U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-28-2012, 11:41 PM
 
14,747 posts, read 29,205,446 times
Reputation: 8805

Advertisements

Catholic magazines and articles tend to indicate their support for a national health care system. They feel that it is the equitable and fair solution to a problem this country faces.

Before anybody starts spouting, please remember the numbers 60, 13, and 13. Sixty percent of Americans are covered by their employers, 13 percent are on Medicare, 13 are on Medicaid. For this 86 percent, nothing changes. The new law only picks up the other 14 percent who fall through the cracks, and it will NOT be free. Those who work as solo practitioners or work for small companies and make a reasonable income will need to BUY it but, at least, they can't be turned down.

I agree with the church's position. They obviously can't affect what happens, as they are unable to do away with abortion. However, they can voice their opinion.

Discuss away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 AM
 
870 posts, read 681,138 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Catholic magazines and articles tend to indicate their support for a national health care system. They feel that it is the equitable and fair solution to a problem this country faces.

Before anybody starts spouting, please remember the numbers 60, 13, and 13. Sixty percent of Americans are covered by their employers, 13 percent are on Medicare, 13 are on Medicaid. For this 86 percent, nothing changes. The new law only picks up the other 14 percent who fall through the cracks, and it will NOT be free. Those who work as solo practitioners or work for small companies and make a reasonable income will need to BUY it but, at least, they can't be turned down.

I agree with the church's position. They obviously can't affect what happens, as they are unable to do away with abortion. However, they can voice their opinion.

Discuss away.
I am not entirely against government healthcare, but they need to throw ObamaCare in the trash and start from scratch. It's too big and too costly. WE CANNOT AFFORD IT! PERIOD! As much I as I love giving all my money away, I do have to feed my own children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 AM
 
28,905 posts, read 47,563,552 times
Reputation: 46157
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Catholic magazines and articles tend to indicate their support for a national health care system. They feel that it is the equitable and fair solution to a problem this country faces.

Before anybody starts spouting, please remember the numbers 60, 13, and 13. Sixty percent of Americans are covered by their employers, 13 percent are on Medicare, 13 are on Medicaid. For this 86 percent, nothing changes. The new law only picks up the other 14 percent who fall through the cracks, and it will NOT be free. Those who work as solo practitioners or work for small companies and make a reasonable income will need to BUY it but, at least, they can't be turned down.

I agree with the church's position. They obviously can't affect what happens, as they are unable to do away with abortion. However, they can voice their opinion.

Discuss away.
Well, I think there's a line to be drawn between a church endorsing general aims of government and coming down on the side of what is essentially a partisan debate between two competing economic views. I don't think anyone lacks compassion for those not covered. The question becomes, then, "What's the best way to do something without bankrupting the country?"

In that sense, Obamacare is a bit of a mess, an ill-conceived bit of legislation that will likely mean less quality care rather than more -- the Law Of Unintended Consequences in action. It will become less attractive for doctors to practice and it will do nothing to cap the growing costs of care. I was at a conference last year for surgeons, and a poll taken by the organization showed that 25% of all members planned to retire in the next three or four years, simply because they could not find a way to make any money under the provisions of Obamacare. Now, I realize that the real number will likely be south of that, but it still raises troubling questions.

Here's the thing. The more government intervenes in healthcare, the more expensive it seems to get. Before Medicare and Medicaid, healthcare constituted roughly 5% of the national economic. Today it's closer to 20%. Mind you, this inflation of healthcare costs comes at a time when, in just about every other industry, automation, new technology, and economies of scale have driven costs to the consumer down. When you index versus inflation, it's now cheaper to buy food, housing, automobiles, long distance, airline tickets, and just about everything else. Meanwhile, healthcare costs have spiraled upwards despite it being the most heavily regulated industry in the country. Is there a correlation.

So if the current solution, Obamacare, actually causes long-term fiscal problems for the country, leading to serious economic consequences for Americans, is it really the more moral course to pursue? These are things that the church hasn't thought out, apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM
 
6,822 posts, read 5,309,181 times
Reputation: 3734
From a perspective of studying the healthcare system for 3 so upward years as I was planning on pursuing education in this area, I can only say that socialistic healthcare does not work. The best example is Medicare. 60 billion dollars of fraud per year riddled with high overhead costs with the beauracracy. It also is fiscally insolvent. There's not enough people paying in. Medicare sets the prices and private insurance has followed suit. If you want to look for the primary reason for escalated health care costs look right there. When a centralized government body sets the price it has arbitrarily priced themselves at a number which is independent of what the market can bear. Would an individual pay $200 out of pocket for just a Physical Therapy evaluation? Absolutely not.. so why is this a common charge at a hospital?

The problem with private insurance companies is the mergers. The past twenty years has seen a huge number of mergers creating an oligopoloy. There is little competition. Thus the prices remain high. There is no reason why a tylenol should cost $7 at a hospital. The prices have all been inflated.

The answer is not socialistic medicine in which there is little to no accountability. One guy coming into PT for wound care for the 7th so time to get his feet cleaned up from necrosis of tissue was warned repeatedly regarding watching his blood sugar and feet and if he did not than it would mean amputation. The guy evidently is not complying to the plan of care. He's not paying the bill. Medicare is. Tax payers are being asked to pay for this man's condition.

A better system is one that regards personal accountability. Issues such as obesity which is prevalent in America is a health not cosmetic issue costing hundreds of thousands of dollars to the health care system. Simply losing weight decreases significantly the incident of just about every chronic health condition such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, coronary heart failure, etc. We aren't designed to carry that much weight.

The Scriptures support capitalism not socialism. Thou shalt not steal. One can not steal what is not there's. The Scriptures talk about accountability. Any system that does not have accountability is bound to fail. Someone is paying. It costs money to train Doctors. Nothing is free.

A better system is one diverse with payers. This gives both choice to the customer and lowers the price due to the competition. The insurance companies won't make as much money but that's okay because the CEOs are currently bringing in multimillion dollar salaries while people can't get healthcare. More competition means less insurance costs to the people. It would cost alot less for health insurance. More people would be able to afford it.

The Vatican has embraced a concept that somehow God favors socialism. According to the Word he favors private property. The problem is not the private property but our coveting. What is ours we are to freely give. The problem is sin.

We are heading to a socialistic healthcare system however. People will get to witness firsthand how it works.

Talk to Physicians and see what they think about it. The overwhelming majority do not like the idea of socialistic healthcare. They know what a disaster Medicare has been. There are little codes to bill for procedures. The whole system ENCOURAGES more spending. It encourages more disease.

And they wonder why healthcare costs are high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Reno (Cold Springs) NV
131 posts, read 221,020 times
Reputation: 159
Any group or individual has the right to express their opinion. And as a religion (faith), they fall outside of the sphere of man made economics or political affiliations, they advocate for what they believe God would agree with (even if it strikes some as liberal or conservative).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 05:06 PM
 
14,747 posts, read 29,205,446 times
Reputation: 8805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop22 View Post
Any group or individual has the right to express their opinion. And as a religion (faith), they fall outside of the sphere of man made economics or political affiliations, they advocate for what they believe God would agree with (even if it strikes some as liberal or conservative).
This is exactly right. I see that this would be the impetus for any position the church holds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top