U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM

4,488 posts, read 4,212,297 times
Default Are the Westboro Baptist Church correct?

Arguably the most controversial group in the United States, the Westboro Baptist Church are known for their outlandish, unethical, and often hateful messages that they spread through various tactics, notably by protesting. In addition, the group is known for their anti-LGBT views, which has sparked denouncement from a vast majority of Christian institutions. I was dumbfounded as to how someone could think like that. I decided to do some research, and much to my surprise, I could see how someone could interpret it in such a way. Are the Westboro Baptist Church correct? Does God hate gay people? It seems that in several instances, implications of prejudices are very evident.
  • The one scripture that struck me the most was Leviticus 20:13. This is a scripture that many fundamentalist Christians use to reaffirm that homosexuality is wrong. Yet with that in mind, they assert that God loves them despite their sin. Why would God love a group of people and simultaneously call for the death of them?
  • God said that He would never send the people He loved to hell. Homosexuality is one of the sins in the Bible that will hinder a person from getting into heaven. Doesn't that contravene the very notion that "God loves everyone"? Furthermore, if God loved homosexuals, wouldn't they be going to heaven?
  • 1 Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that you cannot be a Christian and a homosexual simultaneously. God views homosexuality as a perversion of the natural order. Given that many gay people assert that their orientation is involuntary, does this mean that all homosexuals are inherently going to burn in hell no matter what?

I was raised in a Protestant Christian home, but ever since I have come to terms with my sexuality (at age 13), I find myself straying away from Christianity and the very principles that my parents raised me with. My sexual orientation is something that is beyond my control. Whether you agree with it or not, is beside the point. I guess you could conclude that I am at a point in my life where I am spiritually "dead", because I've been searching for the right answer and have still not gotten it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,032,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I was raised in a Protestant Christian home, but ever since I have come to terms with my sexuality (at age 13), I find myself straying away from Christianity and the very principles that my parents raised me with. My sexual orientation is something that is beyond my control. Whether you agree with it or not, is beside the point. I guess you could conclude that I am at a point in my life where I am spiritually "dead", because I've been searching for the right answer and have still not gotten it.
I saw Westboro Baptist Church on the thread title. Knee jerk reaction: hick and unenlightened! They have violated Christianity's number one precept: "love one another as I have loved you," which is NOT an easy thing to do. I had a friend who used to say "God loves you, doesn't mean I have to," for people he found irritating. I found that funny and, sometimes, I think of that when I come across someone I find objectionable. However, Westboro preaches hate. How valid is that? It's not. At all.

If the Christian churches are divided on the issue of sexuality, even within the individual sects themselves, then there really is no answer and just live your life trying to do something positive with it. I think the only people destined for hell are those who are severely and unilaterally maliciously vile, and such people are truly few and far between.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 PM

2,258 posts, read 792,166 times
Quote:
Arguably the most controversial group in the United States, the Westboro Baptist Church are known for their outlandish, unethical, and often hateful messages that they spread through various tactics, notably by protesting. In addition, the group is known for their anti-LGBT views, which has sparked denouncement from a vast majority of Christian institutions. I was dumbfounded as to how someone could think like that. I decided to do some research, and much to my surprise, I could see how someone could interpret it in such a way. Are the Westboro Baptist Church correct? Does God hate gay people? It seems that in several instances, implications of prejudices are very evident.
  • The one scripture that struck me the most was Leviticus 20:13. This is a scripture that many fundamentalist Christians use to reaffirm that homosexuality is wrong. Yet with that in mind, they assert that God loves them despite their sin. Why would God love a group of people and simultaneously call for the death of them?
  • God said that He would never send the people He loved to hell. Homosexuality is one of the sins in the Bible that will hinder a person from getting into heaven. Doesn't that contravene the very notion that "God loves everyone"? Furthermore, if God loved homosexuals, wouldn't they be going to heaven?
  • 1 Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that you cannot be a Christian and a homosexual simultaneously. God views homosexuality as a perversion of the natural order. Given that many gay people assert that their orientation is involuntary, does this mean that all homosexuals are inherently going to burn in hell no matter what?
It does not matter what the sin is, all without Christ are subject to sin of one kind or another. Even Paul spoke of his sin when without Christ but He found the answer in Christ by receiving of the Spirit to be in and then doing Gods will through the ability/grace that God gives daily for the asking. A person on their own may agree with the law of God but flesh desires over power the mind and spirit of fallen man. Being "born again" is the spiritual strength/grace given to overcome the sin. There is an enemy that does lie and seeks to turn you from the truth. Beware, seek the truth and you shall find.

Paul said " I die daily [by grace to self/wrong fleshly desires]" No man can do that on his own. As Jesus put it, "I would that you be hot or cold." Why? Because God can not deal with those who pretend Godliness. The hot know where they stand and the cold do also and have hope in Gods' mercy because they know they need to change but the lukewarm? Who can deal with pride and self deception?

Paul in the following Scriptures speak of the problem of sin in the present tense because he had to put on the whole armor of Grace and Truth daily so as to not fall backward.
ROM 7:22-25 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself [if without Christ] serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
ROM 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:14 PM

583 posts, read 255,980 times
God never called for the death of homosexuals.
God said that there actions would lead naturally to their death.
that they were killing themselves

Old 09-20-2012, 01:02 AM

14,755 posts, read 14,032,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
God never called for the death of homosexuals.
God said that there actions would lead naturally to their death.
that they were killing themselves
Are you talking a physical or spiritual death?
If they don't catch a fatal disease as a result of sex, which actually is NOT limited to one demographic, then how are they killing themselves?
Most likely, they'll then go from a heart attack, stroke, cancer, diabetes complications, and whatnot.
I can't tell if you are being metaphorical or practical.
Clarify.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,214,155 times
I didn't read anything in this post other than the thread subject. The answer is NO.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 AM

10,317 posts, read 3,247,384 times
Quote:
  • Leviticus 20 has nothing to do with gays, as it doesn't say the same thing in the original language as it does in English. It's condemning pagan prostitution in the temples of the Caananite gods. And even if it did condemn homosexuality it was a law exclusive to the Ancient Israelites, not all of humanity.

Btw, God also demanded people who work on Saturdays to be executed. Guess God hates Waitresses too!

Exodus 32:5 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 6:9 is a modern corruption. Homosexuality was added to that verse in 1958. Never in history has it meant that prior, in fact for the entire reformation it condemned masturbators, because it's a singular word. It's also masculine and can't refer to lesbians. Not a single use of that word throughout Antiquity and classical literature has ever listed it as a sexual sin, let alone homosexuality.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 AM

1,024 posts, read 429,054 times
No, they preach hate & that should never be considered right.

Most verses used to stigmatize homosexuality are taken out of context & misrepresenting what the bible was actually condemning in the first place. For example, men raping men & a wife committing adultery to be with a woman is obviously not the same as being homosexual or engaging in consensual, unadulterated same-sex relationships.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:37 AM

3,747 posts, read 1,604,098 times
Quote:
I guess you could conclude that I am at a point in my life where I am spiritually "dead", because I've been searching for the right answer and have still not gotten it.
OK, I have only one question for you: Do you believe in a god?

Moderator cut: edit

Ignore the teachings of any religion and figure out for yourself what your god would like you to do and how your god would like you to live your life.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM

416 posts, read 145,823 times
Quote:

Yes. It is a sin. Yes, God hates sinners. Of course, we are all sinners...and until we trust in Christ's sacrifice to pay for our sin, we face God's wrath--straight or gay.

The Westboro inbreeds are not a Christian church. They've got some serious issues with their theology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity