Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,874,868 times

Advertisements

If Jesus were to ask you "Who Do You Say I Am" what would you say?

I'm tutoring some 8th grades and they are faced with this question, I'd like to know myself honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 06:31 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,428,390 times
probably something to the effect of: "My Lord, you are Christ, true God. Forgive me for my many sins."

Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,241,801 times
I think Peter said it best....

You are the Christ, the son of the living God.

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 16:15-17

Old 09-12-2012, 06:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,183,964 times
"The way, truth, and life that is within me."

Old 09-12-2012, 08:31 PM

8,098 posts, read 6,846,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"The way, truth, and life that is within me."

Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 PM

20,387 posts, read 12,660,888 times
"My Savior & my God!"

Old 09-12-2012, 10:28 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,636,596 times
The very first thing that came to mind was actually a combination of two of the answers already given.

You are the Christ. The Son of the Living God. My Savior and my God.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,368,643 times
I think I would be in such awe that all my theological and biblical knowledge as well as my seasoned christianese would just go out the window and I'd say something like: " um...you're like that...guy whose dad or... um.. you is God and..um..died on a cross..for um..Dude you rule!!" Do any of you really thing you would do that much better?

Old 09-13-2012, 01:05 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,636,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
I think I would be in such awe that all my theological and biblical knowledge as well as my seasoned christianese would just go out the window and I'd say something like: " um...you're like that...guy whose dad or... um.. you is God and..um..died on a cross..for um..Dude you rule!!" Do any of you really thing you would do that much better?
Better than "Dude you rule!!" ??? Yes. It's not "christianese," it's holy scripture. When you have a real, daily, intimate relationship with Him, and abide daily in the scriptures, the scriptures become your language because they become a part of you; part of your first nature.

Deuteronomy 11:18, “And if you will indeed obey my commandments…You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes."

Psalm 119:11, “I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.”

Do you really think you'd say, "Dude you rule"? He's not "dude." He's not "bro," "homeboy," or "buddy." He's holy and to be reverenced and feared.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,368,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Better than "Dude you rule!!" ??? Yes. It's not "christianese," it's holy scripture. When you have a real, daily, intimate relationship with Him, and abide daily in the scriptures, the scriptures become your language because they become a part of you; part of your first nature.

Deuteronomy 11:18, “And if you will indeed obey my commandments…You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes."

Psalm 119:11, “I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.”

Do you really think you'd say, "Dude you rule"? He's not "dude." He's not "bro," "homeboy," or "buddy." He's holy and to be reverenced and feared.
Oh lighten up "dude!" I'm sure he's a lot more "hip" is his talk than you or I are. Heavenly hip is the hippest of all! You or I would be lucky to be able to say anything brilliant in his presence and that's the point I was trying to make with a little late night attempt at humor. Sorry if you didn't think it was funny or it rubbed you the wrong way, but I'm not here to score "holiest response points" and the key word in that post was "awe," which is all probably the biggest emotion I would be feeling at the time and might mess with my intellect a bit

And Christianese is not necessarily based on scripture. Its more based on Christian intellectual catch phrases with some biblical basis that no one can understand but us and confuses or annoys the heck out of non-christians. I've seen many Christians automatically resort to Christianese as a default response in Christian conversations perhaps just out of habit. That's the only reason I mentioned it...Oh yeah, I am also his "Bro" in his in his own words (Matthew 12:46-50) in at least one sense and so are you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity