Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:14 AM

139 posts, read 166,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The Quran claims to use the Bible but in doing so denies just about everything the Bible says. So look to the Bible and authenticate that. It clearly exposes the Quran as a fraud, but lets not get into that debate.

Regarding the Bible, what one needs to ultimately do is go to the originals. The problem with the Watchtower's New World Translation, if you do research you will find that the text has been changed in certain areas - especially areas that suggest the transcendence/divinity of Jesus Christ.

John 3

King James Version

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineI...NTpdf/joh3.pdf

John 3:13

New World Translation

Moreover, no man has ascended into heaven but he that descended from heaven, the Son of man.

"which is in heaven" is not included in the New World Translation which suggests the transcendent nature of the Messiah. This gets into Textual Criticism however, which I find to be a very important area to research.

The "Word of God" is in the originals. Once one establishes who Jesus Christ is, than they can establish the integrity of design of the Scriptures. Telling events prior to them happening is the trademark fingerprint from God that it is indeed his Word. So understanding the prophecies that have come to past are important at authenticating the Word as such. No other "Holy" Book has this authenticity.

What comprises the Canon? There are good people that believe certain books like the Book of Enoch are inspired. I believe the Holy Spirit is the ultimate discerner of what is from God, and I do believe he's been working in God's servants to get this in the hands of English readers with the authorized King James Version being the best translation.
So from what you are stating above, it is my understanding that you believe that the Hebrews and the Greeks spoke in the language of King James. And I am not saying "English" I am saying the fact that the thee, thou, thine, and so forth were part of the original text.... And the latest version of KJ removed the name of Jehovah completely. You see my point here. I am certainly NOT criticizing the KJV, far from it. I am only saying it was written or translated in a time period when that might have been easily understood wording. Today not so much. So I simply prefer the New World Translation over others as it is easily understood for me. Please, I am not attempting to slight ANY other version of the Holy Scriptures. As I state previously......(2 Timothy 3:16, 17) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 10:36 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,714,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The Quran claims to use the Bible but in doing so denies just about everything the Bible says. So look to the Bible and authenticate that. It clearly exposes the Quran as a fraud, but lets not get into that debate.

Regarding the Bible, what one needs to ultimately do is go to the originals. The problem with the Watchtower's New World Translation, if you do research you will find that the text has been changed in certain areas - especially areas that suggest the transcendence/divinity of Jesus Christ.

John 3

King James Version

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineI...NTpdf/joh3.pdf

John 3:13

New World Translation

Moreover, no man has ascended into heaven but he that descended from heaven, the Son of man.

"which is in heaven" is not included in the New World Translation which suggests the transcendent nature of the Messiah. This gets into Textual Criticism however, which I find to be a very important area to research.

The "Word of God" is in the originals. Once one establishes who Jesus Christ is, than they can establish the integrity of design of the Scriptures. Telling events prior to them happening is the trademark fingerprint from God that it is indeed his Word. So understanding the prophecies that have come to past are important at authenticating the Word as such. No other "Holy" Book has this authenticity.

What comprises the Canon? There are good people that believe certain books like the Book of Enoch are inspired. I believe the Holy Spirit is the ultimate discerner of what is from God, and I do believe he's been working in God's servants to get this in the hands of English readers with the authorized King James Version being the best translation.
RESPONSE:

Didn't Elijah ascend to heaven before Jesus?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The original Apostles were verified by miracles.
RESPONSE:

Not necessarily. It's all part of the story. Didn't Cinderella experience miracles too, ie. mircalulous gown, and carriage being created on the spot? Do you consider these miracles true, and on the basis of what evidence exactly?

You're using scripture to verify scripture.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 08-31-2012 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-31-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara M Wheeler View Post
Actually the New World Translation is translated directly from the Hebrew, and Greek Scriptures. Many of other faiths use the New World Translation because it is in a language of today such as those others that are in modern language... We used King James Bibles for many, many years... I cross reference my research with many other translations.... And always have a KJV handy for those who prefer it's use.
RESPONSE:

Your claim of "translated directly" may not be entirely correct.

From Wikipedia:

"Textual basis:

The master text used for translating the Old Testament into English was Kittel's Biblia Hebraica. The Hebrew text, Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (1977), was used for updating the footnotes in the 1984 version of the New World Translation. Other works consulted in preparing the translation include Aramaic Targums, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Samaritan Torah, the Greek Septuagint, the Latin Vulgate, the Masoretic Text, the Cairo Codex, the Codex Petropolitanus[disambiguation needed], the Aleppo Codex, Christian David Ginsburg's Hebrew Text, and the Leningrad Codex.[29]

Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,160,169 times
The greatest error in the JW Bible occurs in the begginning of John's Gospel where the Word is spoken of as "a" god, instead of God. This is a fatal error.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The greatest error in the JW Bible occurs in the begginning of John's Gospel where the Word is spoken of as "a" god, instead of God. This is a fatal error.
RESPONSE:

Actually, that's a possible translation, in fact, probably the correct one. The "Word" is the same as the Logos (or Demiurge) the creator god, an aspect of God but a lesser god. It comes from Greek cosmology which was adopted by early Christianity.

From Wiki:

After Judaism came under Hellenistic influence, Philo (ca. 20 BC–AD 50) adopted the term into Jewish philosophy.[6] The Gospel of John identifies the Logos, through which all things are made, as divine (theos),[7] and further identifies Jesus as the incarnation of the Logos.

Footnotes:

6.Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy (2nd ed): Philo Judaeus, 1999.
7. May, Herbert G. and Bruce M. Metzger. The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha. 1977.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Jesus, as Creator God, was in Heaven from before the beginning of time.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:10 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,535,487 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

Because the Scripture cannot be broken, it is obvious that Elijah ascended to the secound Heaven called Paradise/Abraham's Bosom. Jesus is ascended to the third Heaven.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Because the Scripture cannot be broken, it is obvious that Elijah ascended to the secound Heaven called Paradise/Abraham's Bosom. Jesus is ascended to the third Heaven.
My Brother, Jesus created Heaven and everything else in existence.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:44 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,453,710 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

Actually, that's a possible translation, in fact, probably the correct one. The "Word" is the same as the Logos (or Demiurge) the creator god, an aspect of God but a lesser god. It comes from Greek cosmology which was adopted by early Christianity.

From Wiki:

After Judaism came under Hellenistic influence, Philo (ca. 20 BC–AD 50) adopted the term into Jewish philosophy.[6] The Gospel of John identifies the Logos, through which all things are made, as divine (theos),[7] and further identifies Jesus as the incarnation of the Logos.

Footnotes:

6.Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy (2nd ed): Philo Judaeus, 1999.
7. May, Herbert G. and Bruce M. Metzger. The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha. 1977.
Oh please, why do you think the very early church spent so much time combatting Gnostic influences? Because they knew the Logos was not understood in the same way the Gnostics used it! So for you to come in and say this opposing ancient Greek understanding should help determine our translation is ridiculous.

Maybe you should actually read May and Metzger's work before just quoting Wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity