U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:36 PM

3,434 posts, read 8,794,271 times

Advertisements

do you agree with this writer? and if no or yes..why?

Faith Healers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 12:43 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,912,286 times
Disagree. I don't think there is any evidence Biblically that God intended the gift of healing to cease existence. And I personally don't see any distinction this author seems to make between having a "faith healer" pray for you or having your pastor or friends pray for you. The Bible clearly says that to some are given gifts of healing. I don't see anywhere that says than no longer applies.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:47 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,357,638 times
Smile Healing

I didn't read much of it. But I know the gift of healing exists now for a fact. I am that fact.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,561,142 times
I hope I can get my thoughts together! I think that God is very interested in our healing! (tho sometimes He may see it best not to heal us.) However, because of the proximity of doctors and because of our "affluence", I think it causes a lack of faith in this area many times. We'd rather just take a few Tylenol than ask the Lord for help! In my own life, I have many times asked the Lord for healing if I or somebody I knew wasn't feeling too well, and just kind of take it for granted. But really, when He answers our prayers, it's amazing no matter how sick we were, isn't it? To get back to my former thought of "lack of faith", I have heard of different reports from missionaries, of miracles and healing in other countries, especially where the people would be poor, and would rely on the Lord more completely than we do sometimes, with our relative "wealth." One instance I thought of happened not long ago; one Christian in Africa was sick unto death (I wish I remembered more details). Anyway, this brother was really burdened for what would happen to the church and his family, and felt like his work wasn't over. The ministers were called together and they had a healing prayer for this brother. He was suddenly, miraculously healed, and is a great asset to the church today!

IMO, the gift of healing was given to us by Jesus, similarly to the way the gift of prophecy was given. I believe it is a gift available to all of us by faith, similar to the gift of prophecy (speaking by and under the direct influence of the Holy Spirit); not just available to a certain special person, altho some people may have more faith in others. Yet at the same time, I believe, especially when a special prayer and anointing by "the elders" is given, faith in the sick one is imperative. Some healing we pray for ourselves, but in some instances it is in place to call on "the elders" for a special prayer and anointing.
Jas 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Some people may feel like Christ's sacrifice was also for our physical healing, and maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but I see it this way: When Christ died for us, He became our high priest, or mediator between us and God. He gave us the gifts of prophecy, divine healing, thru His Holy Spirit. Because He is our mediator, we can come to God and ask for healing. This would not have been possible if Christ had not atoned for us, so in that sense, His sacrifice made the gift of divine healing possible.

Bottom line: Self-reliance, affluence, increasing medical knowledge and advanced techniques, has resulted in a weak faith when it comes to faith healing. If we don't use it, it gets weak!

At the same time, doctors and medicine are available, and to just stay home and pray.... I don't think that is right, either??

Old 10-02-2007, 01:21 PM

32 posts, read 83,881 times
I agree with some of his points but not all... Most of if not all the Faith Healers are fakes... Does God still heal today? Yes, when it is his will too... The author is right about his comments about the abuses that go on in Charismatic circles... Listen to the Bible Answerman radio program and you will hear many testamonies of people hurt by these ministries...

I was in the Charismatic Movement for 6 years and seen plenty of false prophesies by ministers and members... One minister claimed under the Holy Ghost during a healing service that God had healed a couple's child of down syndrome during a morning service and that they would return for the night service to testify before the church of that Miracle... Sadly, the child wasn't healed... My friend who has BiPolar Manic Depressant disorder was told by a Minister that he was healed and told him to throw away his meds... He believed it and did and several days later, he had to be taken by police the to the mental hospital due to his disorder... He wasn't healed and is still taking meds today...

Is is True... to tell people that they didn't get healed because of their lack of faith is wrong and cruel... If People had enough faith to seek prayer and God for their healing... They must have the Mustard Grain amount of faith that Jesus says is all that one needs to receive God's healing... God heals when and if he wants too... It's God will be done not our will be done...

Last edited by GreenTeaCRV; 10-02-2007 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-02-2007, 01:35 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,130,266 times
Well, I'm torn...I don't completely agree, but there are portions that I don't disagree with either.

I agree that it is cruel to tell people that their loved ones died because they did not have enough faith. Maybe it was their appointed time to go be with the Lord. I always cringe when I hear people accuse others of not having enough faith. As if we can see the inner workings of our brothers and sisters and judge them accurately. Only Christ can see the amount of faith. I believe sometimes the answer to the healing is given in a way that we didn't anticipate. If the person dies, they are given a new body in heaven. That is healing, but we are left mourning because they are no longer with us. God's ways are not our ways, and we should trust that He knows what is best.

Sometimes He decides to not heal. (Which, imo, is what was happening to Paul with the situations cited in this article where he was unable to heal.)

When my kids ask me for a snack right before bed time, I say no. It doesn't even have to be unhealthy food. They could ask me for an apple, but if it is right before bed time, I will not allow it. Who knows better, the parent or the child? The parent.

In the same way, we have no idea what God's long-term plans are for our lives or the lives of others. He may be using the sickness/injury to reach someone that would be unreachable otherwise. We need to put our faith in God saying that no matter what happens, He can tell me yes or no, I will trust and follow Him.

I disagree with the author when he says that all "faith healers" are from Satan. However, the author does not discount that there are still healings that occur today. I might be suspect if someone is touting being a "faith healer". I would wonder where their motives lie. Self-glorification, or God-glorification? I don't know. I am not quite sure what to make of the "faith healers", but I won't deny them altogether.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaCRV View Post
I agree with some of his points but not all... Most of if not all the Faith Healers are fakes... Does God still heal today? Yes, when it is his will too... The author is right about his comments about the abuses that go on in Charismatic circles... Listen to the Bible Answerman radio program and you will hear many testamonies of people hurt by these ministries...

I was in the Charismatic Movement for 6 years and seen plenty of false prophesies by ministers and members... One minister claimed under the Holy Ghost during a healing service that God had healed their child of down syndrome and they would return for that night service to testify before the church of that Miracle... Sadly, the child wasn't healed... My friend who has BiPolar Manic Depressant disorder was told by a Minister that he was healed and told him to throw away his meds... He believed it and did and several days later, he had to be taken by police the to the mental hospital due to his disorder... He wasn't healed and is still taking meds today...

Is is True... to tell people that they didn't get healed because of their lack of faith is wrong and cruel... If People had enough faith to seek prayer and God for their healing... They must have the Mustard Grain amount of faith that Jesus says is all that one needs to receive God's healing... God heals when and if he wants too... It's God will be done not our will be done...
Abuses and lack of wisdom and judgment abound among some groups to be sure, but I don't think you should throw the baby out with the bath water either, GreenTea. (Btw, the Bible answerman has some great insight on some things, but he has his own set of biases too. Keep that in mind.) As for myself, I have been in Charismatic circles for about 32 years and I have seen more reality than abuses there or I wouldn't still be there.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:13 PM

32 posts, read 83,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Abuses and lack of wisdom and judgment abound among some groups to be sure, but I don't think you should throw the baby out with the bath water either, GreenTea. (Btw, the Bible answerman has some great insight on some things, but he has his own set of biases too. Keep that in mind.) As for myself, I have been in Charismatic circles for about 32 years and I have seen more reality than abuses there or I wouldn't still be there.
I agree with you, I don't believe the Whole Charismatic Movement is wrong or what they teach is evil... When I read the Bible, I can see how they come to that understanding into Word of Faith teaching... God has healed many people thru these ministries as well...

Your right about the BA, I don't agree with all the methods the Bible Answerman uses and labeling all these movements or churches as cults... Everyone understands things their way and everyone of us makes mistakes... I will have fellowship with anyone who truly Loves the Lord Jesus Christ ...

Old 10-02-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaCRV View Post
I agree with you, I don't believe the Whole Charismatic Movement is wrong or what they teach is evil... When I read the Bible, I can see how they come to that understanding into Word of Faith teaching... God has healed many people thru these ministries as well...

Your right about the BA, I don't agree with all the methods the Bible Answerman uses and labeling all these movements or churches as cults... Everyone understands things their way and everyone of us makes mistakes... I will have fellowship with anyone who truly Loves the Lord Jesus Christ ...
Sounds like you and I may not be that far apart in our thinking then. I certainly agree that there are groups that take a "truth" and run with it to the point it can be abused, become error, and hurt people.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:02 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,640,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
do you agree with this writer? and if no or yes..why?

Faith Healers
I disagree. IMO that author seems to be one of those who "pick and choose" which passages in the Bible to believe, and which to discredit, to toss out with the trash. There are simply too many confirmed healings to say they don't happen today. I also disagree that ALL the "healers" today are fakes. (I say PROVE IT!) Yes, some of them probably are, but it's as the Bible says "the tares among the wheat". With the fakes you have also the real. The gifts of healings are for today, because the Bible says God's gifts are irrevocable. Once a gift of God is given to the Church, He does not take it back. Therefore healing is still with us today.(Romans 11:29) Here is a good study on the gifts:
Supernatural Gifts of the Holy Spirit. Are Spiritual Gifts For Today?

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or