Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:08 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
When you delight yourself in The Lord you don't ask amiss.
Apparently the Christians James was writing to were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Apparently the Christians James was writing to were.
Obviously.

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart

Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I've heard this phrase before, and I've been having some interesting thoughts about this too. I'm posting this to see what some of your views are it. In other words, what does it mean to you? I will post a follow up response (in thread)after a while, either this evening or tomorrow morning.
yeah , those kids who die before their a year old in africa dont need food so god doesnt give it to them

Old 09-24-2021, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Actually that's not true at all. At least in my case. I've gotten exactly what I wanted. Ever since I moved out of my parents house (which was last year), I have been on a spiritual journey with God. I have always relied on faith and prayer in the past to get myself and my family out of the MANY troubles we were always in. And God always delivered. But when I moved out, God really showed me new things and took me on a path of learning how to apply faith in EVERYTHING I did. I relied on faith and prayer to receive almost everything I wanted up until this point since then. Including moving out. And I say "almost everything" because I'm still trying to figure out what I haven't gotten that I prayed for. God says in the Bible delight yourself in him and he will give you the desires of your heart. He also says in Matthews 21:22 "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer". And that is exactly what happened!

BUT - he also taught me several other things that will help in different ways in my life. Specifically financially. I say that because I asked him in prayer that I wanted to avoid all the financial problems my family has gone through in the past and that I wanted to be better than that and that I wanted to even become wealthy. I asked him to show me how to accomplish this. And boy did I get what I asked for. I got a wealth on knowledge from various sources on how to become exactly that. And I know I will be eventually. But two very important aspects that I learned from all the information that I read about that EVERY Christian needs to know and put into practice RIGHT NOW is tithing & spoken word affirmations. Two things the rich have learned well and profited from.

For Christians to have a financially prosperous life, give 10% (or more) of your gross income to the church tithe, and speak positive affirmations over your finances. The power of life and death is in the tongue. God revealed to me that the spoken word is very powerful and very real. Every time you speak aloud about how "poor" you are, you are reinforcing that to the universe and the universe is arranging things to happen in your life to keep you that way. You must must must speak prosperity over your life. And you must must must tithe! I can't stress that enough. I was blessed MAJORLY from doing these two things and I get what I want and pray for all the time in addition to being protected from demonic forces.
Hey allenk893, can you please help me in speaking prosperity over my life, like examples on how to do it. I too am on spiritual journey with God, but i'm only 14 years old so I can't tithe yet, but once I get a chance in life I definitely will. I know the Lord can bless me with what I need AND what I want, and I know you need faith and trust in God. I also know that you need to pray to God, communicating with him every single day, but I just need some help with what I must say aloud to have the Lord bless me with the desires of my heart (they aren't wrong desires).

Old 09-26-2021, 05:29 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,006,629 times
Quote:
I've heard this phrase before, and I've been having some interesting thoughts about this too. I'm posting this to see what some of your views are it. In other words, what does it mean to you? I will post a follow up response (in thread)after a while, either this evening or tomorrow morning.

It means that if one serves Him, Jehovah will provide his needs Mat 6:26-34

Old 10-01-2021, 03:16 AM

614 posts, read 172,967 times
Sometimes, God answers your prayers and you haven't realized what His answer was. When I was twelve, I had a dream. I met God. I was there in front of Him. There was this amazing feeling of love. It felt physical, the feeling.

Afterward, God showed me a slag pile. Something deep within the pile was saying, "me, me." All my life I thought that meant something inside of me that was too selfish. Lately, I have come to realize it was God pointing out the lack of love that I had received in my life and my need for it. We need love to become anything but slag. I was calling out for that love by trying to draw attention to myself. God was telling me that He could see that.

I think we misunderstand God all of the time. He uses all of our misses to teach us. In some way He works those things out for good, but it doesn't mean that He intended for us to be ignorant of His intentions. Rather we tend to insist. Faith has to do with how we see God. Before we can, we have to have the capacity to. Where does that come from? Don't we, at least, need a thread of love to catch an end of? Isn't that His nature?

Last edited by Am I a Prophet; 10-01-2021 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: the writing process

Old 10-01-2021, 08:01 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,382,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am I a Prophet View Post
Sometimes, God answers your prayers and you haven't realized what His answer was. When I was twelve, I had a dream. I met God. I was there in front of Him. There was this amazing feeling of love. It felt physical, the feeling.

Afterward, God showed me a slag pile. Something deep within the pile was saying, "me, me." All my life I thought that meant something inside of me that was too selfish. Lately, I have come to realize it was God pointing out the lack of love that I had received in my life and my need for it. We need love to become anything but slag. I was calling out for that love by trying to draw attention to myself. God was telling me that He could see that.

I think we misunderstand God all of the time. He uses all of our misses to teach us. In some way He works those things out for good, but it doesn't mean that He intended for us to be ignorant of His intentions. Rather we tend to insist. Faith has to do with how we see God. Before we can, we have to have the capacity to. Where does that come from? Don't we, at least, need a thread of love to catch an end of? Isn't that His nature?

Great witness - thanks for sharing!

Old 10-01-2021, 08:38 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
It means that if one serves Him, Jehovah will provide his needs Mat 6:26-34
Serve schmerve! How can you take that passage in Mat 6:26-34 where nothing needs to be done to receive God's blessings and use it to justify becoming a slave or servant of God instead of one of His beloved children!!???!!

Old 10-01-2021, 09:10 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,717 times
Quote:
Jehovah God does give EVERYONE certain things, this include those who refuse to do his will ,(1John 2:4). or chose not to follow in Jesus steps, (Luke 9:23), such as LIFE! but he has from the days of old up to now. given the faithful servants ,some of what they desired. Hannah didn't have any children in which she desired. later she was blessed with a Son. she didn't necessary needed a child, she wanted one. some don't understand what Jesus meant when he said at (Matt. 7:7,8 Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened). MANY take it to mean in a material sense.

Jesus NEVER taught to ask for material things. though he does know that his Father can give material things. he did with Solomon, (1Kings 3:13 And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days). Solomon received these blessing ,NOT because he ask for material things. but because he wanted to do Jehovah God Will. by ask God to give him a "understanding heart" when it came to judging the Israelites. as well as the knowledge to know the difference between "good and evil." Jesus was referring to Spiritual things.

Jesus said NOT to gain treasures of this world, for he KNOWS that MANY will love their material things more than God ,(Matt. 6:19-21 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also). so again, what Jesus said..."ask and you will receive" (as in asking for material things), would be in total contradiction to his words at Matthew 6.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:15 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Serve schmerve! How can you take that passage in Mat 6:26-34 where nothing needs to be done to receive God's blessings and use it to justify becoming a slave or servant of God instead of one of His beloved children!!???!!
The apostle Paul, James, Peter, Jude, and John all referred to themselves as bond-servants or slaves of Jesus. They did not consider being a child of God and being a bond-servant or slave of the Lord to be mutually exclusive. Why then do you?

Last edited by Michael Way; 10-01-2021 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity