Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:49 PM

173 posts, read 134,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: These kinds of nitpicking questions give the impression that God is somehow interested in these worldly carnal issues. He is NOT. His concerns are entirely spiritual . . . NOT carnal or worldly. As plain&simple tried to point out . . . only what is done with sinful intent (he who thinks it unclean) . . . is sin. It is the state of your mind or consciousness that is of concern to God. As long as what you are doing is being done in "Love of God and each other" . . . it cannot be sin, period. Only unloving acts and attitudes are sinful. (The kind of love I am referring to here is agape love . . . not lust or any other lesser version that it is confused with.)
So do you have any good BBQ Pork recipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 06:54 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK4J View Post
So do you have any good BBQ Pork recipes?
My wife does . . . and they are to die for. But even if I knew her secret . . . she would kill me if I revealed it.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:17 PM

173 posts, read 134,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
My wife does . . . and they are to die for. But even if I knew her secret . . . she would kill me if I revealed it.
Of course! That's the mark of true BBQ person. My secret is

Well I cook KCBS style and do a few contest.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:29 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,861,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Not many Christ-like attitudes and responses in this thread at all. Here's my final input. Romans 14:1-23 explains that not everyone is mature enough in the faith to accept the fact that all foods are clean.

The Law of Liberty

1 Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. 2 For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. 3 Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4 Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written:
As I live, says the Lord,
Every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall confess to God.”

12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. 13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way.
The Law of Love

14 I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who serves Christ in these things is acceptable to God and approved by men.
19 Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense. 21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak. 22 Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.
Very well put...All I am trying to say is that when HaShem gave the us the dietary guidence, it was for our own health and at the time He gave it the unclean animals were cleaners of the planet and seas and still are today...Why would anyone want to eat what they eat...It is unhealthy...The clean list is considered food, while the unclean list is considered not to be food...So, I'd say, when it states all food and the fact that most of the early Christians were Jews, It would be safe to assume that they had the clean foods list in mind, because also he differentiates between all things and only vegatables...And I am not judging anyone, just pointing out the distinction between clean and unclean, what is considered food and what is not considered food...My questions are why would HaShem create a category of animals and tell us that those were not to be eaten because they were unclean...Why were they unclean?...HaShem created them with certain appetites and habits that seem to me to exibit a cleaner type...These types still do this today...My question is, if HaShem had indeed made them edible and as food, then why are they still toxic to the human body today?...Because they still serve the function that HaShem created them to perform...Cleaning...Why can we not eat raw pork today, but we can eat raw steak?...Certain types of fishes we can eat raw, but not shrimp?...HaShem could have let us figure what we can eat and what we cannot eat by trial and error, but, instead He gave us a heads up, a guide to healthy eating...Which we try our best to ignore and rake through the Scriptures for something that will gives us the green light on the matter...Even if we have to read into it a meaning that is not there...

Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,861,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Good rebuttal.
Why thank you...

Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 PM

24 posts, read 27,383 times
I do love BBQ. Pork, Chicken and sometimes Beef. I can think of no scriptural reason a Christian should not eat pork. There is no commandment against it what so ever for Christians. So PIG OUT! But be sure to give thanks for it first. After all it is God who gave us the food.
Attached Thumbnails
Should Christians eat BBQ Pork?-pig.jpg  

Old 09-09-2012, 05:37 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,637,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Very well put...All I am trying to say is that when HaShem gave the us the dietary guidence, it was for our own health and at the time He gave it the unclean animals were cleaners of the planet and seas and still are today...Why would anyone want to eat what they eat...It is unhealthy...The clean list is considered food, while the unclean list is considered not to be food...So, I'd say, when it states all food and the fact that most of the early Christians were Jews, It would be safe to assume that they had the clean foods list in mind, because also he differentiates between all things and only vegatables...And I am not judging anyone, just pointing out the distinction between clean and unclean, what is considered food and what is not considered food...My questions are why would HaShem create a category of animals and tell us that those were not to be eaten because they were unclean...Why were they unclean?...HaShem created them with certain appetites and habits that seem to me to exibit a cleaner type...These types still do this today...My question is, if HaShem had indeed made them edible and as food, then why are they still toxic to the human body today?...Because they still serve the function that HaShem created them to perform...Cleaning...Why can we not eat raw pork today, but we can eat raw steak?...Certain types of fishes we can eat raw, but not shrimp?...HaShem could have let us figure what we can eat and what we cannot eat by trial and error, but, instead He gave us a heads up, a guide to healthy eating...Which we try our best to ignore and rake through the Scriptures for something that will gives us the green light on the matter...Even if we have to read into it a meaning that is not there...
I appreciate where you're coming from. What I see in your reply is the desire to honor God's commands. This is a subject that I actually enjoy explaining because of the liberation that comes with it.

To fully understand this issue, it takes looking at the Old Testament times as a whole and not just that particular verse with the ban on pork.

The laws that were given to the Israelites had important reasons behind them. They weren't given to be viewed as rituals to be followed. It was the obedience of those laws that expressed a strong, inward faith in God as well as a respectful fear of Him. God said in Deut. 30 that blessings would follow obedience and curses for disobedience. These were part of the conditional covenant between God and Israel. Obey and be blessed or disobey and be cursed.

The laws given to them were also intended to set them apart from their pagan neighbors. That time period was ripe with idolatry, with people believing in all kinds of gods. The forbidding of eating pork was one of those laws that would be used to later on distinguish between Jews and Gentiles. The dietary restrictions they were given showed that they were a chosen race, set apart for God. This law actually helped them break free from the idolatry that they were prone to. Exodus 32 tells about that.

Another reason for the pork ban (and even the touching of pork) was because swine became well-known for being used in pagan sacrifices to idols. The connection between swine and idol worship was so strong that Isaiah equated the sacrificial offering of pig's blood with murder, both of which were considered abominations. (Isaiah 66:3)

That's what a lot of Christians don't realize. It wasn't just for the hygienic issues. As for the dietary purposes, God was protecting the Israelites. They didn't have the cooking methods to destroy the well known diseases and microscopic pathogens that pork can carry, that other meats like beef and chicken weren't prone to. Leviticus 19:26 shows that it was normal to eat meat that was undercooked or raw, saying that no flesh should be eaten with blood in it. If Christians who don't fully understand this issue are adamant about not eating pork, then they will also be held accountable for this verse, which includes rare, medium rare and (often) medium steak. Sushi and raw fish would be included, as would steak tar tar. The whole of the law must be fulfilled.

By this dietary law, God was providentially protecting Israel from a significant health threat. “If you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you" -- Exodus 15:26.

That's why these dietary laws were given to the Israelites: To set them apart (and disassociate them) from the ritual pagan idol worship and sacrifices, but also to providentially protect them from diseases. These laws were never intended to apply to anyone else other than the Israelites. After this purpose had ended, Jesus said in Mark 7:19 that all foods are clean. In Acts 10:15, God gave the Peter the vision where He declared that previously unclean animals could be eaten: “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean." When Jesus died on the cross, He fulfilled the Old Testament law, which includes the dietary laws of clean and unclean food. Romans 10:4, Ephesians 2:15 and Galatians3:24-26 express this fact.

But, again, if a Christian believes in their heart that these dietary laws are still in effect, they will be held accountable for fulfilling every aspect of them, not just the not eating pork. And they will be sinning if they do not keep these laws, which is sad because we've been liberated by them when Jesus fulfilled the law by dying on the cross.

When you compare that with the New Testament, which is a covenant of grace, it's actually more concerned with how much people eat (gluttony) rather than what they eat. How much we eat is an example of our self-control.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:37 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,526,815 times
Deitary laws had nothing to do with safe eating practices but all to do with obediance. What was good for Noah has always been good. Obediance was what God was after and as simple as that. Spiritual issues are at heart in all that God does and it should be that way for us.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:48 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,526,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Deitary laws had nothing to do with safe eating practices but all to do with obediance. What was good for Noah has always been good. Obediance was what God was after and as simple as that. Spiritual issues are at heart in all that God does and it should be that way for us.
I don't mean we are to go back to those deitary laws but that we should learn to follow Christ in what He has for us today.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:49 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,637,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
I agree that the major point behind the dietary laws was a matter of faith and obedience. Absolutely. But, I think it's a minor point, not worth an argument, that protection from disease was or wasn't possibly part of it due to Exodus 15:26, “If you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you" -- Exodus 15:26.

He is the Lord who heals. He's Jehova-Rapha, so obedience to God's instructions obviously brings healing. It's not a stretch to include healing as part of God's plan with the dietary laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity