Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,260 times

Advertisements

i am a christian. i have been saved for 7 years and until lately was in fellowship regularly. my 19 year old christian daughter was "caught" having an affair with a married man...he has left his wife and child for her...my pastor told me that i was to have nothing to do with her...to cut her out of my life completely until she repents and leaves him...i am not happy with the decision she has made, i have told her that this is not what god wants for her...i cut her out of my life as the pastor instructed (7 months now) and just prior to him telling me to leave the church he told me that i should reach out to her...i did...and now i am being shunned by the members in the church for spending time with her...i guess i should also mention that the guy in question is/was the pastor's son in law...i would be greatful for some direction re: what scripture and God has to say about how i am to treat my daughter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedchristianmom View Post
i am a christian. i have been saved for 7 years and until lately was in fellowship regularly. my 19 year old christian daughter was "caught" having an affair with a married man...he has left his wife and child for her...my pastor told me that i was to have nothing to do with her...to cut her out of my life completely until she repents and leaves him...i am not happy with the decision she has made, i have told her that this is not what god wants for her...i cut her out of my life as the pastor instructed (7 months now) and just prior to him telling me to leave the church he told me that i should reach out to her...i did...and now i am being shunned by the members in the church for spending time with her...i guess i should also mention that the guy in question is/was the pastor's son in law...i would be greatful for some direction re: what scripture and God has to say about how i am to treat my daughter...
I don't care what your pastor tells you. I don't care what the other members of your church tell you. I'm not even sure you're going to get a definitive answer from the scriptures. Ask God directly and listen to what He tells you. I can just about guarantee that the Holy Ghost will direct you to do everything within your power to salvage the relationship with your daughter, regardless of what she has done. (My daughter did something quite similar, so I do have a pretty good idea how hard this is on you.) Families are important to God and He doesn't want yours destroyed because your daughter messed up, even if she's still involved with the man. That was the decision I made and I've never regretted it. Good luck and God bless.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Please do not let other people control your relationships. Especially with your daughter. Tomorrow is NOT guaranteed. Your daughter needs you.
Nevermind those people who would have the AUDACITY to "shun" you!

peace,
sparrow

Old 08-16-2010, 08:46 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Find a new church fast. What kind of church are you in now?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:49 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
The part I agree with is telling her that her decision is wrong and not what God wants for her, cutting her out of life, DON'T DO IT!!! No wonder the pastor told you do that since it was his daughters husband, but that is not Biblical advise. I was in a relationship for 16 years my mother did not approve of, and she told me so several times, but never ever did she cut out of her life or shun me. Eventfully I did change and my relationship with my mother did not suffer, but grew stronger. Be there for her, pray for her, but do NOT shun her!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,648 times
This pastor is a jerk and so are the church members. Be glad that they shuned you..they did you a favor. I myself don`t want to have anything to do with people like this.The pastor was closely tied to this situation so he couldn`t even give you an unbiased opinion.

Just keep loving your daughter and do spend time with her. Loving her doesn`t mean that you will agree with her decisions in life. I wouldn`t talk about her affair to her because it`s obvious that she intent on keeping this relationship right now. Talking about it wouldn`t do any good. She has to come to a point herself were she realizes that what she is doing is wrong.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,653 times
I agree with everyone. God says that He will never leave us nor forsake us, and He's our heavenly Father, so I don't think He would want any parent to leave or forsake their child.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
I guess you could be considered the biological male parent, but in no sense should you be considered her father if you follow what is basically a strangers advice.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:04 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,498 times
Hate the sin, love the sinner.

Gently tell your daughter, if he will
cheat for her, he will cheat on her.

~l~

Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,328 times
Quote:
i am a christian. i have been saved for 7 years and until lately was in fellowship regularly. my 19 year old christian daughter was "caught" having an affair with a married man...he has left his wife and child for her...my pastor told me that i was to have nothing to do with her...to cut her out of my life completely until she repents and leaves him
You have GOT to be kidding! As much as I love the leaders where I attend, if they said that to me, they would be suspect until the repented to me. That is ridiculous!

Quote:
...i am not happy with the decision she has made, i have told her that this is not what god wants for her...i cut her out of my life as the pastor instructed (7 months now) and just prior to him telling me to leave the church he told me that i should reach out to her...i did...and now i am being shunned by the members in the church for spending time with her...i guess i should also mention that the guy in question is/was the pastor's son in law...i would be greatful for some direction re: what scripture and God has to say about how i am to treat my daughter...
Seriously, you need to pack up your colorbooks and paperdolls and quit playing at this playground!

Our children are gifts from G-d, specifically chosen for us (that's scriptural). Anyone who will not see to a child's welfare first is worse than an infidel (that's scriptural).

We are given as parents to these specific children, to represent G-d to them. As ling as your daughter has life, there is hope for her, and she needs love from you as the G-d-representing parent.

I will ask you a question to which I know your answer: When you err, does G-d kick you to the curb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity