Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,720,893 times

Advertisements

In Israel Finkelstein & Neil Asher Silberman "The Bible Unearthed. Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts" it is shown that based on the finding of modern archaeology first seven books of the bible are largely folklore. In short, the Hebrews were not enslaved or even in Egypt. Instead their origin traces to Canaan as nomadic herdsmen who later became farmers.

If the first seven books of the Bible are indeed folklore, how does this affect the Christian faith?

Last edited by ancient warrior; 09-05-2012 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
In Israel Finkelstein & Neil Asher Silberman "The Bible Unearthed. Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts" it is shown that based on the finding of modern archaeology first seven books of the bible are largely folklore. In short, the Hebrews were not enslaved or even in Egypt. Instead their origin traces to Canaan as nomadic herdsmen who later became farmers.

If the first seven books of the Bible are indeed folklore, how does this affect the Christian faith?
Contrary to the views of liberal and secular scholarship, archaeology has confirmed the historical accuracy of the Bible. Archaeology and the Old Testament.

The JEPD theory concerning the origin of the Pentuach is not valid and is refuted by Jesus Himself who verified that Moses wrote the Pentuach. The JEPD theory was invented by people who cannot or will not believe what God has plainly said. What is the JEDP Theory?

As for the Exodus from Egypt, the Ipuwer Papyrus gives strong attestation to the Exodus. Ipuwer Papyrus | Christian Evidences Ministries

Old 09-05-2012, 02:08 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Were the first seven books of the bible really folklore?
No.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:32 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Contrary to the views of liberal and secular scholarship, archaeology has confirmed the historical accuracy of the Bible. Archaeology and the Old Testament.

The JEPD theory concerning the origin of the Pentuach is not valid and is refuted by Jesus Himself who verified that Moses wrote the Pentuach. The JEPD theory was invented by people who cannot or will not believe what God has plainly said. What is the JEDP Theory?

As for the Exodus from Egypt, the Ipuwer Papyrus gives strong attestation to the Exodus. Ipuwer Papyrus | Christian Evidences Ministries
Many seem to accept almost any secular view or rumor that refutes or contradicts any part of the Bible. Given that, here are a couple of noteworthy quotes by relatively secular sources that contradict the claims cited in the OP source:

*** Nelson Glueck, Past president of the Jewish Theological Seminary in the Hebrew Union College and one of greatest archaeologists ever: "I've been accused of teaching the verbal, plenary inspiration of the Scripture. I want it to be understood that I have never taught this. All I have ever said is that in all of my archaeological investigation I have never found one artifact of antiquity that contradicts any statement of the Word of God."

***Gleason Archer, Harvard Ph.D. (regarding contrast between oldest Masoretic text and Dead Sea Scrolls) : "They proved to be word for word identical with our standard Hebrew Bible in more than 95% of the text. The 5% variation consisted chiefly of obvious slips of the pen and variations in spelling. No variations changed the meaning of the text in any significant way. The fact that both the OT and NT text has been transmitted so accurately is miraculous."

My point is that there have always been Bible detractors and scoffers (like so many cults) intent upon tearing-down God's truth and replacing it with a 'man made doctrine' or position. I suppose the ultimate question as we consider all of these 'sources' is: 'What does each individual accept as their basis for what they will accept as truth?' (printed in a newspaper, told by grandmother, rumored on the news ... or written in God's inspired Word the Bible). As for me and my house, we have chosen God's Word and are not swayed by other contradictory sources.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Many seem to accept almost any secular view or rumor that refutes or contradicts any part of the Bible. Given that, here are a couple of noteworthy quotes by relatively secular sources that contradict the claims cited in the OP source:

*** Nelson Glueck, Past president of the Jewish Theological Seminary in the Hebrew Union College and one of greatest archaeologists ever: "I've been accused of teaching the verbal, plenary inspiration of the Scripture. I want it to be understood that I have never taught this. All I have ever said is that in all of my archaeological investigation I have never found one artifact of antiquity that contradicts any statement of the Word of God."

***Gleason Archer, Harvard Ph.D. (regarding contrast between oldest Masoretic text and Dead Sea Scrolls) : "They proved to be word for word identical with our standard Hebrew Bible in more than 95% of the text. The 5% variation consisted chiefly of obvious slips of the pen and variations in spelling. No variations changed the meaning of the text in any significant way. The fact that both the OT and NT text has been transmitted so accurately is miraculous."

My point is that there have always been Bible detractors and scoffers (like so many cults) intent upon tearing-down God's truth and replacing it with a 'man made doctrine' or position. I suppose the ultimate question as we consider all of these 'sources' is: 'What does each individual accept as their basis for what they will accept as truth?' (printed in a newspaper, told by grandmother, rumored on the news ... or written in God's inspired Word the Bible). As for me and my house, we have chosen God's Word and are not swayed by other contradictory sources.
Many people are not simply skeptical of the Bible but are actually hostile to what God has revealed in His word. It is one of Satan's objectives to continually attack the Bible in whatever way he can. To that end he uses such people, many of whom are readily encountered on this forum and the Religion forum, to further his aims. Such people will grab at anything that they think can be used to discredit the Bible and they will never acknowledge the Bible as the inerrant word of God.

Dr. Archer also said in the forward to his Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties; 'As I have dealt with one apparent discrepancy after another and have studied the alleged contradictions between the biblical record and the evidence of linguistics, archaeology, or science, my confidence in the trustworthiness of Scripture has been repeatedly verified and strengthened by the discovery that almost every problem in Scripture that has ever been discovered by man, from ancient times until now, has been dealt with in a completely satisfactory manner by the biblical text itself---or else by objective archaelogical information. The deductions that may be validly drawn from ancient Egyptian, Sumerian, or Akkadian documents all harmonize with the biblical record; and no properly trained evangelical scholar has anything to fear from the hostile arguments and challenges of humanistic rationalists or detractors of any and every persuasion.' [By way of Josh McDowell's 'The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict'., p. 46.]

I as well have chosen God's word and understand that the attacks upon it from the many who are skeptical and/or antagonistic toward it originate with Satan.

Last edited by Michael Way; 09-05-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Many people are not simply skeptical of the Bible but are actually hostile to what God has revealed in His word.
So true.

Folk have been at it for 300 years and still haven't got to firsts base.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So true.

The Bible will survive every attack against it, no matter the form of attack.

Excerpt:
No other book has been so attacked throughout history as the Bible. In A.D. 300 the Roman emperor Diocletian ordered every Bible burned because he thought that by destroying the Scriptures he could destroy Christianity. Anyone caught with a Bible would be executed. But just 25 years later, the Roman emperor Constantine ordered that 50 perfect copies of the Bible be made at government expense. The French philosopher Voltaire, a skeptic who destroyed the faith of many people, boasted that within 100 years of his death, the Bible would disappear from the face of the earth. Voltaire died in 1728, but the Bible lives on. The irony of history is that 50 years after his death, the Geneva Bible Society moved into his former house and used his printing presses to print thousands of Bibles.
The Evidence Bible

Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:

RESPONSE:

Please cite the archaelogical "evidence" consisting of artifacts and records that there were Hebrew slaves in Egypt prior to 1000 BC. or that they spent 40 years in the desert.

>> Refruted by Jesus himself<<?????? Let me guess. Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible because somebody writing the New Testament claimed Jesus had said so. Is that your proof? On the other hand, Genesis 36 tells us that:
"These are the kings who ruled in the land of Edom before a king ruled the children of Israel."
This logically had to be written after Israel had it's first king about 1000 BC. Moses is said to have died about 1400 BC or four hundred years befoe Israel had a king. He couldn't have written Genesis 36, could he?

We only have a copy of the Ipuwer Papyrus which describes the Hyksos in Egypt. This tribe controlled Egypt for a time before they were driven out. They were NOT the Hebrews.

If Hebrews were in Egypt for 400 years and had risen to 2,300,000 (including 600,000 warriors) and had spent 40 years in the desert, there would be some archaelogical foot print. There isn't.

The first mention of the Hebrews seems to be the Merneptah Stele which has Hebrew nomadic herdsman already settled in Canaan in about 1200 BC. About 250 to 300 of their camps have been found there. None have weapons.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So true.

RESPONSE:

Perhaps they are angry because they have been deceived by folklore posing as history.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:35 PM

[quote=Mike555;25962019]The Bible will survive every attack against it, no matter the form of attack.

RESPONSE:

And the Epic of Gilgemesh is from about 2750-2500 BC . Does that make it a true story of the god EA?(Part of it, the Flood story, is a Hebrew version of this epic story).

It has survived every attempt against it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity