U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2012, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
7,906 posts, read 8,482,525 times
Reputation: 11600

Advertisements

Exodus 31:12-17 pretty much sums it up. Acts 15 verifies it.


12 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 13 “Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. 14 You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’”

**************
And one might ask: who ar the Children of Israel? We find the answer in the last chapter of Genesis and Exodus 1.
Now these are the names of the children of Israel who came to Egypt; each man and his household came with Jacob: 2 Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah; 3 Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin; 4 Dan, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher. 5 All those who were descendants of Jacob were seventy persons (for Joseph was in Egypt already). 6 And Joseph died, all his brothers, and all that generation. 7 But the children of Israel were fruitful and increased abundantly, multiplied and grew exceedingly mighty; and the land was filled with them.
*************
In Acts 15:5 we read about how the believing Jews insisted that the Gentile believers must be circumsized and keep the Law of Moses:But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses

And finally we see what was decided regarding the Gentile Believers:

22 Then it pleased the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas, namely, Judas who was also named Barsabas,[e] and Silas, leading men among the brethren.
23 They wrote this letter by them:
The apostles, the elders, and the brethren,
To the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia:
Greetings.
24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law”to whom we gave no such commandment— 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Farewell


Nothing said about the need to keep the Law of Moses, which includes the Seventh day Sabbath. So why do some say the Christian must keep the Seventh Day Sabbath, when scripture is clear that it was meant for the Jew and not required of the Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2012, 02:22 PM
 
63 posts, read 61,998 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Exodus 31:12-17 pretty much sums it up. Acts 15 verifies it.


12 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 13 “Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. 14 You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’”

**************
And one might ask: who ar the Children of Israel? We find the answer in the last chapter of Genesis and Exodus 1.
Now these are the names of the children of Israel who came to Egypt; each man and his household came with Jacob: 2 Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah; 3 Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin; 4 Dan, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher. 5 All those who were descendants of Jacob were seventy persons (for Joseph was in Egypt already). 6 And Joseph died, all his brothers, and all that generation. 7 But the children of Israel were fruitful and increased abundantly, multiplied and grew exceedingly mighty; and the land was filled with them.
*************
In Acts 15:5 we read about how the believing Jews insisted that the Gentile believers must be circumsized and keep the Law of Moses:But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses

And finally we see what was decided regarding the Gentile Believers:

22 Then it pleased the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas, namely, Judas who was also named Barsabas,[e] and Silas, leading men among the brethren.
23 They wrote this letter by them:
The apostles, the elders, and the brethren,
To the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia:
Greetings.
24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law”to whom we gave no such commandment— 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Farewell


Nothing said about the need to keep the Law of Moses, which includes the Seventh day Sabbath. So why do some say the Christian must keep the Seventh Day Sabbath, when scripture is clear that it was meant for the Jew and not required of the Christian?
I quoted all of the above because the verses are very important.

How to you see this... Right after Acts 15 we have Paul circumcising a Jew, Timothy:

Act 16:1 Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek:
Act 16:2 Which was well reported of by the brethren that were at Lystra and Iconium.
Act 16:3 Him would Paul have to go forth with him; and took and circumcised him because of the Jews which were in those quarters: for they knew all that his father was a Greek.

The proximity of these passages in Acts may be very important.



But Paul is against circumcising a Gentile, Titus:
Gal_2:3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:

Shalom,
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 PM
 
4,042 posts, read 3,703,008 times
Reputation: 3090
Also


Deuteronomy 5:15

5 And Moses called all Israel, and said to them: “Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your hearing today, that you may learn them and be careful to observe them. 2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, those who are here today, all of us who are alive.





15 And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.




-Pretty much proves the whole point of the day was due to them being slaves and worked constantly all day every day in Egypt.


Ezekiel 20:12-20

New King James Version (NKJV)

12 Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and Me, that they might know that I am the Lord who sanctifies them. 13 Yet the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness; they did not walk in My statutes; they despised My judgments, ‘which, if a man does, he shall live by them’;[a] and they greatly defiled My Sabbaths. Then I said I would pour out My fury on them in the wilderness, to consume them. 14 But I acted for My name’s sake, that it should not be profaned before the Gentiles, in whose sight I had brought them out. 15 So I also raised My hand in an oath to them in the wilderness, that I would not bring them into the land which I had given them, ‘flowing with milk and honey,’[b] the glory of all lands, 16 because they despised My judgments and did not walk in My statutes, but profaned My Sabbaths; for their heart went after their idols. 17 Nevertheless My eye spared them from destruction. I did not make an end of them in the wilderness.
18 “But I said to their children in the wilderness, ‘Do not walk in the statutes of your fathers, nor observe their judgments, nor defile yourselves with their idols. 19 I am the Lord your God: Walk in My statutes, keep My judgments, and do them; 20 hallow My Sabbaths, and they will be a sign between Me and you, that you may know that I am the Lord your God.’


- These verses pretty much backs it up that is was btwn God and the children of Israel under the mosaic covenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
7,906 posts, read 8,482,525 times
Reputation: 11600
I see this (bolded)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tyson View Post
I quoted all of the above because the verses are very important.

How to you see this... Right after Acts 15 we have Paul circumcising a Jew, Timothy:

Act 16:1 Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek:
Act 16:2 Which was well reported of by the brethren that were at Lystra and Iconium.
Act 16:3 Him would Paul have to go forth with him; and took and circumcised him because of the Jews which were in those quarters: for they knew all that his father was a Greek.

The proximity of these passages in Acts may be very important.



But Paul is against circumcising a Gentile, Titus:
Gal_2:3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:

Shalom,
Tom
As any Jew will tell you, one's Jewishness comes thru the mother in cases where you have a mixed marriage (or other reasons)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,235,614 times
Reputation: 837
Default I am considered as one in the family of "the children of Israel"... I am a child of the Living God !...

...I am spiritual Israel ~~~ !!!

Let us consider what Paul taught about the Ten Commandments. Here, Paul clearly states that Jews
and Gentiles have a duty to obey The Ten Commandments under The New Covenant:

"Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but {what matters is}the ***KEEPING OF THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD."*** 1 Cor 7:19 (NAS)

Look! Paul is teaching us that the Jews [circumcision] and Gentiles [uncircumcision] MUST keep the Commandments of God!

Here is another verse:

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: **yea, we establish the law. ** Romans 3:31 (KJV)

Paul taught that we cannot be forgiven (justified) by any law; but once forgiven, we must obey The Ten Commandments. Furthermore, the scriptures teach that if gentiles are not of Israel --then they have no hope ...

"That at that time ye [Gentiles] were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, HAVING NO HOPE, and without God in the world" Eph. 11-12

The New Covenant (that was established with the blood of Christ) is with the house of Israel and the house of Judah:

"For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with **the house of Israel and with the house of Judah**

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; **I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people,**" Heb 8:8-10

THE OLD COVENANT WAS WITH ISRAEL AND WAS WRITTEN IN STONE

THE NEW COVENANT IS WITH ISRAEL AND IS WRITTEN IN THE HEART

BUT THE COMMANDMENTS REMAIN THE SAME

Today, Gentiles and Jews, who have faith in Jesus Christ are the Israel of God. The Ten Commandments (including the Sabbath Commandment) are no longer written on tables of stone, but are now engraved upon the hearts of the people of God.

We MUST obey The Ten Commandments and the teaching of Jesus --and our salvation DOES depend upon that obedience. Jesus Christ, The Judge, gives his last warning to the churches:

"Blessed are they that DO his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie." Rev 22:14-15 (KJV)

Except for a remnant of faithful believers, ancient Israel was cut off from God because of their unbelief * (disobedience). The people who are joined to the New Covenant must never be high-minded and disobey God --for God is no respecter of persons!



Note:
"Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in. Well; because of **unbelief** they were broken off, and thou standest by faith.

Be not highminded, but fear: For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, IF THOU CONTINUE IN HIS GOODNESS: OTHERWISE THOU ALSO SHALT BE CUT OFF. Rom 11:19-22 (KJV)

* unbelief (#570) apaistia = unfaithfulness (disobedience)


Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 1,942,161 times
Reputation: 322
Given to the O.T. Jews only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,235,614 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Given to the O.T. Jews only.
Not so...not according to God's word...you can say whatever you want...it isn't so.


You are blind to the truth...you simply ignore what is written right in front of your face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Location: CentralAlabama
173 posts, read 99,598 times
Reputation: 27
Thank God! Someone who can read and accept God's word rightly divided. I am so often amazed at how some people just ignore the scriptures and try to mix and match to create what they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Exodus 31:12-17 pretty much sums it up. Acts 15 verifies it.


12 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 13 “Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. 14 You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’”

**************
And one might ask: who ar the Children of Israel? We find the answer in the last chapter of Genesis and Exodus 1.
Now these are the names of the children of Israel who came to Egypt; each man and his household came with Jacob: 2 Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah; 3 Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin; 4 Dan, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher. 5 All those who were descendants of Jacob were seventy persons (for Joseph was in Egypt already). 6 And Joseph died, all his brothers, and all that generation. 7 But the children of Israel were fruitful and increased abundantly, multiplied and grew exceedingly mighty; and the land was filled with them.
*************
In Acts 15:5 we read about how the believing Jews insisted that the Gentile believers must be circumsized and keep the Law of Moses:But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses

And finally we see what was decided regarding the Gentile Believers:

22 Then it pleased the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas, namely, Judas who was also named Barsabas,[e] and Silas, leading men among the brethren.
23 They wrote this letter by them:
The apostles, the elders, and the brethren,
To the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia:
Greetings.
24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law”to whom we gave no such commandment— 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Farewell


Nothing said about the need to keep the Law of Moses, which includes the Seventh day Sabbath. So why do some say the Christian must keep the Seventh Day Sabbath, when scripture is clear that it was meant for the Jew and not required of the Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,235,614 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK4J View Post
Thank God! Someone who can read and accept God's word rightly divided. I am so often amazed at how some people just ignore the scriptures and try to mix and match to create what they want.
Moderator cut: delete
Note:
"Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in. Well; because of **unbelief** they were broken off, and thou standest by faith.

Be not highminded, but fear: For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, IF THOU CONTINUE IN HIS GOODNESS: OTHERWISE THOU ALSO SHALT BE CUT OFF. Rom 11:19-22 (KJV)

* unbelief (#570) apaistia = unfaithfulness (disobedience)

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-31-2012 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: a bit over the top insult..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,482 posts, read 31,880,770 times
Reputation: 9409
Heb 8:13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

But of course if someone still chooses to observe sabbath, that's cool, it doesn't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top