Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I have no problem with your speaking what you believe, but you're risking being branded a fool by claiming its the truth, without any evidence.

Considering #2, you must not understand or agree with the Bible you seem to believe because the Bible consistently proposes that last minute conversions are acceptable, i.e. the thief on the cross.
Please, do not concern yourself with the "risk's" I choose to take...if being labeled a fool for Christ and His precious truth, BRAND ME ! HANG A SIGN ABOVE MY HEAD ON MY CROSS THAT I BARE ! LET IT PROCLAIM TO THE WORLD I AM A FOOL FOR CHRIST !

...SO BE IT !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
It appears I've been reading the Psalm 130 wrong. David is not addressing the privilege of God not marking iniquities to everyone, only those who are called by His Name.

It doesn't change my opinion about Revelation, but I worded my initial post harshly and I apologize to those I've offended. I concede that while I find some issues with Revelation's authenticity it is possible it is divinely inspired. Further study is needed.

I don't wonder, though, that one of the leading exponents of the Bible of our times gave up on it, even after writing a bestselling book on it, "Approaching Hoofbeats".

Old 08-10-2012, 11:59 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm sorry for upsetting you, Verna. But you have to remember that just as I ruffled some feathers by pointing out what I perceived to be inconsistencies in two scriptures, so did you ruffle some feathers of others by denying what many here perceive to be the reality of eternal torment in hell for unrepentant sinners. You see, you have your beliefs which we respect and I have my beliefs which we should also respect, if not agree on. My belief is that the Book of Revelation is a phony. I don't land on that conclusion without a ton of reading, studying and meditating on the evidence presented. If Revelation carried the same credentials as Isaiah, for example---that being that hundreds of prophecies about Christ have been fulfilled and that it has been proven without doubt to have been written by Isaiah via careful record keeping and by the Dead Sea Scrolls---then sure I'd line up to support it.

BUT!

We don't have that kind of record on Revelation. Despite many who will shout from the mountaintop that it was written by John the Apostle circa 95AD, we simply have no conclusive evidence to prove those assertions. For every pro-Revelation theologian that die-hard Revelation believers in here pull in to support it, I will pull in five Bible forensic experts who will disprove their assertions and prove that it was written circa 63-67 AD by someone other than John the Apostle right before the fall of Jerusalem and its focus is on the fall of Jerusalem and not on end-times eschatology.

Finally, I will point out that, while I appreciate Mike 555 being gracious enough to point out to me a 240-hour study on Revelation (thank you for that, Mike--I will be eternally grateful for that ) no less a Biblical luminary than Billy Graham has spent considerably more than 240 hours studying Revelation and here's what resulted:

Now if Billy Graham can't figure it out, do you actually think that anyone in here is going to?????????
Billy Graham was an evangelist. He did not have the spiritual gift of pastor/teacher and beyond giving the gospel message he was not very knowledgable concerning matters of doctrine.

The book of Revelation is easy to understand. Your remarks and your sarcasm are just about what I expected from you and show that you have no desire to understand what Revelation says. You are unwilling to even listen to any of that study. It appears that your intent with this thread was simply to once again attack the Bible and to discredit it.

Last edited by Michael Way; 08-11-2012 at 12:25 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 04:46 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
It appears I've been reading the Psalm 130 wrong. David is not addressing the privilege of God not marking iniquities to everyone, only those who are called by His Name.

It doesn't change my opinion about Revelation, but I worded my initial post harshly and I apologize to those I've offended. I concede that while I find some issues with Revelation's authenticity it is possible it is divinely inspired. Further study is needed.

I don't wonder, though, that one of the leading exponents of the Bible of our times gave up on it, even after writing a bestselling book on it, "Approaching Hoofbeats".
Thrill, Man not only bares His Name, he's made in the image of that Name.

What is man that You remember him? The son of man that you visit him?

And cause him to lack a little of Godhead, And with honour and majesty compassest him. Psalm 8

Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:

...God our Father IS Who you should be most concerned about having offended thrill......and until you receive His word in faith and obedience, I'm afraid He'll not be moved by any appology. As for me, I accept your appology while still understanding you continue to walk in unbelief and accusations against Him and His precious word.

I'm still very upset with you....because you take me on roller coaster rides with your turning with every wind that blows......no good can come from that.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:27 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Don't worry Thrill, He who created the wind is blowing you in the right direction. He stirs the waters of your innermost being and brings you into your desired haven( that which your heart seeks after).

Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Please, do not concern yourself with the "risk's" I choose to take...if being labeled a fool for Christ and His precious truth, BRAND ME ! HANG A SIGN ABOVE MY HEAD ON MY CROSS THAT I BARE ! LET IT PROCLAIM TO THE WORLD I AM A FOOL FOR CHRIST !

...SO BE IT !
That makes about as much sense as being a fool for Satan or Venus or Vishnu or Buddha or Solomon.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:11 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It says they are judged according to their works.

It doesn't say who does the judging. (Ever read any NDE's? If you put any stock in those experiences at all, it is interesting to note that the judging is always done by the person themselves during a "life review".)

Secondly, the passage doesn't say that what is being judged are the wrongs of people, but rather their works. Perhaps the passage is meant to indicate that God is giving people insight/knowledge into the things that they have done that they consider to be "good works' and showing which of those works are really the works of God/love. That would fit with the Matt 25 passage that speaks of people feeding, clothing, visiting, etc. In that Matt. passage, there's no mention of people doing evil or "working iniquity" (nothing about keeping a record of sin), but rather of people having either embraced or ignored opportunities to love.

The Book of Life in Rev., as I see it, is Christ. The other books that are opened, are each of our lives (our life review). Works done in love are the things that are done in/through the life/spirit of Christ. So anything anyone has done in love as seen in their book/lifetime is what is recorded in that Book of Life/Christ.

So, nothing about God keeping a record of wrongs, but rather of God "keeping a record" of LOVE.

aisi
Great post. (tried to rep you)

Old 08-11-2012, 08:24 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
People are always looking for ways to contradict the Bible or demonstrate in their own foolish thinking that the Bible contradicts itself. In the end, the Bible always contradicts them! God has revealed Himself and His truth in His timeless, perfect Word of truth. "Those who suppress God's truth are without excuse" (Rom 1:18-21)

Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
People are always looking for ways to contradict the Bible or demonstrate in their own foolish thinking that the Bible contradicts itself. In the end, the Bible always contradicts them! God has revealed Himself and His truth in His timeless, perfect Word of truth. "Those who suppress God's truth are without excuse" (Rom 1:18-21)
Amen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity