Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:12 AM

436 posts, read 755,718 times

Advertisements

I thought Lillith was Adam's first wife. She and Asherah would often have bridge parties together, before Asherah dumped her second husband and went back to her first husband El. I think this was about the time Baal went to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Because the term is technically there (lilit), but it's the only instance in the entire Bible, and in a pretty different context, so people try to read too much into it (i.e. use it to support their theories of mythological development)
I don't see why Isaiah would mention it unless their were some truth in it...

Old 08-11-2012, 11:15 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
The point is that the concept of Lilith in Isaiah (in a list of unclean animals) is vastly removed from the idea of her as Adam's first wife, and it takes some imaginative efforts to try to link up the two.

Here's Isaiah 34:11-15:

11 The desert owl[b] and screech owl[c] will possess it;
the great owl[d] and the raven will nest there.
God will stretch out over Edom
the measuring line of chaos
and the plumb line of desolation.
12 Its nobles—there is no one there
Whom they may proclaim king—
And all its princes will be nothing.
13 Thorns will come up in its fortified towers,
Nettles and thistles in its fortified cities;
It will also be a haunt of jackals
And an abode of ostriches.
14 The desert creatures will meet with the [o]wolves,
The [p] hairy goat also will cry to its kind;
Yes, the [q]night monster will settle there
And will find herself a resting place.
15 The tree snake will make its nest and lay eggs there,
And it will hatch and gather them under its [r]protection.
Yes, the [s]hawks will be gathered there,
Every one with its kind.

q. v. 14, Heb: Lilith

That's all you get.
It's a hapax legomenon in the Hebrew Bible.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 AM

436 posts, read 755,718 times
There are clearly two stories of God creating women in Genesis. The first one when God creates Adam and a woman(?) simultaneously. (Genesis 1:27) The second one is when he creates Eve from one of Adam's ribs (Genesis 2:22-23).

There are obvious gaps in the Bible, as only selected writings are taken out or re-edited. No one talks about Lilith, just as no one talks about Asherah.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
It was my understand that Lillith didn't want to submit to Adams will & she rebelled & was cast out of Eden. One story is that God created Adam and Lilith as twins joined together at the back. She demanded equality with Adam, failing to achieve it, she left him in anger. This is sometimes accompanied by a Muslim legend that after leaving Adam Lilith slept with Satan thus creating the demonic Djinn. I don't see why the bible would mention her if the story wasn't true to some extent.

I also found thing & thought it was intresting.

The Lilith Myth

Old 08-11-2012, 11:36 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It was my understand that Lillith didn't want to submit to Adams will & she rebelled & was cast out of Eden. One story is that God created Adam and Lilith as twins joined together at the back. She demanded equality with Adam, failing to achieve it, she left him in anger. This is sometimes accompanied by a Muslim legend that after leaving Adam Lilith slept with Satan thus creating the demonic Djinn. I don't see why the bible would mention her if the story wasn't true to some extent.

I also found thing & thought it was intresting.

The Lilith Myth
Show me where those various stories you allude to are mentioned in the Bible - even indirectly? I think you're getting things backward.

Much of the myth we know starts showing up in the Alphabet of Ben Sira around 1000 AD.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:12 PM

33,228 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
There are clearly two stories of God creating women in Genesis. The first one when God creates Adam and a woman(?) simultaneously. (Genesis 1:27) The second one is when he creates Eve from one of Adam's ribs (Genesis 2:22-23).

There are obvious gaps in the Bible, as only selected writings are taken out or re-edited. No one talks about Lilith, just as no one talks about Asherah.
No there is not. Genesis chapter 1 simply gives an overview of the restoration of the earth. Then Genesis chapter two gives specific detailed information concerning the creation of the man and the woman. Genesis 1:27 refers to the same thing that is mentioned in Genesis 2:22-23.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:38 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No there is not. Genesis chapter 1 simply gives an overview of the restoration of the earth. Then Genesis chapter two gives specific detailed information concerning the creation of the man and the woman. Genesis 1:27 refers to the same thing that is mentioned in Genesis 2:22-23.
restoration?...Oh, you mean there is a vicious cycle of all this occuring again and again and again?...

Old 08-11-2012, 03:19 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddv213 View Post
So i saw a video about mythology and the name Lillith came up. It said that Lillith was with Adam before Eve was but Lillith refused to lay with him and left Eden. Any thought about this?? I thought it was just Adam and Eve. I was unaware of this other being.
There are all sorts of strange stories distorting the biblical perspective of what happened. No mention of Lilith anywhere in the Bible.

Bottom line is realizing that we are a condemned race in need of redemption in which that condemnation ultimately came through Adam. Redemption came through Jesus Christ.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:28 PM

33,228 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
restoration?...Oh, you mean there is a vicious cycle of all this occuring again and again and again?...
Only Genesis 1:1 refers to original creation. There is a gap of undefined time between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 where God begins to restore the earth for man. Satan's rebellion sometime after Genesis 1:1 resulted in judgment which caused the earth to become tohu wa bohu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity