Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,315,679 times

Advertisements

As Christians, we all deal with our trials and tribulations. There are certain times when we face something that really tests us. Even for those that are extremely deep in the faith, it can be a challenge. How do you keep your faith in troubling times (e:g what verse helps you the most)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:07 PM

81 posts, read 94,366 times
Default A Tough Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
As Christians, we all deal with our trials and tribulations. There are certain times when we face something that really tests us. Even for those that are extremely deep in the faith, it can be a challenge. How do you keep your faith in troubling times (e:g what verse helps you the most)?
Interesting that you have raised the point at this particular time. Synchronicity in play! I want/need/think it's better if something happens in my life at the moment and have started to sincerely pray about it. However coming home today, in my mind I found myself replaying the scene when Jesus prayed: Not my will but yours". I argued with my myself, but know I have also to take this stance in prayer. Rough going though as I don't see a way out or don't want the reasonable way out and my own patience has also run out.

Proverbs 3 v5 - Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct your path. KJV

Proverbs 23 v26 - My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:23 PM

9,672 posts, read 9,955,098 times
In Hebrews 13:5 ....God said ``I will never leave you or forsake you ``..is a scripture that Jesus has proved time and time again ... ...Another scripture which Jesus spirit tells me He has a plan, which is close to Jeremiah 29: 11-12..... God said ....``For I know the thoughts that I think towards you , thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end ...Then will you call on me , and you will go and pray to me and I will deliver to you....``

Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,637,581 times
...He says to me..."I Am with you always...I will never leave you nor forsake you."

Thank You Holy Father in heaven...Thank You from the bottom of my heart.

He gives me peace that passes all understanding...He answers my prayers...and they may not happen exactly how I thought they would...but nevertheless...He gives me the desires of my heart. When I think upon this, my heart and my mind are at peace...and I praise His holy Name.

...I wanted to add this...

...Proverbs 21:23 Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles. (Remember, the soul is our mind...our will...and our emotions).

By a constant watchfulness over our words we shall prevent abundance of mischiefs which an ungoverned tongue runs men into. Keep thy heart, and that will keep thy tongue from sin; keep thy tongue, and that will keep thy heart from trouble.

God Bless,
Verna.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 07-31-2012 at 06:10 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 05:29 PM

481 posts, read 861,874 times
Many good ones mentioned here by far!

I personally will never forget Hebrews 13:6-7...

“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”

and Isaiah 41:10...

So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Then I am always drawn to this wonderful one in Isaiah 55...

1“Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.
2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and you will delight in the richest of fare.
3 Give ear and come to me;
listen, that you may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
my faithful love promised to David.
4 See, I have made him a witness to the peoples,
a ruler and commander of the peoples.
5 Surely you will summon nations you know not,
and nations you do not know will come running to you,
because of the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel,
for he has endowed you with splendor.”
6 Seek the Lord while he may be found;
call on him while he is near.
7 Let the wicked forsake their ways
and the unrighteous their thoughts.
Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

10 As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
12 You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.
13 Instead of the thornbush will grow the juniper,
and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the Lord’s renown,
for an everlasting sign,
that will endure forever.”

Christ Jesus tells us that perfect love casts out fear. That goes both ways, we trust in His love for us and we do not fear no matter what may happen. This allows our love to grow for him which casts our fear. James tells us to consider it pure joy when we experience difficulties for through those difficulties our faith is growing. This is why we must never fear what may happen, because the more we trust in God, the more whatever happens will lead us closer to Christ Jesus.

Yet, when we choose not to fear, we go against all our instincts. Kind of like when I parachuted in California. The minute I let go of the wing on the plane at 3000 feet and 90mph, although in my head I knew what I was doing, it was like every cell of my body cried out that I just did something stupid. I had just jumped after all out of a perfectly good airplane.

That is similar to what happens when we choose to trust while the rest of our body tells us to stay silent and mind our own business. We go through that painful period where we choose to obey our fears or obey our Lord. When we choose the latter, great things happen, when we choose the former, we lose everything and become enslaved to the whims of evil. Yet, when we choose to do God’s will despite our fears, great surprises happen.

…When we focus on Christ Jesus we dismiss our fears and act on His truth. When we focus on our fears we abandon Christ Jesus and become a slave to fear and intimidation. Perfect Love casts out all fear and leads us closer to Christ Jesus in total trust. Remember what Jesus said in Mark 4:35-41....

