Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:01 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If people are being saved, what's your beef?

That's not true. I belong to a mega-church. We don't have these rules you speak of. We follow Scripture, which says not to be polluted by the world.
I do wonder about some folk who think church has to be done as if we lived in 1870

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Who would Jesus lure?
Gee, I guess He'd lure those who were in need of Salvation. Come as you are. In shorts and sandals even. And using music that is relevant. Like Luther, who adapted the tune of a bar song and came up with A Mighty Fortress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It has been said that a church that follows a liturgical service is prone more to be theologically correct in certian teaching. Though certianly not to mean that non-liturgical are not Christian, it would seem to hold some credence when the teachings on subjects like communion \ baptism, end of the world and fellowship are the topics.
In my book the Baptists, Calvary Chapel, Assembly of God and other non-litugical churches have orthodox theology nailed down. Compared to the Episcopalian, who think it swell to ordain gays as bishops and pastors. If Jesus had a grave, He'd be rolling around in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If Jesus had a grave, He'd be rolling around in it.
But not for more than three days.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:19 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,211 times
Quote:
It has been said that a church that follows a liturgical service is prone more to be theologically correct in certian teaching. Though certianly not to mean that non-liturgical are not Christian, it would seem to hold some credence when the teachings on subjects like communion \ baptism, end of the world and fellowship are the topics.
Sounds like you're getting at Reformed theology without saying it.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
I went to Elevation Church when I lived in Charlotte which is a non-denominational megachurch that is seeker-friendly. Never once did I hear politics preached from the pulput, but I did hear the love of Jesus Christ and His death on the cross for our sins preached. I did hear encouraging messages about how no matter what we have done in our past we are still loved by Christ and his free gift of salvation was available to all. It was preached that the Bible is the inerrant, infallible Word of God but it is preached in such a way that it is culturally relevant today. The worship is amazing and the Spirit moved mightily through it. I loved the messages of love and hope preached there which are a stark contrast to the messages of fire and brimstone preached at many fundamentalist churches. Every church is different, but personally I think many non-denominational churches are actually getting it right.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Sounds like you're getting at Reformed theology without saying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I do wonder about some folk who think church has to be done as if we lived in 1870

Gee, I guess He'd lure those who were in need of Salvation. Come as you are. In shorts and sandals even. And using music that is relevant. Like Luther, who adapted the tune of a bar song and came up with A Mighty Fortress.

In my book the Baptists, Calvary Chapel, Assembly of God and other non-litugical churches have orthodox theology nailed down. Compared to the Episcopalian, who think it swell to ordain gays as bishops and pastors. If Jesus had a grave, He'd be rolling around in it.
As one of our pastors recently wrote: ( by permission to repeat)
Church Isn't Group Therapy or Mere Entertainment!

Real Biblical worship must be centered on the one true Triune God. If the congregation makes itself and its wants a higher priority than God; if it is more important for them to please themselves than to please God, then their priorities are skewed and their worship is not God pleasing.

That's the problem with so many churches today – Is it a church, or group therapy for narcissists? Now, group therapy can be good, but it's deceptive to pass it off as worship! In addition, Christians are not just secular people with secular values attending a weekly talent show and sing-a-long. If worship is entirely driven by the congregation’s taste and demands, then it has very little to do with praising God and serving Him.

A church’s role is to give people what they need, and teach them how to want what they truly need. What people need is to hear is law and Gospel, sin and grace. Even believers must be constantly guided and taught how to worship properly and live according to God's will. Church is for worship, first and foremost.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:41 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
1COR 12:4-6 "Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which works all in all."

Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I went to Elevation Church when I lived in Charlotte which is a non-denominational megachurch that is seeker-friendly. Never once did I hear politics preached from the pulput, but I did hear the love of Jesus Christ and His death on the cross for our sins preached. I did hear encouraging messages about how no matter what we have done in our past we are still loved by Christ and his free gift of salvation was available to all. It was preached that the Bible is the inerrant, infallible Word of God but it is preached in such a way that it is culturally relevant today. The worship is amazing and the Spirit moved mightily through it. I loved the messages of love and hope preached there which are a stark contrast to the messages of fire and brimstone preached at many fundamentalist churches. Every church is different, but personally I think many non-denominational churches are actually getting it right.
It depends upon the individual church's attitude as well as who is in charge. When I first became an Episcopalian, it was partly because I had this wonderful priest who gave the most inspiring sermons. I still remember so many of them. They were based on Christian/biblical principles that you could apply to your everyday life. Then he left to take a church in the south, and we got this guy who complained about taxes and politicians from the pulpit every week. That's NOT why I go to church on Sunday, bucko.

Anyway, the church I have now has a priest much like the first one. A wonderful bible scholar who can take the sometimes-apparently-disparate readings of the day and meld them into one sermon that you can take with you.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:13 AM

889 posts, read 825,471 times
The Mass according to Justin Martyr, ~155 A.D. (2:47 min.):

The Catholic Mass in 155 A.D. - YouTube

Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Where do you see these ads? I don't think I have ever seen an ad for a church.
Seriously? Do you live under a rock? They advertize in newspapers regularly and we get postcards from lots of churches. We have a lot of churches for the size town I live in. I think it is best to stay away from all of them.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Seriously? Do you live under a rock? They advertize in newspapers regularly and we get postcards from lots of churches. We have a lot of churches for the size town I live in. I think it is best to stay away from all of them.
No, we live in a house in a metropolital area with about 6 million other people, and I don't see church ads with false information. Honestly, I have no idea what kind of ads the OP is referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity