Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"This man’s Father, Is my Father’s Son."

If you have a picture of yourself, than it’s you.

How would that possibly work? If "This man" = me, and "My father's son" = me., that would be saying "My father is me". Nonsensical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae
So if the man speaking is a Christian--the ONLY answer would be Jesus Christ--who is both Father and Son.
Nonsense - the Bible never talks about Jesus being both Father and Son.

(and no, the title is Isaiah 9 has nothing to do with God the Father as Jesus repeatedly refers to him in the NT)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
How would that possibly work? If "This man" = me, and "My father's son" = me., that would be saying "My father is me".
Nonsensical.
Correct, it is meaningless to continue.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 AM

473 posts, read 821,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
I'll repeat it--The man speaking could have been pointing to his son and speaking about himself--BUT, if you are a Christian, you are NEVER without brothers and sisters. So if the man speaking is a Christian--the ONLY answer would be Jesus Christ--who is both Father and Son.
Yeshua Bless You

And the moral of the story is---as a Christian we don't point fingers to draw attention to ourselves, we know who God is and where He is. For He walked among His own and His own knew Him not. JOHN 1:10, John 1:1-14
Yeshua Bless You

Old 09-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
And the moral of the story is---as a Christian we don't point fingers to draw attention to ourselves, we know who God is and where He is. For He walked among His own and His own knew Him not. JOHN 1:10, John 1:1-14
Yeshua Bless You
Non-sequiter?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:18 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If, I have no brothers or sisters, the son of my father is me.
THIS is the answer, THIS is the riddle solved!!!!!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 PM

987 posts, read 1,118,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
THIS is the answer, THIS is the riddle solved!!!!!
But THIS MAN's FATHER is my father's son. It can NOT be the speaker himself whose father is his father's son. Does that make sense? If you are talking about your father being THE FATHER (meaning God)'s son then that could make sense but that is not the sense of the riddle. You would then be speaking about something else entirely and the riddle was not presented as religious so the priest scenario is not really viable. The riddle is ordinarily posed as ordinary humans involved and the scenario I posted with 3 human males involved makes the only real sense. A father, who has no blood brothers or sisters points to his son, says, Brothers and sisters have I none, yet 'this man's father" which refers to himself, is my father's son, because, of course, he is his own father's son and yet the father of his son. So the speaker is the middle of the trio, the father of his son but also the son of his own father. I don't see how that is so complicated.

I give up. This riddle has been around since I was a kid, (1950's) and is a logic puzzle, nothing to do with God or Jesus, and the answer was the MAN is the speaker's son. If you want to insert God--ok-- but you can not have it make sense in an ordinary way to have the man's father be your father's son if it was you speaking about yourself. If you said this man, referring to yourself is my father's son, that would make sense, but to say this man's (yourself) father is my father's son, would be saying my father is my father's son and that can't happen no matter how intermarried your family might be. Maybe if time travel was real.....ugh. Now if you want to insert the Trinity, well, I still don't see how that works but whatever floats your (speaking generically, not specifically addressed to the poster I quoted) boat.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Who Am I?
I am Me!

"And this man's father, is the son of my father."

Which, so happens to be ME.
I am my fathers' Son.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Here's a tough one:

David's father has three sons : Snap, Crackle and _____ ?

lol. sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Here's a tough one:

David's father has three sons : Snap, Crackle and _____ ?

lol. sorry, couldn't resist.
Maybe David's children called him "Pop" !

Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Maybe David's children called him "Pop" !
True... true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity