U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,307 posts, read 11,114,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeslittlemysteries
A Harvard historian has identified a faded, fourth-century scrap of papyrus she calls "The Gospel of Jesus's Wife." One line of the torn fragment of text purportedly reads: "Jesus said to them, 'My wife …'" The following line states, "she will be able to be my disciple."
The finding was announced to the public today (Sept. 18) by Karen King, a historian of early Christianity, author of several books about new Gospel discoveries and the Hollis professor of divinity at Harvard Divinity School. King first examined the privately owned fragment in 2011, and has since been studying it with the help of a small group of scholars............ full article at Jesus had a wife, newly discovered gospel suggests - Yahoo! News
This is one more piece of evidence, though none of the evidence is overwhelming. I've believed Jesus had a wife simply because it was commanded in the OT to marry. If he hadn't been married for at least a little while, the Jews would have considered him to be actively living in sin! I suspect that the real reason Jesus went out into the desert to fast and pray, might have been because of his wife dying - but that's sheer speculation.

Why wasn't his wife mentioned? Well there have been several extracanonical writings that suggested a spouse for him, notably the Gospel of Mary Magdalene: http://gnosis.org/library/marygosp.htm.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 PM

19,517 posts, read 18,759,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
This is one more piece of evidence, though none of the evidence is overwhelming. I've believed Jesus had a wife simply because it was commanded in the OT to marry. If he hadn't been married for at least a little while, the Jews would have considered him to be actively living in sin! I suspect that the real reason Jesus went out into the desert to fast and pray, might have been because of his wife dying - but that's sheer speculation.

Why wasn't his wife mentioned? Well there have been several extracanonical writings that suggested a spouse for him, notably the Gospel of Mary Magdalene.
While I don't believe we have any compelling evidence that Jesus was married, I believe that He may have been, and am kind of amused to hear people suggest that this notion is nothing short of heretical.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:25 PM

6,079 posts, read 8,891,634 times
If Jesus was married, he would have said so in the Bible. And he doesn't. Therefore, it's complete false. And Jesus was God in the flesh. He never had to have a wife. At least an earthly one. He was the savior and God of all mankind. The church is his wife. That's why we are waiting for him to come back and take us to the wedding banquet in Heaven (which is literal btw). The church is the bride of Christ and we will be reunited with the groom when he gets us and takes us to Heaven.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
If Jesus was married, he would have said so in the Bible. And he doesn't. Therefore, it's complete false. And Jesus was God in the flesh. He never had to have a wife. At least an earthly one. He was the savior and God of all mankind. The church is his wife. That's why we are waiting for him to come back and take us to the wedding banquet in Heaven (which is literal btw). The church is the bride of Christ and we will be reunited with the groom when he gets us and takes us to Heaven.
If Jesus had never mentioned urinating in the Bible then did it not happen? I'm not trying to be crude, but there are lots of things he did that weren't mentioned. I'll bet he ate cucumbers too, they were a popular vegetable.

All the apostles had wives (again, the OT commanded that) and yet they weren't mentioned (except for maybe one passing reference to Peter's wife, iirc). It's simply a fact that women weren't commonly mentioned in the writings of that time. However it would have been truly newsworthy if he had NOT been married, the gospels would have made a huge deal out of that and the clashes that would have occurred!

Remember that a wife WAS mentioned for Jesus in books that were rejected by early bishops to be included in the canon. The "canon" is those books that were considered by early Catholic bishops to be the perfect word of God. The books you know as the New Testament didn't just fly together one day, they were assembled over a period of centuries by bishops deciding which of the huge mass of available texts were the real thing, fit to be placed in the Bible. You may choose to believe that their decisions were perfect, but I don't.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM

11,436 posts, read 9,065,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeslittlemysteries
A Harvard historian has identified a faded, fourth-century scrap of papyrus she calls "The Gospel of Jesus's Wife." One line of the torn fragment of text purportedly reads: "Jesus said to them, 'My wife '" The following line states, "she will be able to be my disciple."
The finding was announced to the public today (Sept. 18) by Karen King, a historian of early Christianity, author of several books about new Gospel discoveries and the Hollis professor of divinity at Harvard Divinity School. King first examined the privately owned fragment in 2011, and has since been studying it with the help of a small group of scholars............ full article at Jesus had a wife, newly discovered gospel suggests - Yahoo! News
Newsflash .........
A scrap of papyrus is found, which reads: "Satan is a liar. "

breaking news...........
Another scrap of papyrus is found, which reads: "Satan has an audience, some that even write."

wait a minute, this just in....
Yet another scrap of papyrus is found, which reads:
"For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie"

Old 09-18-2012, 06:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,661,024 times
Key word is "suggest", many things are suggest until proven.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM

6,079 posts, read 8,891,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If Jesus had never mentioned urinating in the Bible then did it not happen? I'm not trying to be crude, but there are lots of things he did that weren't mentioned. I'll bet he ate cucumbers too, they were a popular vegetable.
Well first of all, God mentions plenty of things in the Bible such as urination, defecation, ovulation, sperm, menstruation, and a plethora of other similar things throughout the Bible so we obviously know people did it. Second of all, peeing and eating cucumber is completely irrelevant to the big picture of not only his testimony but to humanity's purpose. Third, God mentioned marriage numerous times in the Bible. Why would he leave out his OWN marriage out of all the things when he continually testified to us what his son did for humanity and how we should follow him? He would never leave that gigantic fact out the Bible if that were so. AND if your theory of his marriage is true, it would be repeated throughout the Bible. EVERYTHING Jesus said in the Bible has been repeated at least twice in different passages. So it doesn't make sense that they would remove that fat elephant from the Bible and have it appear nowhere else. Just face the facts, he didn't have a wife. He was God in three persons. He never needed one and never will. We ARE his wife. The church is the wife. That's why he refers to us as the bride of Christ. That's us Christians.

Last edited by allenk893; 09-18-2012 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 07:28 PM

19,517 posts, read 18,759,116 times
Quote:
If Jesus was married, he would have said so in the Bible. And he doesn't. Therefore, it's complete false.
To me, this is an entirely irrational statement. After all, according to John 21:25, "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written." Maybe Jesus got married, maybe he didn't. Either way, it wouldn't mean He was any less our Savior or any less the Son of God. Jesus' ministry was roughly three years in length. How comprehensive is our record of what He said and did during those three years? Not very, if you stop to think about it. Each of the four gospel accounts of His life covers something like 50 pages or less, and the majority of the events mentioned in one gospel are mentioned in two or three of the others, so there's lots and lots of repetition. It's hard for me to imagine that in three years, He said and did only those things that were mentioned in our Bibles today. That would mean that the vast majority of His time would have been spent in talking about and doing some pretty insignificant stuff and that He spent almost no time at all teaching or doing the really important stuff. My feelings are that His ministry was packed with significant events and teachings, and that what we have today accounts for a relatively small amount of what was really said and done.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-18-2012 at 07:43 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 PM

7,698 posts, read 6,225,919 times
All kinds of silliness written about Jesus, today and in 400AD. None of those writting are authoritative, as they were not one of the 12. What kind of proof would anyone have, writting 400 years after the fact about previous events.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
........Third, God mentioned marriage numerous times in the Bible. Why would he leave out his OWN marriage out of all the things when he continually testified to us what his son did for humanity and how we should follow him? He would never leave that gigantic fact out the Bible if that were so. AND if your theory of his marriage is true, it would be repeated throughout the Bible. EVERYTHING Jesus said in the Bible has been repeated at least twice in different passages. So it doesn't make sense that they would remove that fat elephant from the Bible and have it appear nowhere else. ....
You've got it completely backwards. It was ASSUMED that men were married, that was a commandment in the early bible. It wasn't a choice like it is today: "gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."

If he had NOT been married, it would have been trumpeted throughout the NT, since it would have been seen as a sin by all the Jews encountered. "Why are you not married like all other men?" would have been a very common question to that adult male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity