needle as an actual knitting needle. How could a camel fit through the eye of the needle?


The Eye of the Needle

"For instance, I remember well how, many years ago, it was explained to me that the "eye of a needle" was an oriental
expression for the small side door in the walls of cities, which were used at night, after the gates were closed. No camel
could get through with a load. It would have to be taken off." (A.E Knoch, Unsearchable Riches, vol.24, p.138).

And so the idea is that a rich man, with all his possessions will likewise find it hard to get into the kingdom of God.

Just as it would be necessary to unload the camel to get through the small side door of the city, so the rich man will have to let
go of his possessions to get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2012, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,279 posts, read 1,155,028 times
Reputation: 1333
Luke 18:26 And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved?

Not the response of a person who would have thought it meant to only unload a camel first. It is the response of a person who knows a camel could not actually go through a normal needle's eye.

Luke 18:27 And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

Jesus was talking about "things which are impossible with men".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 04:57 PM
 
Location: NC
11,918 posts, read 13,849,538 times
Reputation: 1323
Thanks for sharing. God bless and peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,752 posts, read 50,958,491 times
Reputation: 60770
Interesting, but a little confusing. A knitting needle does not have an eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Tucson, Arizona
987 posts, read 881,522 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Often Christians think of the eye of the needle as an actual knitting needle. How could a camel fit through the eye of the needle?


The Eye of the Needle

"For instance, I remember well how, many years ago, it was explained to me that the "eye of a needle" was an oriental
expression for the small side door in the walls of cities, which were used at night, after the gates were closed. No camel
could get through with a load. It would have to be taken off." (A.E Knoch, Unsearchable Riches, vol.24, p.138).

And so the idea is that a rich man, with all his possessions will likewise find it hard to get into the kingdom of God.

Just as it would be necessary to unload the camel to get through the small side door of the city, so the rich man will have to let
go of his possessions to get in.
I've shared this view before and no one ever commented on it. Knitting needles don't have eyes in them, so I would think it would be more like a sewing needle. Or were knitting needles different back then?

Oh and also I read where both the camel and person had to literally crawl through the opening which would certainly not be something a rich man would want to do. He would get dusty and certainly it would humiliate him if someone saw him.

To me this has much more meaning when viewed this way than what we would picture of a man trying to squeeze through the eye of a small utilitarian needle. Nice to see someone else heard of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,752 posts, read 50,958,491 times
Reputation: 60770
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
I've shared this view before and no one ever commented on it. Knitting needles don't have eyes in them, so I would think it would be more like a sewing needle. Or were knitting needles different back then?

Oh and also I read where both the camel and person had to literally crawl through the opening which would certainly not be something a rich man would want to do. He would get dusty and certainly it would humiliate him if someone saw him.

To me this has much more meaning when viewed this way than what we would picture of a man trying to squeeze through the eye of a small utilitarian needle. Nice to see someone else heard of this.
"Knitting" is not mentioned in the verse, so I think a sewing needle is meant.

Anyway, the explanation about the door makes so much sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Tucson, Arizona
987 posts, read 881,522 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Knitting" is not mentioned in the verse, so I think a sewing needle is meant.

Anyway, the explanation about the door makes so much sense.
Sewing isn't mentioned either, is it? Anyway, I agree, I see this much more in line with giving up self life and self-importance which has to do with being an overcomer. He came to serve not to be served whereas most rich people (there are surely some who are humble) believe they should be served by others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 06:33 PM
 
5,754 posts, read 4,605,036 times
Reputation: 4181
I think it just means to put your faith and trust in the GOODNESS and LOVE of God. Rather than depending on outside things, your own view of your "riches"...either actual physical wealth or for those religious types, what they view as their "spiritual" wealth: like their "sabbath keeping" and their "baptisms" and their "prayer reciting" and their "rituals" and their "good works" (which if you're doing good works to "get saved" then I hate to tell you but they are no longer "good works" but selfish works.)

A "rich" man with all that baggage.... will find it hard to understand the love of God and how to DEPEND on the LOVE of God and TRUST on the love of God, because they are so busy focusing on their "riches" and what THEY did. (Not to mention the inevitable condemnation and burdens the man will end up putting on others. "you must do this! you must do that!") When you're caught up in all that stuff, it's no wonder you cannot see the "kingdom of God".

Get rid of your unnecessary baggage, you don't need it.

Just some thoughts I'm pondering..

peace,
sparrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 06:33 PM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,479,170 times
Reputation: 989
You women are correct. Leave it to a man who never knitted before! I messed up with the knitting needle bit. I should have said "sewing needle." Thanks for pointing that out.

ScarletWren, thanks for sharing your understanding. As to sewing in the Bible:

Gen_3:7 And unclosing are their eyes, they two, and knowing are they that they are naked. And sewing are they fig
leaves and making for themselves girdle skirts."

Mar_2:21 No one is sewing a patch of unshrunk shred on an old cloak. Yet, if so, is not that which fills up taking away
from it, the new from the old, and a worse rent is occurring?

cowdog, you wrote:
Quote:
Luke 18:26 And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved?

Not the response of a person who would have thought it meant to only unload a camel first. It is the response of a person who knows a camel could not actually go through a normal needle's eye.

Luke 18:27 And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

Jesus was talking about "things which are impossible with men".
Without God, it is impossible for the wealthy man to unload or rid himself of his wealth. It is easier for a camel to go through the very small side door of a city wall (which is possible) than it is for a wealthy man to give up his wealth (which is impossible without God) but WITH GOD, ALL IS POSSIBLE.

You dig?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,752 posts, read 50,958,491 times
Reputation: 60770
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
Sewing isn't mentioned either, is it? Anyway, I agree, I see this much more in line with giving up self life and self-importance which has to do with being an overcomer. He came to serve not to be served whereas most rich people (there are surely some who are humble) believe they should be served by others.
No, but that's not the point. This is getting to be a silly argument, but:

1. Knitting needles do not have an eye. You cast yarn directly onto the needle.

2. Sewing needles do. You put the thread through the eye.

Sorry, but I often edit documents, and so it's difficult to restrain myself from correcting glaring errors.

Do carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top