U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:37 AM

4,368 posts, read 4,083,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Pacifist? No.

Agreed! Isaiah 9:6

Matt. 10

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Revelation 19:11-16

"And I saw heaven opened; and behold, a white horse, and He who say upon it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and wages war. And His eyes are a flame of fire, and upon His head are many crowns; and He has a name written which no one knows except Himself. And He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood; and His name is called the Word of God. And the armies, which are in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, were following Him on white horses. And from his mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may smite the nations; and he will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the winepress of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty. And on his robe and on His thigh He has a name written, "King of Kings and Lord of Lords (Revelation 19:11-16)."
Nothing like taking something out of context
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 AM

863 posts, read 1,020,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Just what the title says: Was Jesus a pacifist? It is my understanding that he was.
Is there evidence to the contrary?
It appears so, at least in his (recorded) adulthood. But his father was passive-agressive.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:07 AM

20,881 posts, read 22,584,882 times
Jews at the time went with the flow of whatever country leadership they had to deal with. Jews cared more for their spirituality than fighting with those in charge. And Jesus was one born as one of them. Judaism at the time had strict rules in relation to its religion and as a person he wanted the rules to be much less strict. Thus he went against the normal flow and in that sense he was not a pacifist but an instigator.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,098,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Jews at the time went with the flow of whatever country leadership they had to deal with. Jews cared more for their spirituality than fighting with those in charge. And Jesus was one born as one of them. Judaism at the time had strict rules in relation to its religion and as a person he wanted the rules to be much less strict. Thus he went against the normal flow and in that sense he was not a pacifist but an instigator.
Yes; religion became their god, and abandoned God Himself. (And I think it's happening all over again...)

Peace,
brian

Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Yes; religion became their god, and abandoned God Himself. (And I think it's happening all over again...)

Peace,
brian
You really want to attack Jews and proclaim peace on the same page??

Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 PM

6,824 posts, read 4,848,592 times
The Scriptures talk about a spiritual war in which is playing out through us. The following is talking about Jesus Christ regarding the second coming.

Genesis 3:15
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Zechariah 14

King James Version (KJV)

14 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.

2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

3 Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.

4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the Lord my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.

Isaiah 63

1 Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save.

2 Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat?

3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.

4 For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come.

5 And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me.

6 And I will tread down the people in mine anger, and make them drunk in my fury, and I will bring down their strength to the earth.

Revelation 21

11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, King Of Kings, And Lord Of Lords.

17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;

18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.

19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

2 Thessalonians 2

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

Isaiah 13:7-9

King James Version (KJV)

7 Therefore shall all hands be faint, and every man's heart shall melt:

8 And they shall be afraid: pangs and sorrows shall take hold of them; they shall be in pain as a woman that travaileth: they shall be amazed one at another; their faces shall be as flames.

9 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.

We want God's mercy.

Romans 5:8-10

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

The Cross was God's ultimate demonstration of his LOVE for us. If our sins are not judged on that cross, they will fall upon our own person. The wages of sin is death. The payment is one that we can not pay. The only result can be God's wrath.

Jesus is YHWH God incarnate. He is a warrior. During his ministry on earth, he was demonstrating how we are to love God and one another. The Almighty God disrobed of his glory entering his Creation as a man and humble servant. He went to the cross voluntarily so we could be with him paying the penalty we could not pay. There will be no excuse for not accepting his provision for our sin. Salvation is a gift freely given to anyone that comes to God accepting Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord independent of human merit to deserve it.

Isaiah 53

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 PM

7,064 posts, read 5,425,575 times
Quote:
Just what the title says: Was Jesus a pacifist? It is my understanding that he was.
It may look that way. However, there are some examples of Jesus actually taking action. For instance, when he saw what was being done in the temple (which was dishonoring to God), he took some whips and ran people out of the temple.

He wasn't really a pacifist. He just knew that this wasn't the time to lash out in violence.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 PM

6,225 posts, read 9,486,572 times
Quote:
Yeah right!! The problem with liberals is that they think Jesus hung out with sinners because he wanted to be friends with them. Not! Jesus walked with those kinds of people because he was preaching the word for them to be saved! Not to be friends! And Jesus IS God and the holy spirit in three persons. The same God who rained down fire and brimstone over Sodom and Gomorrah is the same Jesus who walked the Earth. They are NOT separate entities. If you people tried reading the Bible every now and then, you would know that. That's why I laugh every time I hear a liberal talk about Jesus like he was some kind of pot smoking peace loving hippie. Lol please. He clearly states in the Bible.

Matthews 10:34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

To assume Jesus was a pacifist is extremely foolish.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 PM

6,816 posts, read 4,272,337 times
"resist no evil"
"if a man takes your shirt, give him your other"
"I came not to bring peace, but the sword and the fire"
"and he made a whip to chastise the money changers in the temple"
"and he cursed the fig tree, for it did not follow his orders"
"and bring those who disagree with the King to his feat so he may slaughter them"

More like the prince of lies and hypocrisy.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
"and he made a whip to chastise the money changers in the temple"

...More like the prince of lies and hypocrisy.
Now that the money changers are gone (replaced by credit cards). How would he react now with numerous Churches requiring membership fees, 10% of you gross income and a near weekly donation request? Yet current Jewish Temples require much smaller fees, some donations through the year and some do 10% of the NET income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or