35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”
39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”
41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”

Fear not, be strong by faith and not by sight.

....Shalom Aleichem! (Peace be with you!)

Last edited by Brother Michael; 07-31-2012 at 05:41 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,771,078 times
Sometimes, our faith wavers when we shift our trust and dependence in God ... to our own resolve and faithfulness. We know from our own history and knowledge of ourselves that we've never been particularly resolute or faithful ... therefore, if "keeping our faith" depends on us, we're in trouble.

But, TRUE FAITH is a 'fruit of the Holy Spirit' (Gal. 5:22), a gift of God (Eph 2:8) and a Spiritual gift. God, "whose grace is sufficient", "who is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow", "holds us safely in His hand, from which no one can snatch one of us." His Holy Spirit, in whom "we are reborn as new creatures in Christ", has "sealed us unto the day of redemption" and "will never leave or foresake us." 'My' faith is vested in His love, strength, power, grace and faithfulness, NOT in 'ME.' Therefore, my faith and salvation do not depend on 'me hanging onto Him,' but, on Him hanging onto me.'

Yes, I know ... in spite of all this, our 'faith' still seems shakey in the face of trials and obstacles. But, that is simply another opportunity to remind ourselves that our past, present and future depends on Him, not us! That is also because, beyond knowledge, a Spiritually alive, growing faith is a working faith. 'Head faith is dead faith! (James 2-3). When we act in faith, we give God something to bless and multiply in our lives. When we see God doing that. we realize that it really is God, NOT US, ... and our faith grows!

In summary, a waivering faith that fails to grow is simply an inactive faith that is depending on us and not God. That's not a total loss, because it gives us a clear opportunity to reflect on what is really happening .... and 'turn back to our always faithful God in faith and obedience.'

Old 07-31-2012, 06:44 PM

81 posts, read 94,366 times
Default Beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Sometimes, our faith wavers when we shift our trust and dependence in God ... to our own resolve and faithfulness. We know from our own history and knowledge of ourselves that we've never been particularly resolute or faithful ... therefore, if "keeping our faith" depends on us, we're in trouble.

But, TRUE FAITH is a 'fruit of the Holy Spirit' (Gal. 5:22), a gift of God (Eph 2:8) and a Spiritual gift. God, "whose grace is sufficient", "who is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow", "holds us safely in His hand, from which no one can snatch one of us." His Holy Spirit, in whom "we are reborn as new creatures in Christ", has "sealed us unto the day of redemption" and "will never leave or foresake us." 'My' faith is vested in His love, strength, power, grace and faithfulness, NOT in 'ME.' Therefore, my faith and salvation do not depend on 'me hanging onto Him,' but, on Him hanging onto me.'

Yes, I know ... in spite of all this, our 'faith' still seems shakey in the face of trials and obstacles. But, that is simply another opportunity to remind ourselves that our past, present and future depends on Him, not us! That is also because, beyond knowledge, a Spiritually alive, growing faith is a working faith. 'Head faith is dead faith! (James 2-3). When we act in faith, we give God something to bless and multiply in our lives. When we see God doing that. we realize that it really is God, NOT US, ... and our faith grows!

In summary, a waivering faith that fails to grow is simply an inactive faith that is depending on us and not God. That's not a total loss, because it gives us a clear opportunity to reflect on what is really happening .... and 'turn back to our always faithful God in faith and obedience.'
Ace stuff. Right on the button.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,490,840 times
The Holy Spirit. He reminds me that God is real and true. His Promises are true as outlined in the NT.

Same goes for all of the "logical" arguements of the nontheists. Not only are their facts off base, but God's presence reminds me of the truth of the matter.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,525,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Personally, I can't really understand your question. The reason is that there is nothing in this world that can take away my faith. Either you believe or you don't is the way I see it. I can however understand wanting some encouragement. To me the best comes from a passage talking about the Jews who seemed to forget God at every chance they had.

Romans 10:21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

So what we have is a people (the Jews) that turned away at every chance they had but God was still showing patience to them.

It's the same way when the Lord himself says it.

Matt 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

I know most do not see these as encouragement but when one realizes the problem was with the people and not with God, it is just amazing how he was still waiting on them.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:53 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,154,320 times
By being rooted and established in his love for you, achieved by a mind that is stayed up on his love for you. Saying God is love, is wonderful, knowing he loves you is far more wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity