Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,366 times

Advertisements

This is something I've been struggling with. I recently made a career switch to go back into education. I currently work as an instructional assistant in a special education class, a job which I love. I loved it so much that I am now back in school working towards my special education certification. Going back to last summer, I've been on over thirty interviews for a teaching position, and I don't have one (and I'm in special ed, which everyone keeps telling me is in high demand).

It seems to me like teaching is part of God's plan. I hated life when I was in the corporate world, but I have a new lease on life as a teacher. I have to work two jobs to be able to pay my bills, which means I have no time to myself (not to mention the fact that I can't be more involved in my church). How do I know if I'm going down the wrong path, and this isn't actually God's plan for me? I don't have the luxury of talking to a burning bush like Moses. Or what if I'm misunderstanding God's message? I jokingly said in Sunday school imagine if Noah misunderstood God and built an arc instead of an ark; all the animals would've died in the flood.

This goes back to my original question: how are we supposed to know what God's plan is for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,406 times
well its funny you came here to ask?!... because prayer is a good way to start instead of asking on a message board. Certainly you can be a teacher and be doing God's will. Especially a special ed teacher. You still need fellowship and hearing the word so 2 jobs doesn't help in that area if you aren't attending a church. If you are struggling financially you got to do what you gotta do to pay the bills. Just be sure you are living within your means.

but again pray. seriously ask God to show you and he most certainly will.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
God has a purpose for all of us to do, that is why he made us. It is not always EASY to hear that small voice, but you find that the talent is there and the avenues will open to do what you are supposed to do. I always ask God first on His opinion, and then move forward knowing by faith MY steps are directed, even if the thing fails,. Why-? because if it fails, there is a new turn in life and something has been learned from what ever happened. Failure sometimes takes you to a higher plane that you were in before. See the Story of Joseph, great example of what I am saying. Nothing is guarranted, but in all things you can find God's peace. SO if you feel right for now- go with it, and ask God to show you when and IF it is time to change venue in the future.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
One of the most common questions I run into in ministry is: "What is God's plan for my life?" ... as though God has a secret plan He is hiding from us, like some prize Easter Egg. Yet, when I ask, "What is/are your Spiritual Gift/s?" ... an amazing number of Christians have no idea.

The fact is that God has given all Christians one or more Spiritual Gifts via His indwelling Holy Spirit. The purpose of these gifts is to empower/enable us to participate in His work on earth (as part of Christ's church/body on earth). These are NOT natural talents or abilities ... which are possessed by both those with/without the Holy Spirit. They are not the "Fruit of the Holy Spirit" described in Gal. 5:22, which are given to reveal God's power in us, to us. Further, because these gifts depend on God's Holy Spirit power, not our own, we do not have to feel comfortable or competent in those areas.

Spiritual Gifts are specifically defined in scripture (See Rom. 12, 1 Cor 12, Eph 4). They are: (1) are scriptural, (2) edify/strengthen the church and (3) and always produce 'fruit.'

In a very real sense, our Spiritual Gift/s are God very directly and specifically saying to us, "This is my plan for your life!"

Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord, they are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope".

Ask Him and He will tell you.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:28 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Moderator cut: deleted

It's possible to believe in God without believing that somehow he controls and is behind everything that everybody does.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-18-2012 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: Deletion of inappropriate for this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity