U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:51 AM

25,120 posts, read 13,209,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Newsflash .........
A scrap of papyrus is found, which reads: "Satan is a liar. "

breaking news...........
Another scrap of papyrus is found, which reads: "Satan has an audience, some that even write."

wait a minute, this just in....
Yet another scrap of papyrus is found, which reads:
"For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie"

Did you miss the other news flash were a scrap was found stating that it was God who rebelled against Satan and took over heaven?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Key word is "suggest", many things are suggest until proven.
How's the word "theory" grab you instead?...

Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
God has redeemed souls with him in Heaven.
No HaShem does not...Not until after the Day of Resurrection...

Old 09-19-2012, 08:03 AM

32,566 posts, read 7,809,456 times
Thanks for all the posts folks. Enjoyed reading them.

I though this was a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
On the cross, Jesus made sure that John knew he was to take care of Jesus' mother after his death. It seems sort of odd that nothing was mentioned about 'his wife' if there was one. I would be surprised if he were married, tradition or not, seeing as he seemed to be constantly travelling and told one would-be disciple that he owned nothing. If he was a carpenter, it's not likely he studied to be a rabbi the way the more formal rabbis studies, he astounded the rabbis at age 12, it seems to me. I suspect he was called Rabbi more because of his astounding knowledge than an earned title.

I would think it's mere speculation to think he might have been married. It wouldn't change my faith, however, to find out he did marry.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
He also didn't need to be taken to the temple and circumcised, but as with so many other things he obeyed the commandments of the NT.

uke 2:21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called Jesus, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

22 And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord;
He took Himself to the Temple???...Wow!...That is some feat for a 8 day old baby..."Hey, Rabbi, I'm here for my bris...Just a little of the top, please!"...You mean the OT, don't you?...

Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 AM

28,906 posts, read 44,229,146 times
Really, does it matter? If we found definitive proof that Christ was married would it matter one whit?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Because something was not mentioned does not mean it was not. Omission is not proof.

But it does strike me as odd that if he wasn't married it is not mentioned, as that would have been quite an abnormality for that era. It would almost be necessary for him to explain why he wasn't married, if he was going to be accepted by people of that time.

There were things written that indicate Jesus(as) was married. For example the suppressed "Gospel of Thomas" for one. Another thing is in several places Jesus(as) is called Rabbi. In that era it was required for a Rabbi to be married.

I have no reason to believe Jesus(as) was married nor any reason to believe he wasn't. I do not know if he was or wasn't either possibility may be true. Just my opinion
Yes sir, it was...I'm not tyrin' to poke the bear here, but maybe it wasn't mentioned because He was married and since it was normal for that day to be married if you were a Rabbi, why bring it up at all?...Now, if He wasn't married, then I would assume that the Rabbis would have questioned Him on that, asking Him what right did He have to call Himself or allow anyone to call Him Rabbi, because He was not married and for a man to be a Rabbi, he had to be married...

Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 AM

10,589 posts, read 10,039,728 times
Old Orthodox Christianity is based in more reality than modern sects. When they mention the brothers or sisters or Christ..they mean brothers- siblings. This was a given in orthodoxy...When Jesus made himself at home with Martha and her sister...it was his home for a while...There is mention of Christ perturbing his followers because he enjoyed kissing a particular female on the lips...Christ was divine...and was also God in human form...come to earth to live out a human existence- To infer that if there was a woman in his life made him less divine is absurd.

Who was his female partner in life is not clear. Formal religion wanted to demean common mankind by insisting that because they reproduce that they are less than an eternal being..that sex was dirty- and that woman were evil- this is a lot of crap..also- those that insist Mary his mother never had sex with her husband is also absurd. Many think that the conception of Jesus ...was the emaculate conception....look it up in the dictionary- It was the conception of the perfect woman- It was the conception of Mary his mother- who in turn bore the perfect child.

The conception of Mary was done in pure love- the conception of Jesus was also done in pure love which is the Holy Spirit...I don't believe that Jesus had much respect for religious marriage or marriage through the power of the state. I believe he loved his fellow men and dearly loved woman...and knew they were not responsible for original sin - nor should they be persecuted for the decision Adam made...the age long persecution of woman has only made life on earth worse than it should be.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 AM

416 posts, read 331,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Old Orthodox Christianity is based in more reality than modern sects. When they mention the brothers or sisters or Christ..they mean brothers- siblings. This was a given in orthodoxy...When Jesus made himself at home with Martha and her sister...it was his home for a while...There is mention of Christ perturbing his followers because he enjoyed kissing a particular female on the lips...Christ was divine...and was also God in human form...come to earth to live out a human existence- To infer that if there was a woman in his life made him less divine is absurd.

Who was his female partner in life is not clear. Formal religion wanted to demean common mankind by insisting that because they reproduce that they are less than an eternal being..that sex was dirty- and that woman were evil- this is a lot of crap..also- those that insist Mary his mother never had sex with her husband is also absurd. Many think that the conception of Jesus ...was the emaculate conception....look it up in the dictionary- It was the conception of the perfect woman- It was the conception of Mary his mother- who in turn bore the perfect child.

The conception of Mary was done in pure love- the conception of Jesus was also done in pure love which is the Holy Spirit...I don't believe that Jesus had much respect for religious marriage or marriage through the power of the state. I believe he loved his fellow men and dearly loved woman...and knew they were not responsible for original sin - nor should they be persecuted for the decision Adam made...the age long persecution of woman has only made life on earth worse than it should be.
Do you have ANY Biblical support for all of that stuff? There is nothing in scripture to indicate that he was married.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 AM

11,821 posts, read 9,585,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Because something was not mentioned does not mean it was not. Omission is not proof.
Good point ....just because something was not mentioned does not mean it was not. Omission is not proof.
How about the written accounts that Muhammad married a 6 year girl and waited to have sex till she was 9 year old ?

As you pointed out .... there were things written about Muhammad's sexual antics, let alone the sexual antics of some clerics by showing relative mercy on underage girls by advocating a process known as "thighing".

Last edited by twin.spin; 09-19-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity