Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:30 PM

28 posts, read 53,368 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I usually have good discussions with a fellow coworker about religion. He voices his opinions which are pretty much what almost anyone would call conservative. I consider myself middle of the road.

One issue I have a problem with is his views on personal relationships. He keeps mentioning that his pastor talks about eliminating bad influences. According to him, even those who lead an otherwise normal life but havent been 'saved' are bad influences. If friends have get togethers, he will not go because there may be alcohol and that is wrong and will eventually sever those ties.

My argument to him is, arent you supposed to be the good influence. Isnt this your chance to help others? He doesnt see it this way.

Any opinions?

Last edited by matseu; 09-10-2012 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: added word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matseu View Post
Hello,

I usually have good discussions with a fellow coworker about religion. He voices his opinions which are pretty much what almost anyone would call conservative. I consider myself middle of the road.

One issue I have a problem with is his views on personal relationships. He keeps mentioning that his pastor talks about eliminating bad influences. According to him, even those who lead an otherwise normal life but havent been 'saved' are bad influences. If friends have get togethers, he will not go because that is wrong and will eventually sever those ties.

My argument to him is, arent you supposed to be the good influence. Isnt this your chance to help others? He doesnt see it this way.

Any opinions?
Your co-worker isn't just conservative, he's a fundamentalist.

Pity him.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Quote:
Hello,

One issue I have a problem with is his views on personal relationships. He keeps mentioning that his pastor talks about eliminating bad influences. According to him, even those who lead an otherwise normal life but havent been 'saved' are bad influences. If friends have get togethers, he will not go because there may be alcohol and that is wrong and will eventually sever those ties.

Any opinions?
Good Morning matseu.

I would say that you should just be a good influence for him...accept him and try to understand how he feels about certain things and just be his friend. God will take care of him.

He doesn't have to, nor should he, "party" with those who do...as a matter of fact, it is best for him that he does not...he may know something about himself that you do not know...and he may not want that type of influence in his life...which is not a bad thing at all.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:14 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Hello,

Any opinions?
I still talk to my non Christian friends, but once they realize you are a Christian you stop getting phone calls a lot of the time. They know what it means. Values change. You're no longer on the same page. So often times things will work their way out and you won't get invited to parties.

It's not good to cut ties entirely though. Be there for your old friends just let them know you don't want to be around that and that you're values have changed. To dump them off is coming off with a self righteous "better than thou" attitude. It shows what kind of friend you were to them. Our first ministry is reaching out to those we know. Love is the great commandment. We might be their only portal for receiving the truth.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
We are not drinkers overall, an occassional beer here and there but nothing over the top and we both believe in God and we go to gatherings where there is liquor and see no problem with it at all. We choose not to drink most of the time which is our choice but we certainly don't have an issue socializing with friends who have a couple beers either. In my opinion he is over the top fundamentally and does not truly accept others as they are. It is like worrying (from another thread) about being a server in a restaurant that serves liquor that you as a server are helping other destroy their lives and turn away from God just because they ordered a glass of wine and you brought it to them because it is your job as a server.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I still talk to my non Christian friends, but once they realize you are a Christian you stop getting phone calls a lot of the time. They know what it means. Values change. You're no longer on the same page. So often times things will work their way out and you won't get invited to parties.

It's not good to cut ties entirely though. Be there for your old friends just let them know you don't want to be around that and that you're values have changed. To dump them off is coming off with a self righteous "better than thou" attitude. It shows what kind of friend you were to them. Our first ministry is reaching out to those we know. Love is the great commandment. We might be their only portal for receiving the truth.

I agree. I think there are both sides to it, convictions and discernment. Sometime Christians lack discernment or either convictions that will help them understand their situation.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:25 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Hello,

Any opinions?
Some Christians believe that they should only maintain fellowship with other Christians, to help prevent unneeded exposure to temptation and sin. In there defense, there can be cause for moderation if the secular friends (be they athiest, agnostic, non-practiving Christian, or whoever) is going to drunken orgy parties or something, it may be best for the Christian not to go. On the other hand, one must be careful not to hide from the world either. No Christian is going to fight for God's kingdom while hiding from the World in the basement of their church.

One question. Is he a new Fundamental Christian? Many fundamental pastors and churches will want new Christians to limit their worldly contacts initially, until they are able to more strongly defend their faith within the world.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:00 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,486 times
i have learned that most church friends were friends while you were at church. stop attending and they are no longer friends. what kind of friend is that?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,378,237 times
Isolationist style Fundamentalism does more harm than good and I don't even believe its biblical. There is nothing about drinking alcohol in controllable volumes, Jesus preached in bars and in dangerous places, and also turned water into wine. Don't hide your light under a bush; or in Church for that matter.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Without knowing much about the behavior in question, perhaps your friend is attempting to follow Scripture.

James 1

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity